building an AMD system - driver installation order?

Old July 30th 04, 08:30 PM
Nikko

Default building an AMD system - driver installation order?

I'm about to put together my first AMD system. I've read in various forums
that there after installing XP, there is a specific order one should install
drivers, service packs, etc for optimum performance and to reduce any
"weirdness". Is this true? If so, can someone point me to a definitive
source that specifies what the correct order for installation is? Here is
what one person posted on Anandtech but he seemed unsure if it was correct:

XP
Service Pack 1 (or 2 when it's out)
Nforce drivers
AMD drivers
Direct X 9.0
Video Drivers
Other Drivers/Windows update patches

Does that look correct? I don't even know what nForce drivers are. Aren't
they the same as video drivers?

For what it's worth, here is the hardware I will be installing, at least
some which I'll need to also install drivers for:

AMD 64 3200+
Asus K8V Deluxe
2 Maxtor 160 GB hard drives
1024 MB PC2700 Crucial RAM
Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum
nVidia 6800GT AGP video card

Old July 30th 04, 10:51 PM
Shep©

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:30:07 GMT As another one bit the dust "Nikko"
wrote :

[...]

Install the,"Mother board" drivers 1st.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old July 30th 04, 11:35 PM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:30:07 GMT, "Nikko"
wrote:

Does that look correct? I don't even know what nForce drivers are. Aren't
they the same as video drivers?

Geez you most have spent alot on that system. I saw someone posting
about a killer AMD 64 deal - 3200 and ASUS board for 192 !!! Amazing.
But thats over now . Still the AMD64s are really coming down. I would
have been tempted to upgrade a whole sooner if Id heard about the deal
sooner.

Since I dont have a 64 bit system Im assuming its the same - all you
really need to worry about is to have SP1 if you have a really large
HD like 120gig+ and the Nvidia drivers - cause you need them or your
hard disk controllers often wont work - the add on ones. Usually the
RAID/SATA ones. Nvidia has other stuff too though for their
motherboards - more than just video and hard disk controller drivers.

But its all part of one download - platform stuff and then you have
separate video drivers.

Once you have that stuff in you shouldnt have any problems installing
the other stuff.
Old July 31st 04, 01:53 AM
Nikko

wrote:

Does that look correct? I don't even know what nForce drivers are.

Aren't
they the same as video drivers?

Geez you most have spent alot on that system. I saw someone posting
about a killer AMD 64 deal - 3200 and ASUS board for 192 !!! Amazing.
But thats over now . Still the AMD64s are really coming down. I would
have been tempted to upgrade a whole sooner if Id heard about the deal
sooner.

I actually got in on that AMD deal which is why my upgrade is an AMD and not
an Intel like it usually is. I got the video card for $390 tax included but
I had an All In Wonder 9800 that I sold for $310 so it didn't cost me too
much to upgrade that. The hard drives were $70 each at Fry's. The RAM I
pulled out of my old system. So it didn't cost as much as it could have
overall.