Notebook: how to use it?

Old March 28th 08, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Mhaxx

Default Notebook: how to use it?

It's the first notebook I have and it's Windows Vista based.

If it has the battery then you can stand-by it starting from the state
you left.

If it hasn't the battery (i.e. because I removed to use the AC) then
you can stand-by but if you disconnect it from AC you loose the state
and system asks to restart from an anormal stop. Is it normal?

Okay, let's suppose it's. If you end Windows Vista (instead of
stand-bying it) this shouldn't happen, but it still happens, that is
after reconnect the AC it starts saying something about an anormal
stop.. why? I shut it down!

My final question is: can never disconnect the AC if there isn't the
battery inside the notebook?! :-OO

Mhaxx
Old March 29th 08, 01:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
L.E. Funt

spit the hook

"Ralph2" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:51:12 GMT, Mhaxx wrote:

It's the first notebook I have and it's Windows Vista based.

If it has the battery then you can stand-by it starting from the state
you left.

If it hasn't the battery (i.e. because I removed to use the AC) then
you can stand-by but if you disconnect it from AC you loose the state
and system asks to restart from an anormal stop. Is it normal?

Okay, let's suppose it's. If you end Windows Vista (instead of
stand-bying it) this shouldn't happen, but it still happens, that is
after reconnect the AC it starts saying something about an anormal
stop.. why? I shut it down!

My final question is: can never disconnect the AC if there isn't the
battery inside the notebook?! :-OO

Mhaxx

It is hard to know whether to take you seriously.. But the first
question would be... WHY are you removing the battery?

Old March 29th 08, 05:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
A Nother

"Mhaxx" wrote in message

It's the first notebook I have and it's Windows Vista based.

How sad.

If it has the battery then you can stand-by it starting from the state
you left.

If it hasn't the battery (i.e. because I removed to use the AC) then
you can stand-by but if you disconnect it from AC you loose the state
and system asks to restart from an anormal stop. Is it normal?

Of course. How could it be otherwise? You must shut the system down via the
Windows key before removing power. If you don't you can wreck the software
and will have to reinstall it.

Old March 29th 08, 08:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Mhaxx

If it hasn't the battery (i.e. because I removed to use the AC) then
you can stand-by but if you disconnect it from AC you loose the state
and system asks to restart from an anormal stop. Is it normal?

Of course. How could it be otherwise? You must shut the system down via the
Windows key

But even if I did it the system crashes! That's no normal in my
opinion, am I wrong?

before removing power. If you don't you can wreck the software
and will have to reinstall it.

Sorry, but with my desktop PC I can shut it down and unplug it from
AC, then when I replug it everything will work righ! Why can't I do
the same with laptop?

Mhaxx
Old March 29th 08, 08:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Mhaxx

question would be... WHY are you removing the battery?

To preser it since I often work with notebook at home.

Mhaxx
Old March 29th 08, 12:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Han

I think you should know the difference between standby and shut down.

Standby = low power preservation of the last state of the system, but power
IS NEEDED to keep that state alive.

Shut down = finish writing all settings (registry, ini files, flush temp
files, etc), and prepare machine for zero power. However, many machines
now keep some power going even if you turn them OFF. Hence the continuing
discussion whether to unplug the machine if you going to futz with the
innards (so as not to get a shock, or generate a power surge), or keep it
plugged in (so as to keep the chassis grounded).

--
Best regards
Han
Old March 29th 08, 03:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Mhaxx

I think you should know the difference between standby and shut down.

I know.. :-)

Shut down = finish writing all settings (registry, ini files, flush temp
files, etc), and prepare machine for zero power. However, many machines
now keep some power going even if you turn them OFF. Hence the continuing
discussion whether to unplug the machine if you going to futz with the

Sorry, what's the meaning of "futz with the innards"?

innards (so as not to get a shock, or generate a power surge), or keep it
plugged in (so as to keep the chassis grounded).

My definitive question is: can I unplug the laptop from AC even if I
wait for shut-down end? Maybe I can't explain well but the problem is
the system crashes when I wait for shout-down end and then uplug the
AC (without battery inside), too! Is it normal?

Sorry for my bad English..

Mhaxx
Old March 29th 08, 04:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Han

Mhaxx wrote in
:

I think you should know the difference between standby and shut down.

I know.. :-)

Shut down = finish writing all settings (registry, ini files, flush
temp files, etc), and prepare machine for zero power. However, many
machines now keep some power going even if you turn them OFF. Hence
the continuing discussion whether to unplug the machine if you going
to futz with the

Sorry, what's the meaning of "futz with the innards"?

Fool around with the components inside.

If you can possibly touch components that have electrical charge or
voltage on them, it could be bad for them or you. If that possibility
exists, unplug the machine. I oncetried to move my hobby radio from the
windowsill, and grabbed a transformer designed to power a good size radio
with lots of vacuum tubes. I forgot the whole thing was plugged in to a
Dutch outlet with 220V, 50 Hz. I grabbed it across bare terminals. Not
that 110V 60 Hz is any easier ...

innards (so as not to get a shock, or generate a power surge), or keep
it plugged in (so as to keep the chassis grounded).

My definitive question is: can I unplug the laptop from AC even if I
wait for shut-down end? Maybe I can't explain well but the problem is
the system crashes when I wait for shout-down end and then uplug the
AC (without battery inside), too! Is it normal?

Sorry for my bad English..

Mhaxx

I can force my laptop to shut down (bad Vista does not always shut down
by itself, and I have to hold the power button down to force the thing
off). Then I can unplug everything form the laptop and remove the
battery. It will start up just fine when I turn it on (but sometimes it
asks whether I want to start in safe mode or something else).

The "crash" is really before or during shutdown when things go wrong, but
Vista Home Basic is "smart" enough to start OK again. My system has
something wrong with the driver(s) for the wireless and/or ethernet
controller. Getting new drivers for the Yukon piece of trash does not
seem to help. Otherwise the thing runs fine, albeit slow.
--
Best regards
Han
Old March 30th 08, 01:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Mhaxx

I can force my laptop to shut down (bad Vista does not always shut down
by itself, and I have to hold the power button down to force the thing
off). Then I can unplug everything form the laptop and remove the
battery. It will start up just fine when I turn it on (but sometimes it
asks whether I want to start in safe mode or something else).

Yes, this is what happens to me: I've just tied and it worked good,
but sometimes it askes to me to start in safe mode.. and this is what
I can't understand.

Thanks,

Mhaxx
Old March 30th 08, 02:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Han

Mhaxx wrote in
:

I can force my laptop to shut down (bad Vista does not always shut
down by itself, and I have to hold the power button down to force the
thing off). Then I can unplug everything form the laptop and remove
the battery. It will start up just fine when I turn it on (but
sometimes it asks whether I want to start in safe mode or something
else).

Yes, this is what happens to me: I've just tied and it worked good,
but sometimes it askes to me to start in safe mode.. and this is what
I can't understand.

Thanks,

Mhaxx

Well, generally I tell it to start in normal mode. I am still having on
and off problemns with the expletive deleted Yukon Marvell
radio/ethernet controller. And I cannot get Vasta SP1 to install. Even
after download the 1/2 GB file, install gives me a Code 800B0100 error,
and the info about that error is gobbledygook.

--
Best regards
Han

Second Notebook HDD Nicholas Andrade Dell Computers 6 April 21st 05 02:24 AM
Notebook Ron P Nvidia Videocards 0 January 22nd 05 01:49 PM
Dell SmartStep 200N NOTEBOOK - When I plug the AC Adapter into the notebook, the screen fades to dark. The Truth Dell Computers 2 November 20th 04 04:12 PM
Which notebook is best for me? Burt Johnson General 0 October 1st 03 02:40 AM
Notebook ~misfit~ General 0 September 15th 03 01:12 AM