recovery cds

Old December 13th 07, 07:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
A Nother

Default recovery cds

"sobriquet" wrote in message

The misleading thing is that they have the booklets packaged in
wrapped plastic with a piece of cardboard sandwiched in between, which
at least suggests that there is a CD inside (as you feel something
rigid in the package). So unless people actually unwrap this package
of documentation, which seems unnecessary, given that all software is
pre-installed on HD (or at least will install from HD as soon as the
computer is run the first time), they will probably discover their
mistake of not starting out making a backup too late.
Let's be honest, how many people will actually take the effort to read
the booklets prior to using the laptop, when they already have ample
experience with various laptops in the past from different brands
(that typically tend to come with a recovery CD)?

The salesman I bought mine from tried to sell me the service of having a
recovery DVD made - I took that as a hint that I should make one!

Old December 14th 07, 11:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
occam[_2_]

sobriquet wrote:

But ok, if Acer thinks it's reasonable to charge people EURO 60 for
something that people can make for less than EURO 0.50 (provided they are
wise enough to start out by making a backup), fine. That just means is
has become extremely unlikely I will ever be recommending anyone to
buy an Acer computer.

The slogan you are looking for is:

--Never Acer Again --

Old December 15th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
sobriquet

On 11 dec, 10:54, sobriquet wrote:
Hello.

An acqaintance bought a few acer laptops (along with some acer
computer) but neglected to make a backup of the software that is pre-
installed on the HD (or actually it is installed from the HD when you
start the computer for the first time). Now he installed norton ghost
9 and it seems virtually impossible to remove it. So he opens the
package of user manuals to get the recovery cd and it turns out there
is no recovery cd included. So he mails Acer support and they say they
can mail a recovery cd for 60 euro. Does anyone know if such recovery
cds are specific for a particular laptop or vista version or if they
are generic and can be used on multiple laptops?
Does anyone know why Acer doesn't have such a recovery cd available on
their website for downloading? I guess that fact seems to contradict
the hypothesis of a generic recovery cd.

Anyway, what would be the best sollution to resolve this problem?
Ordering a recovery cd for all the laptops or just using a vista
version from a different source (for instance we appear to have a
legal vista version that came with a regular acer computer) and
obtaining all the drivers and acer tools that are included on the
harddisk from the acer website?

Does anyone have any practical experience installing a different vista
version on an acer laptop and downloading all the additional software
tools from the acer website?

Or perhaps someone has a recovery cd that they can share online (given
that it's supposedly legal to install such recovery cd's on a computer
that has been purchased recently with a legitimate version of vista).

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

I was mistaken about the lack of a backup on HD and I take back
everything I said about Acer. I simply didn't realize there were
recovery DVDs on a separate hidden partition. By now I've managed to
burn the recovery DVDs myself and the whole issue is solved. Sorry for
the confusion, I should have looked a little better in the eRecovery
software because in retrospect it was pretty obvious there was an
option to create the recovery DVDs.
Old December 15th 07, 04:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
A Nother

"occam" wrote in message ...
sobriquet wrote:
The slogan you are looking for is:

--Never Acer Again --

I have no complaint with Acer, just with Microsloth and their broken
software called Vista. The only vista I see is endless problems and fixes
which don't work. How could they ship this product knowing that Windows
Explorer and Internet Explorer are both broken?

Old December 15th 07, 05:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Wandering

And, you were advised to check that out four days ago. Glad you found it.

"sobriquet" wrote in message
[...]

Data Recovery on Memory Stick (USB Disk - USB Recovery) Photo-man Storage (alternative) 0 April 24th 06 06:30 PM
MBR recovery George Macdonald General 3 February 5th 06 10:17 PM
Data Recovery Book and Online Business Promotion, Products Sales Promotion, Search Engine Optimization and Online Data Recovery Training services Author Tarun Tyagi Storage & Hardrives 0 December 14th 04 05:41 PM
Professional Data Recovery Book ( World's First Book on Professional Data Recovery Programming ) Author Tarun Tyagi Storage (alternative) 0 December 1st 04 04:52 PM
Professional Data Recovery Book ( World's First Book on Professional Data Recovery Programming ) Author Tarun Tyagi Storage (alternative) 0 December 1st 04 04:51 PM