You can purchase Windows Vista® today but keep using Windows® XP until you’re ready to upgrade.

Old June 11th 08, 04:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

Default You can purchase Windows Vista® today but keep using Windows® XP until you’re ready to upgrade.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...494&lid=715454
Old June 11th 08, 04:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

Note, the official downgrade is only available for Vista Business or Vista
Ultimate.

Old June 11th 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:13:25 -0400, Tony Harding
wrote:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...494&lid=715454

It would be refreshing to read an article that told the blunt truth:

"We at Dell acknowledge that there is little if anything to gain from
going with Vista, so we are offering the XP downgrade option. We have
mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, we would like to sell you
more hardware which helps our bottom line. On the other hand, it's so
hard for us to effectively market Vista and keep a straight face,
because Vista offers very little if anything in new useful features.
If we told you what we really think we'd recommend that businesses and
individual consumers skip Vista and cross their fingers that Windows 7
will be a worthy upgrade. That's a possibility, but with Ballmer in
charge it's not likely. The biggest advantage of marketing Vista here
at Dell is that it might increase profits due to higher hardware
requirements, something that Michael Dell is interested in because he
has his eyes on a villa in the South of France. If Dell can sell more
hardware, and after we lay off 10,000 more workers, he might be able
to purchase that family vacation home"
Old June 11th 08, 04:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:35:18 -0400, "HDRDTD"
wrote:

Note, the official downgrade is only available for Vista Business or Vista
Ultimate.

Yes -- leaving Vista Home Premium users in the dust.
Old June 11th 08, 06:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Yes -- leaving Vista Home Premium users in the dust.

....which is surprising, considering that many home PC users I've talked to
want to have XP. I've had no problem keeping myself busy doing these
"upgrades" and people will (sometimes reluctantly) pay for XP licenses...

William

Old June 11th 08, 08:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

If you're auditioning for a job in public relations, you just lost out.
Definitely not the writings of a well-versed spin doctor. If you are
auditioning to be part of some legislative or NGO team that wants truth in
advertising, you just won. But we have to vet what you have written. Who are
your sources telling you that Michael Dell wants a villa in the south of France,
and are they reliable? Or are they simply the usual run-of-the-mill bloggers
and rumor mongers? ... Ben Myers

Old June 11th 08, 08:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
news
If you're auditioning for a job in public relations, you just lost out.
Definitely not the writings of a well-versed spin doctor. If you are
auditioning to be part of some legislative or NGO team that wants truth in
advertising, you just won. But we have to vet what you have written. Who
are
your sources telling you that Michael Dell wants a villa in the south of
France,
and are they reliable? Or are they simply the usual run-of-the-mill
bloggers
and rumor mongers? ... Ben Myers

It's "lipstick on a pig" to be sure. But to be fair, Dell was one of the
first - if not THE first - to offer the "XP downgrade" option and to make it
public.

Other OEMs quickly followed soon after.

Old June 12th 08, 04:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:29:43 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

If you're auditioning for a job in public relations, you just lost out.
Definitely not the writings of a well-versed spin doctor. If you are
auditioning to be part of some legislative or NGO team that wants truth in
advertising, you just won. But we have to vet what you have written. Who are
your sources telling you that Michael Dell wants a villa in the south of France,
and are they reliable? Or are they simply the usual run-of-the-mill bloggers
and rumor mongers? ... Ben Myers

I'm guilty -- run of the mill rumor monger :-)
Old June 12th 08, 06:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

S.Lewis wrote:
"Ben Myers" wrote in message
news
If you're auditioning for a job in public relations, you just lost out.
Definitely not the writings of a well-versed spin doctor. If you are
auditioning to be part of some legislative or NGO team that wants truth in
advertising, you just won. But we have to vet what you have written. Who
are
your sources telling you that Michael Dell wants a villa in the south of
France,
and are they reliable? Or are they simply the usual run-of-the-mill
bloggers
and rumor mongers? ... Ben Myers

It's "lipstick on a pig" to be sure. But to be fair, Dell was one of the
first - if not THE first - to offer the "XP downgrade" option and to make it
public.

Other OEMs quickly followed soon after.

Lenovo was the first place I encountered it (Aug or Sept, '07, IIRC)
Old June 12th 08, 03:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Sheesh! You blew that one, too! Where is your well-refined sense of
obfuscation and cover-up, with stonewalling refusal to reveal your sources?

.... Ben Myers