HP Pavillion dv6150 does not recognize CD/DVD

Old January 30th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.computer.drivers,comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware
ritter197

Default HP Pavillion dv6150 does not recognize CD/DVD

My HP Pavillion dv6150us does all of a sudden not recognize the CD/DVD
drive. I deleted the driver, re-installed it. Did not work. I went back to
Windows XP Restore and restored it to 1/20/2007, when I bought the
otherwise wonderful laptop.
It still did not recognize the drive.

In Device manager it shows the CD/DVD drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM but with a
yellow exclamation mark in it.

Uninstalling the driver does work, but the automatic re-install upon startup
results in the same , no recognition under My Computer and yellow
exclamation mark when looked at in Device manager.

There is no newer driver on the HP website.

When I got this laptop new 1 week ago all worked fine.

What else can I do to regain my CD/DVD drive. Mechanically it seems to work,
because upon start up or when I put a CD in it, I see the green light for a
little while.

Using Windows XP Media Center.

Old January 30th 07, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.computer.drivers,comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Mike Walsh

Is the drive recognized correctly by the BIOS?
See if it works with another OS e.g. using a bootable DOS or Linux CD.
Because it is only a week old you could probably take it back and exchange it for another one.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old January 31st 07, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.computer.drivers,comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Neil Green

"Ritter197" wrote in message
[...]

In device manager, delete the IDE controller.
Reboot and let XP reinstall it.
If it's still not working take it in for a warranty
repair.

Old January 31st 07, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.computer.drivers,comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware
ritter197

I tried everything including hours with HP in India support to no avail.

I had to Restore the system, the way HP originally delivered it. (very easy
F11 when starting up and it kept the application I had installed, but
restored the Windows Media XP OS).

THAT worked great and I have to watch now very carefully, what could have
possibly caused the anoyance. I think it happened after Windows update of 57
items.

Old January 31st 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.computer.drivers,comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Neil Green

"Ritter197" wrote in message
I tried everything including hours with HP in India
support to no avail.

I had to Restore the system, the way HP originally
delivered it. (very easy F11 when starting up and it
kept the application I had installed, but restored
the Windows Media XP OS).

THAT worked great and I have to watch now very
carefully, what could have possibly caused the
anoyance. I think it happened after Windows update
of 57 items.

Some poorly written apps can cause that behaviour but
at other times the cause remains a mystery.
I've seen it more than once when both optical drives
become inacessable, usually a reinstall of the IDE
controller will fix it.
It happened to me once when ripping a scratched CD,
the program hung and I had to reset the PC then when
it restarted I'd lost both the drives.
If the same thing happens when you update windows next
time remove updates one by one with add/remove
programs and see if you can find out which one (if
any) is causing the problem, but I doubt that
Microsoft software would be the culprit, it's usually
very well tested.

Old February 2nd 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.computer.drivers,comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware
ritter197

Thanks for the additional help and advice.

I will keep it in the back of my mind should it ever happen again. In 20 +
years it never happened before, I should add though.

Thanks again