SSD - is it ok to use in XP laptop

Old December 11th 13, 10:54 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
WayPoint[_2_]

Default SSD - is it ok to use in XP laptop

On 12-December-2013 7:36 AM, Wildman wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:24:12 +1000, WayPoint wrote:

On 10-December-2013 2:17 PM, ps56k wrote:
A friend has a Dell M1210 laptop running XP - works great.

Can't help you, I threw my laptop in the sea.

It was just a dell, rollin in the deep.

But you could have had it all!

lol :-)
Old December 12th 13, 03:18 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
ps56k[_3_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
I can't comment on SSDs with XP, which is just as well, because others have.

Samsung makes pretty good SSDs too, and I retrofitted 5 i7 laptops running
Windows 7 with 512GB Samsung SSDs for a client. This was back in the summer
and I have not had any complaints, only accolades. VERY fast for software
development, Sharepoint, and humungous Outlook PST files. I also have a
smaller 128GB SSD in my older small Win 7 laptop, and it is great on power
consumption (8 hrs on battery), in addition to being really fast and less
susceptible to head crashes. No head crashes means you don't need to be
concerned about rapid or abrupt movement of the laptop.
-------

-------

My biggest concern, is that when a SSD goes bad,
you will lose ALL of your data at once.
I'm kinda familiar with HDs that seem to act flakey - pending doom -
and then you might have a fighting chance to make copies,
but with a Flash drive SSD - it's all, or nothing.

I've had several flash USB thumb drives go bad - wham - all data gone

Old December 12th 13, 05:48 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:47:41 -0800, Todd wrote:

On 12/11/2013 07:18 PM, ps56k wrote:

My biggest concern, is that when a SSD goes bad,
you will lose ALL of your data at once.

He has a point. If you are going to use an SSD, become
a backup whore.

Regardless of whether you use SSDs or HDs, you are always at risk of
losing everything at once, to many of the most common dangers: drive
crashes, severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus
attacks, even theft of the computer.

That's why you should *always* protect yourself by frequent backup to
external media, regardless of what medium your data is on.
Old December 13th 13, 06:24 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
Gene E. Bloch[_4_]

On 12/12/2013, Ken Blake posted:
wrote:

On 12/11/2013 07:18 PM, ps56k wrote:

My biggest concern, is that when a SSD goes bad,
you will lose ALL of your data at once.

He has a point. If you are going to use an SSD, become
a backup whore.

Regardless of whether you use SSDs or HDs, you are always at risk of
losing everything at once, to many of the most common dangers: drive
crashes, severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus
attacks, even theft of the computer.

That's why you should *always* protect yourself by frequent backup to
external media, regardless of what medium your data is on.

A hearty +1.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old December 13th 13, 11:10 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

wrote:

On 12/11/2013 07:18 PM, ps56k wrote:

My biggest concern, is that when a SSD goes bad,
you will lose ALL of your data at once.
He has a point. If you are going to use an SSD, become
a backup whore.

Regardless of whether you use SSDs or HDs, you are always at risk of
losing everything at once, to many of the most common dangers: drive
crashes, severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus
attacks, even theft of the computer.

That's why you should *always* protect yourself by frequent backup to
external media, regardless of what medium your data is on.

A hearty +1.

Not denying the importance of backing up regardless of what you're
using.

The fact remains, however, that as ps56k says, SSDs fail completely and
without warning - something that makes those of us who're used to HDs
somewhat wary of them. This is quite separate from whether one takes
backups or not - or, for those who live in the real world of
probabilities, rather than theory, means you might take them _more
often_ when using SSDs, as Todd suggests.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

After all is said and done, usually more is said.
Old December 15th 13, 01:24 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
Ron Hardin

The SSDs on our I910s failed slowly. The system would crash on this or that spot
sometimes, but it would come up and you could read data for a few hours or days.

Old December 15th 13, 11:03 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Ron Hardin
writes:
The SSDs on our I910s failed slowly. The system would crash on this or
that spot
sometimes, but it would come up and you could read data for a few hours
or days.

Interesting to know, thanks. (Not that it'll affect me for some years
yet, but it might be of interest to others, so - what makes/models?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to stop thinking. - Dr. Gregory
House (TV character), quoted in Radio Times 1-7/3/2008
Old December 16th 13, 02:00 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
Ron Hardin

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

In message , Ron Hardin
writes:
The SSDs on our I910s failed slowly. The system would crash on this or
that spot
sometimes, but it would come up and you could read data for a few hours
or days.

Interesting to know, thanks. (Not that it'll affect me for some years
yet, but it might be of interest to others, so - what makes/models?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to stop thinking. - Dr. Gregory
House (TV character), quoted in Radio Times 1-7/3/2008

I think it corresponded to the SSD wearing out from writes, as SSDs are reported to do.

The spot may read correctly or it may not, but the SSD as a whole is otherwise sane.

Old December 16th 13, 02:15 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
(PeteCresswell)

Per Ron Hardin:
I think it corresponded to the SSD wearing out from writes, as SSDs are reported to do.

The spot may read correctly or it may not, but the SSD as a whole is otherwise sane.

After reading this thread, it's beginning to dawn on me that maybe the
Windows paging file should be moved from the SSD card to a conventional
hard drive.

Correct so far? Downsides?

Also, is there anything to be gained by having Windows use several
paging files? I've got 3 2-TB discs used for media plus a 1-TB disc
used for backup...
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 16th 13, 02:33 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
Also, is there anything to be gained by having Windows use several
paging files? I've got 3 2-TB discs used for media plus a 1-TB disc
used for backup...

And how about putting another 8 gigs of memory in the PC and, either
just calling it a day and disabling pagefile.sys altogether or
installing some sort of ramdrive utility and assigning pagefile.sys to
the ramdrive?
--
Pete Cresswell