CPU temp increase

Old June 10th 04, 03:27 PM
anon5391

Default CPU temp increase

Asus P4S533, P4 1.6A

My CPU temp at idle has jumped suddenly from 43C to 50C. I don't see any
significant dust accumulation on my HSF. I've not disturbed anything on my
MB or added any new hardware/software.

1) Is it possible the CPU temp probe has become defective?
2) I'm using stock intel HSF with the black coloured heat transfer pad. If I
pull off the HSF can I just stick it back on again or do I have to clean it
off & use thermal grease? TIA

Old June 10th 04, 05:29 PM
Tony Sutton

"anon5391" wrote in message
Asus P4S533, P4 1.6A

My CPU temp at idle has jumped suddenly from 43C to 50C. I don't see any
significant dust accumulation on my HSF. I've not disturbed anything on my
MB or added any new hardware/software.

Maybe it's related to the recent heatwave we have here?

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old June 10th 04, 06:01 PM
the gnome

"Tony Sutton" wrote in message
"anon5391" wrote in message
Asus P4S533, P4 1.6A

My CPU temp at idle has jumped suddenly from 43C to 50C. I don't see any
significant dust accumulation on my HSF. I've not disturbed anything on

my
MB or added any new hardware/software.

Maybe it's related to the recent heatwave we have here?

--

What was the difference between environment temperature and CPU temperature,
because if the former goes up , so will the latter.

the-gnome

Old June 11th 04, 02:08 AM
Navid

"anon5391" wrote in message
Asus P4S533, P4 1.6A

My CPU temp at idle has jumped suddenly from 43C to 50C. I don't see any
significant dust accumulation on my HSF. I've not disturbed anything on my
MB or added any new hardware/software.

1) Is it possible the CPU temp probe has become defective?
2) I'm using stock intel HSF with the black coloured heat transfer pad. If
pull off the HSF can I just stick it back on again or do I have to clean
it
off & use thermal grease? TIA

There is a thermal pad on the stock heat sink. If you remove the sink, you
will have to remove the pad and clean it as well as the CPU. Then, use
thermal paste. It may still not be as good as it was. This will be the
case if there is a large gap between the CPU and the sink due to non-flat
surfaces. In such cases, the thermal pad can fill the large gap better.

I don't want to scare you off. But, you should know that replacing a
thermal pad with thermal paste does not always improve heat transfer!

Old June 11th 04, 02:55 AM
Homer

Have you tried running with out the case cover on. If it runs cooler
increase your air flow. I bought a P4 power supply with 2 fans and put in a
front case fan and I had a great drop in temp. On hot days I will take the
side of the case off when I am playing a lot of games on line.

Old June 11th 04, 03:57 AM
Mac Cool

"anon5391" said:

My CPU temp at idle has jumped suddenly from 43C to 50C.

Don't worry about it. It's probably just the weather.
--
Mac Cool
Old June 11th 04, 06:53 AM
anon5391

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I've found the problem. The culprit was a
program called SpywareGuard. It kept the CPU at 100% utilisation! I'd
recently downloaded & installed it then forgotten about it.

Thought I'd just share the experience. Thanks again

Old June 11th 04, 07:06 AM
JB

"anon5391" wrote in message
Asus P4S533, P4 1.6A

My CPU temp at idle has jumped suddenly from 43C to 50C. I don't see any
significant dust accumulation on my HSF. I've not disturbed anything on my
MB or added any new hardware/software.

1) Is it possible the CPU temp probe has become defective?
2) I'm using stock intel HSF with the black coloured heat transfer pad. If

pull off the HSF can I just stick it back on again or do I have to clean

it
off & use thermal grease? TIA

For a reference, I have the P4S533 with 1.8A running at 2.79. I just
finished a one hour test with 3dmark2001 looping. The room temperature was
25C and the cpu maximum temperature was 49C. The cpu temperature is 34C as
I write this.

You did not mention how the fan is powered. I recommend that you do not use
Q-fan for the cpu with this board as it cannot source enough current to run
the fan full=speed. You can run the Intel fan from the harness and it will
control it's speed as needed.

Your idle temperature indicates that you may have either insufficient
cooling or that a program is running unknownst to you. Use task manager to
see if something is hogging the cpu. You may have a software problem.

I replaced the original Intel cooler with another Intel cooler sold as
"refurbished" by Newegg. The cooler is an improved design and only cost $5
with free shipping. This type cooler has the thermal compound pre-applied
and the cooler is not designed to be resused if it's removed. Of course
there is nothing to stop you from reusing it with another thermal compound
but I doubt if you could obtain the uniformity of the original compound
application. The result could be better or worse.

Old June 11th 04, 10:47 AM
Tim

Hurry and get ad-aware or some reputable any spy ware software, update it
and give it a good whirl.
Spyware Guard may not be what it claims to be.
- Tim

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
"anon5391" said:

My CPU temp at idle has jumped suddenly from 43C to 50C.

Don't worry about it. It's probably just the weather.
--
Mac Cool

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
CPU temp increase anon5391 Homebuilt PC's 12 June 16th 04 12:06 PM
temp? Toshi1873 Homebuilt PC's 1 April 9th 04 11:18 PM
Confused over AMD PR rating Overclocking AMD Processors 2 January 28th 04 01:18 AM
GA 7N400-PRO...new bios NewB Overclocking AMD Processors 5 August 19th 03 09:06 AM