frozen keyboard

Old February 19th 04, 10:17 PM
Ted A Turner

Default frozen keyboard

Hope this is the right group for this - apologies in advance otherwise

Installed a new SATA hard drive and a ASUS A7N8X 'board but having
difficulty setting up XP. As Windoze startup runs from the CD I have
to hit F6 to install the SATA drivers (BIOS hasnt recognised the HDD
yet) from floppy. The problem is I have to hit F6 literally two dozen
times to ensure its recognised - any less and it simply continues
right up to the point where we get to Repair or Install - obviously
wrong. Having clumped hell out of the keyboard and got to the Setup
screen where I can specify additional devices, Im still buggered coz
no matter how many times I tap the S key, or any other for that
matter, it dont recognise the input. Even booting to a DOS prompt from
a boot disk only works about half the time, otherwise the keyboard
gives no response. Aint the keyboard, since Ive used two with the same
result. In desperation even used a USB one and still got same problem,
so that elimates a problem with the PS/2 port. What gives? TIA
Old February 19th 04, 11:48 PM
Tim

Ted,

Have you got one of those fancy keybaords with an F Lock key on it?

- TIm

Old February 20th 04, 03:14 AM
Rob

Ted A Turner wrote:
[...]

I know this sounds strange but a couple times I had keyboard problems
like you've mentioned. I removed all power, pulled the mains plug,
waited a few minutes and restarted. It worked fine after that. Guess
things got messed up in the chipset/keyboard controller and since the
+5VSB gets removed that way, it cleared up. HTH.

Rob

Old February 20th 04, 10:31 AM
Ted A Turner

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 03:14:47 GMT, Rob
dribbled:

Ted A Turner wrote:
[...]

Curiouser and curiouser ;o)
Ive got to the stage where I can *guarantee* to have the keyboard
working, or I can *guarantee* to have it not.

To have the keyboard work, simply allow the computer to boot from the
CD and ignore all prompts until Windoze offers a repair or an intsall
- any keys you press now are recognised, including ENTER to contine.
Of course, as soon as you do press ENTER, Windoze informs you that it
cant find a hard drive and press F3 to exit, which annoying works too!

To have the keyboard *not* work, hit F6 repeatedly (and I mean
repeatedly) during startup. This will allow Windoze to get to the
prompt that Setup will permit you to specify additional drives, by
pressing S. No key responds now.

I can only get to a conventional startup screen by chance, but on the
rare occasions I do Windoze gives me a standard "Keyboard error - no
keyboard present" error message. Frustratingly, the keyboard works at
this point, pressing F1 to continue!

Aaaarggghhhh ;o)

Old February 21st 04, 09:00 AM
Tim

Ted,

Could there be a problem with your floppy drive - is the cable in the right
way around?
Perhaps you bumped power or something on the floppy and that is where the
issue is.

People have reported similar issues: keyboard intermittency if the grounding
flanges by the PS2 connector don't touch the chassis.