wireless signal dropping

Old November 13th 11, 03:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jinxy[_2_]

Default wireless signal dropping

Hello, I am trying to figure out why my router is randomly dropping
the wireless connection. It will go for days before it drops or
sometimes just a few hours. The router in question is a Linksys WRT54g
v.3
It is located in our crawlspace where it is cool and dry. There is a
home phone modem and a cable modem on the same bench.
The router is running Tomato 1.28 a third party firmware. This router
is a solid performer other than this intermittent problem. When it
does lose the wireless connection, we simply unplug the power cable to
the router, wait about 10 secs; and we are back in business again. Is
my router getting ready to pack it in or is there an interference
issue? I would not like to use this solution if there is a fix. Anyone
having any ideas as to why this is happening please jump in and offer
your ideas or advice.
Thanks for listening
-J
Old November 13th 11, 05:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 07:50:24 -0800 (PST), jinxy
wrote:

[...]

In cases like this I usually buy a new one just in case or to keep as
a spare. Things like this are so hard to cure. My whole neighborhood
was down for some time, actually a very long time when I decide to add
a 2.4 Gig wireless receiver/transmitter system to my surveillance
machine. I hate to recount the havoc it caused on so many that
actually bought a new laptop, router, modem, switched ISPs and who
even knows what else before I finally stopped using those
transmitters. So you may never know what could be your source of
trouble and if it is not the router you can always return it. It could
very well be your other wireless devices.

Al
Old November 13th 11, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 14/11/2011 2:50 AM, jinxy wrote:
[...]

2 things come to mind here. One is the state of your power supply. Do
you have the router and/or the modem on a UPS? They are very handy for
filtering the spikes, etc. that occur on the mains and also provide a
period of battery backup. I had much less hassle simply using a surge
suppression power board.

The other possibility is interference on the wifi. Try changing the
channel and see if the issue still arises. You might want to do a scan
around your immediate neighbourhood with someething like wireshark to
see what signals are present and what channel they are on.

Another issue that could appear to be random is the use of a 2.4 GHz
portable phone system in your house or in that of a near neighbour. One
of my friends had a problem with that, every time he used the phone his
wifi would drop out and often stay out until the router was reset.

--

Krypsis
Old November 14th 11, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , KBee wrote:
On Nov 13, 10:50=A0am, jinxy wrote:
[...]

Have you thought about your telephone. Alot of routers and cordless
phones are on the same frequency. If your on your phone and the
wireless drops that may be it. 802.11b is on 2.4GHZ same as a
cordless phone.

Also, there are multiple channels you can change your router to.

Wireless dropping out GT[_8_] General 11 February 25th 11 04:28 PM
Dropping Wireless Connection. Saml Dell Computers 25 September 20th 07 05:04 PM
Video signal dropping out in games Mitchua General 0 April 23rd 04 12:57 PM
wireless connection dropping after a few min connected Liashi General Hardware 0 April 2nd 04 12:01 AM
Wireless signal Altar General 0 November 28th 03 01:45 PM