Driver issue??????

Old November 2nd 10, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

Default Driver issue??????

I can see this is not a straightforward issue to sort out. Anyway, I'm
replaying the game on medium and let's see if I'm going to experience
the crashes I had experienced while the graphics were set high. Watch
this space.

The game started nicely but I'm afraid to say that it kept crashing at
the latter part no matter what graphics resolution was set. It even
crashed when I was a few minutes into the game. Temp. running at 72 C
during the game.

Perhaps you once had an Nvidia card installed?

Anyway, One of the things I tried was to bring the system up using the
MS VGA/SVGA driver only. This allowed me to make sure that no ATI or
Nvidia drivers were active. Earlier version CCC and other AMD software
was uninstalled.
The registry was checked for left over entries and any obvious ATI and
Nvidia video card related entries were eliminated. (I did save sections
so that they might be restored if necessary.)
There may have been some left over from the earlier ATI drivers included
in Win 7, which installed automatically.
Any ATI startup entries were removed.
In my case my win 7 32b system was first used with an older Nvidia card
I had around until an HD4890 was installed. The card had many of the
problems you mentioned. Switching to an HD 5770 was a slight
improvement, but still no cigar. Finally, after a series of driver
updates, things calmed down quite a bit. Still not flawless. Crysis
Warhead will still occasionally crash to the menu. However, Resume game
gets me back to the game, instead of a hard crash to desktop or worse.

I did this too with driver cleaners, Windows XP Pro. SP3's safe mode,
registry cleaners, etc. They did not work for me. I think Crysis isn't
good for ATi video cards. NVIDIA didn't have problems. Also, other games
and softwares have no problems with this ATI video card and Catalyst
v9.x drivers. I have not tried v10.x drivers since I got sick of
upgrading and don't play games much anymore (haven't finished Crysis
either). I doubt v10 will fix my Crysis crashes.
--
Quote of the Week: "The antics begin!" --SimAnt Game
/\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
Old November 2nd 10, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

On 11/2/2010 3:05 PM, Ant wrote:
[...]

and software have no problems with this ATI video card and Catalyst
v9.x drivers. I have not tried v10.x drivers since I got sick of
upgrading and don't play games much anymore (haven't finished Crysis
either). I doubt v10 will fix my Crysis crashes.

Driver ver 10.10 helps but is not a complete cure. Actually, you can get
a driver crash and automatic recovery in other games and apps.

DX10 mode made things worse! You should try--

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin32\crysistest.bat

crysistest.bat contents

@echo Running testbat
@echo Using DX9
pause
@echo Running...
@crysis.exe -DX9

It's possible to also do this in a shortcut command line if you get the
punctuation exactly correct!
Old November 3rd 10, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

I did this too with driver cleaners, Windows XP Pro. SP3's safe mode,
registry cleaners, etc. They did not work for me. I think Crysis isn't
good for ATi video cards. NVIDIA didn't have problems. Also, other games
and software have no problems with this ATI video card and Catalyst
v9.x drivers. I have not tried v10.x drivers since I got sick of
upgrading and don't play games much anymore (haven't finished Crysis
either). I doubt v10 will fix my Crysis crashes.

Driver ver 10.10 helps but is not a complete cure. Actually, you can get
a driver crash and automatic recovery in other games and apps.

Ah, I don't get crashes in other softwares on my box. Only in Crysis.

DX10 mode made things worse! You should try--

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin32\crysistest.bat

crysistest.bat contents

@echo Running testbat
@echo Using DX9
pause
@echo Running...
@crysis.exe -DX9

It's possible to also do this in a shortcut command line if you get the
punctuation exactly correct!

Well, I can't do DirectX 10+ since I am still using XP.