real performance gain

Old May 7th 04, 02:59 AM
sam unwise

Default real performance gain

if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
the real performance gain be?
Old May 7th 04, 05:39 AM
Augustus

"sam unwise" wrote in message
om...
if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
the real performance gain be?

I run my Barton 2500 / 2 x 512Mb PC3200 dual channel at 200fsb for XP3200+
level performance, and it's considerably faster in all real and synthetic
benchmarks. Gets just under 12,000 in 3DMark 2001 with my Radeon 8500 128Mb.
So, yeah, it's worth it.

Old May 7th 04, 10:08 AM
Scumball

I run my mobile Barton 2400 / 2 x 256Mb PC3700 dual channel at 246fsb for
XP3960+
level performance, and it's considerably faster in all real and synthetic
benchmarks. Gets just under 19000 in 3DMark 2001 with my Radeon 8500 128Mb
(at stock).
So, yeah, it's worth it.

"Augustus" wrote in message

om...

Old May 7th 04, 11:39 AM
R Thompson

"sam unwise" wrote in message
om...
if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
the real performance gain be?

I can't raise my FSB w/o increasing my AGP/PCI bus as well. What would
increasing my FSB on my Barton 2500 do to AGP/PCI? I'd like to get more out
of my 2500 but don't want to screw up my video card somehow.

Ga-7vax
XP2500 Barton
2 512 Corsair XMS PC 2700
ATI 9800 Pro

Old May 7th 04, 11:50 AM
Scumball

"R Thompson" wrote in message

"sam unwise" wrote in message
om...
if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
the real performance gain be?

I can't raise my FSB w/o increasing my AGP/PCI bus as well. What would
increasing my FSB on my Barton 2500 do to AGP/PCI?

No PCI divider ?
If not, then raising FSB/PCI will bork your Winstall above 40 PCIB.

Old May 7th 04, 06:34 PM
Hippy Paul

"R Thompson" wrote in message

"sam unwise" wrote in message
om...
if i where to take my 2500 barton and set the fbs to 200 what would
the real performance gain be?

I can't raise my FSB w/o increasing my AGP/PCI bus as well. What would
increasing my FSB on my Barton 2500 do to AGP/PCI? I'd like to get more

out
of my 2500 but don't want to screw up my video card somehow.

At about 180 - 185mhz fsb the system will refuse to boot up/fall over, it
may even be unstable below 180mhz with freezes/reboots happening. It is
unlikely that any damage will be done to the video card, other than it
falling over.

So the other option is to change the multiplier value, if you have an
unlocked cpu and a full range of multiplier options then it is easy - if not
then there is a work-around for the locking
that works on the KT chipsets.

BTW - any luck with the paging files?

Old May 7th 04, 08:56 PM
R Thompson

"Hippy Paul" wrote in message

"R Thompson" wrote in message

"sam unwise" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yeah, that one was my stupidity. I have Win98SE on the other HD and one
file was the Win2K pagefile and the other the 98 swapfile.

As for the OC'ing, my MB doesn't support changing the multiplier as far as I
know and I thought that raising the FSB with the PCI/AGP would screw with
stuff.

Old May 8th 04, 04:48 AM
Augustus

Bull****....impossible to get 19,000+ with an 8500 no matter what the CPU.

Old May 8th 04, 11:35 AM
Scumball

"Augustus" wrote in message

"Scumball" wrote in message
I run my mobile Barton 2400 / 2 x 256Mb PC3700 dual channel at 246fsb

for
XP3960+
level performance, and it's considerably faster in all real and

synthetic
benchmarks. Gets just under 19000 in 3DMark 2001 with my Radeon 8500

128Mb
(at stock).
So, yeah, it's worth it.

Bull****....impossible to get 19,000+ with an 8500 no matter what the CPU.

Pardon, me - the 8500's my old card, I meant my 9800 Pro 128.

Old May 8th 04, 05:33 PM
HippyPaul

"R Thompson" wrote in message

"Hippy Paul" wrote in message

"R Thompson" wrote in message

"sam unwise" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ah right - the joys of dual boot...

There is a way to change the multiplier for boards that do not support it -
called the pin-mod - it is not as hard as it may seem. - and is easily
reversible compared to modifying the bridges on a cpu

I have used the 5 wire method and am now using the two wire 5-3 method on my
KT333 (the single wire does not work on it).

Check out Michael Brown's site at http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdmults/ for
info
on the two wire mods

or http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html for the 5 wire pin mod.

15K rpm SCSI-disk Ronny Mandal General 26 December 8th 04 08:04 PM
Intel, AMD... Mirko General 11 November 22nd 04 07:17 AM
64 benches Ed Light AMD x86-64 Processors 2 April 4th 04 08:16 PM
2D performance ATI compared to Matrox Jo Vermeulen General 17 January 14th 04 07:25 PM
Real World Performance - 512MB vs. 1GB System Memory. . Wayne Youngman Overclocking AMD Processors 29 September 12th 03 11:36 AM