AIW connection type quality question

Old June 26th 05, 12:05 AM
likeit

Default AIW connection type quality question

I guess I can connect my Direct TV signal from the box to
either the S-Video port or the Composite ports on the dangle
cable that came with my AIW 8500DV card. But which
connection should yield better video quality?

Old June 26th 05, 04:15 PM
J. Clarke

likeit wrote:

I guess I can connect my Direct TV signal from the box to
either the S-Video port or the Composite ports on the dangle
cable that came with my AIW 8500DV card. But which
connection should yield better video quality?

S-video. But a suitably modified DirecTivo will give you better quality
than either.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old June 26th 05, 04:34 PM
Paul Murphy

"T Shadow" wrote in message
.. .
"likeit" wrote in message
I guess I can connect my Direct TV signal from the box to
either the S-Video port or the Composite ports on the dangle
cable that came with my AIW 8500DV card. But which
connection should yield better video quality?

S-Video

Which is also the most likely to be problematic (I've never been able to get
anything other than a black and white picture with S-Video and my 3 AIWs -
including an 8500DV). Composite on the other hand, displays fine and allows
full functionality of my VCR menu which doesn't show when using an S-Video
input to the cards.

likeit would be best to try S-Video first but have composite as a back up
plan if (when?) problems arise.

Paul

Old June 26th 05, 05:35 PM
J. Clarke

Paul Murphy wrote:

"T Shadow" wrote in message
.. .
"likeit" wrote in message
I guess I can connect my Direct TV signal from the box to
either the S-Video port or the Composite ports on the dangle
cable that came with my AIW 8500DV card. But which
connection should yield better video quality?

S-Video

Which is also the most likely to be problematic (I've never been able to
get anything other than a black and white picture with S-Video and my 3
AIWs - including an 8500DV). Composite on the other hand, displays fine
and allows full functionality of my VCR menu which doesn't show when using
an S-Video input to the cards.

likeit would be best to try S-Video first but have composite as a back up
plan if (when?) problems arise.

I've never had any trouble with S-video from any board that has an S-video
output.

Paul

Old June 26th 05, 10:35 PM
T Shadow

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Paul Murphy wrote:

"T Shadow" wrote in message
.. .
"likeit" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't had a problem with S-Video on either of my AIWs either. He did ask
about video quality didn't he? I would try to get S-Video working first.
YMMV

Old June 26th 05, 10:47 PM
likeit

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:35:10 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Paul Murphy wrote:

"T Shadow" wrote in message
.. .
"likeit" wrote in message
I guess I can connect my Direct TV signal from the box to
either the S-Video port or the Composite ports on the dangle
cable that came with my AIW 8500DV card. But which
connection should yield better video quality?

S-Video

Which is also the most likely to be problematic (I've never been able to
get anything other than a black and white picture with S-Video and my 3
AIWs - including an 8500DV). Composite on the other hand, displays fine
and allows full functionality of my VCR menu which doesn't show when using
an S-Video input to the cards.

likeit would be best to try S-Video first but have composite as a back up
plan if (when?) problems arise.

I've never had any trouble with S-video from any board that has an S-video
output.

Paul

How long the S-Video cable can be? My PC is about 20 feet
away from the Direct TV box.
Old June 27th 05, 01:31 AM
J. Clarke

likeit wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:35:10 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Paul Murphy wrote:

"T Shadow" wrote in message
.. .
"likeit" wrote in message
[...]

There's a discussion of this at http://www.cinematography.net/Pages
DW/MaximumCableLength.htm. 20 feet should not be a problem. I get 24 out
of cheap Rat Shack cables with no artifacts that I can see.