New Window 7 build

Old November 23rd 09, 06:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fishface[_2_]

Default New Window 7 build

Paul wrote:

SuperPI 23.375 sec, 1 million digits, Core2 2.6GHz (native, in WinXP)

SuperPI 24.986 sec, 1 million digits, same processor (WinXP running VPC2007, Win2K guest OS)

My virtual results show hardly any slowdown at all.

Ok, got it. I was running SuperPi Mod from my E: drive, and according to the
comment field of the drive in XP's My Computer window, it was described
as "Disk from Remote Desktop Connection." I copied the program to the
XP desktop and the time was 14.501 seconds. What a difference! On Win7-64,
it took 14.461-- not much of a slowdown at all. I'm not sure what exactly
this Remote Desktop connection was slowing it down so much. I'd have
thought the tiny program would just load into memory and run at full speed.
Old November 23rd 09, 07:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Fishface wrote:
Paul wrote:

SuperPI 23.375 sec, 1 million digits, Core2 2.6GHz (native, in WinXP)

SuperPI 24.986 sec, 1 million digits, same processor (WinXP running
VPC2007, Win2K guest OS)

My virtual results show hardly any slowdown at all.

Ok, got it. I was running SuperPi Mod from my E: drive, and according
to the
comment field of the drive in XP's My Computer window, it was described
as "Disk from Remote Desktop Connection." I copied the program to the
XP desktop and the time was 14.501 seconds. What a difference! On
Win7-64,
it took 14.461-- not much of a slowdown at all. I'm not sure what exactly
this Remote Desktop connection was slowing it down so much. I'd have
thought the tiny program would just load into memory and run at full speed.

I just read about that today. I have no idea why Remote Desktop
is associated with the WinXP mode on Windows 7. Whatever it is
for, it sounds like a dumb idea. Maybe it was treating that drive as
a "network share" and any I/O to the disk was going through
the network stack ?

Paul
Old November 24th 09, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tim Mastrogiacomo

On Nov 21, 5:52*pm, Ron wrote:
For the first time in quite a while, I'm assembling a primary desktop
strictly to run Win 7 Ultimate (32-bit). I acquired the OS when I was a
Technet subscriber and hadn't worked with 64-bit systems much, so 32-bit
was my first choice. After reflection, I may eventually go the 64-bit
Win 7 Professional route, but that's not on the plate yet.

As it sits, I have the following major components:

Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P mobo (Intel P45 chip)
Powercolor AX 3650 1GBD2-V2 Radeon HD 3650 1GB video card.
Antec Sonata 2 case

Sometime in the next few days, I'm getting these components:

Intel Core2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale CPU
WD Caviar WD1001FALS 1TB Sata drive
4Gb (2x2GB) G.Skill PC2 8500 sticks

Here's my thought: Instead the Core Duo E8500, would it make sense to
get the E8400 Quad core on the possibility of switching over to 64-bit
Professional. I guess what I'm really asking is a) is it possible to run
64-bit Win 7 on the Core Duo without a serious performance hit? From the
other direction, will the Quad core run efficiently with 32-bit
Ultimate? This is going to be what i call a "6-year" machine. No
significant upgrades, other than more memory with a 64-bit CPU, until
it's time to build another primary. (I already have machines dedicated
to audio, graphic, photo workflow, etc.)

Any thoughts? All input appreciated as to the new build.

I expect that you will be able to run Windows 7 64-bit with the Core2
Duo just fine. I have used less powerful dual-core AMD processors with
this OS and haven't had any problems. Going 64-bit will give you a bit
more use out of your 4 GB of RAM and will allow you to add more RAM
later on.

Tim Mastrogiacomo
Old November 24th 09, 04:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ron[_6_]

Tim Mastrogiacomo wrote:
On Nov 21, 5:52 pm, Ron wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for the generous feedback. I'm looking forward to this
one. I decided to pick up another cooler to use instead of the stock
Intel, mostly to have on hand in case I want to.

With kind regards,
Ron
Old December 6th 09, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
anamigan

My experience with Win7 64bit has been trouble free.

I automatically install Revo-uninstaller at the top of the food chain.
Then Comodo for my firewall.
Spybot, CCleaner and Defraggler follow. Then it's time for my first
system image.

The machine I ended up with was the result of two quadcore boxes, one
running XP by flinging it
around and the other Ubuntu 64bit.

I decided "more window" was what I wanted instead of "more windows". I
concentrated all resources
into the newer higher capacity case and motherboard. I sold the other
box minus RAM and HD to
purchase a second matching LCD 21.5" (1920x1080).

Now I run a quad (Q6600), 8G (4x2), 9400GT (1G DDR2) with Win7 64bit.
This is a consumer level
workstation knockoff. As such it only cost $800ish to build, the GFX
card was $69 on sale. I don't penny
count as I usually just go in to my preferred store after compiling my
list from what's in stock and as long
as the price/spec is close to what I've decided on I'll go with anything
they recommend as they
see hundreds of buys a week and are hardware enthusiasts themselves.

I've also read several of Paul's thoughtful and informative replies to
this group and can only
heap praise on his continued participation.

Old December 7th 09, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ron[_6_]

anamigan wrote:
[...]

I wound up adding a second hard drive and an after market CPU cooler to
use instead of the stock fan. All told, the cost ran to just under $1000
with careful shopping. Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit has run without a
serious hitch so far. Still on the learning curve, but enjoying it.

You're right, Paul is a remarkable individual with considerable
knowledge and a propensity for sharing.

-best
Ron Moore