Modem Problems with Presario 4504

Old September 29th 03, 08:34 AM
Mike Calkins

I wonder too, but there is not enough specific information provided to tell.

Mike

"HH" wrote in message
news
Mike, Something is amiss. The PCI slot is a standard Combo slot. The
preinstalled modem is an ISA modem. I wonder if he's trying to put a PCI
modem there?
HH

"Mike Calkins" wrote in message
. ..
Bill,

When all else fails.... Remove the modem bracket and let the board

'float'
in the slot. Don't jar the machine, and pray it'll work .....

Mike

"Bill W" wrote in message
Thanks for the information. My daughter's computer is running with

Windows
98. I had an extra modem lying around and tried installing it. To my
frustration, I found that the the modem card was offset differently on

the
backet and would sit in the PCI slot. But I will give the other

suggestions
a try and hope for the best before my daughter leaves for school this
evening.

Thanks,
Bill
"HH" wrote in message
What Operating System is installed? Tte 4504 came with a 33.6

Winmodem.
You
might be better off pulling it and installing a $10 Intel V90 modem.

I've
bought 4 of them from www.axiontech.com and they work great and come

with
driver CD.
HH

"Bill W" wrote in message
news My daughter was given a Compaq Presario 4504 for school. She

could
not
get
on the internet with AOL. In troubleshooting the problem, I found

that
no
modem was listed in device manager. An internal modem card is
installed.
When I go to install the modem and choose the Compaq, I am faced

with
choosing from a list of Compaq modems. Which Compaq modem should

be
chosing from the list presented and am I correct in assuming it

will
use
COM
1 port. I have spent the better part of this evening searching

the
Compaq
site for documentation on the Presario 4504 to no avail. I would
greatly
appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Regards,
Bill

Old September 29th 03, 02:18 PM
DEJ57

I would love to be able to install any one of the 4 56K modems I have
that I know work in other machines. The 4706 machine I have been
trying to fix for a friends high school kid does not detect the modems
I have tried. Not even the original 33.6 that was working before I
switched it out to upgrade to a 56K. Can't figure it out. I don't have
any of the original software, but I don't see why I need it.

I think that over my limited efforts with PCs that half my time has been spent
fighting with modems and getting them correctly installed. Particularly early
PCs, 486 and earlier Pentiums, with WIN95. Often modems I was trying to use
were not recognized by WIN95's Plug and Pray. Sometimes a particular path can
get them recognized--there are at least three ways a modem might be added in
WIN95. Some I never did get to work. Some modems require the drivers to be
loaded and reboot before the modem is installed and an attempt to recognized.
The Compaq 33.6 was located in a "feature" slot, and the modem was likely not
to work in any other slot or PC, and no other modem was likely to work in the
feature slot. Any added modem would need to fit into one of the other
appropriate slots, what, two ISA and one PCI?........
Old September 29th 03, 02:25 PM
DEJ57

Not even the original 33.6 that was working before I
switched it out to upgrade to a 56K. Can't figure it out. I don't have
any of the original software, but I don't see why I need it

The modem has to have the Compaq software available in a download. It was a
voice/fax/data modem designed to work with special Compaq phone and fax
software. Some other vendors phone/voice software would not work with the
Compaq 33.6 (SuperVoice for one). Compatibility was not at the top of the list
with reference to this modem and software.....

Dale
Old September 29th 03, 11:21 PM
the yeti

2 things.

1) if you already have an AOL account, you can call and complain about
not being able to connect and threaten to cancel the service. AOL
will send you a free external hardware modem.

2) if your daughter is going away to school, she probally has LAN
acces if she is living on Campus. To heck with a modem
Old September 30th 03, 05:14 AM
Bill W

Thanks for all your help. I am red faced and embarrassed. The modem was
sitting in an ISA slot. When I opened the computer up, I saw four slots,
three and one. Having worked on more recent computers, I made the
assumption that the three of one kind of slot were all PCI and the other
none was an ISA. How wrong was I. Reading your posts and checking other
literature, sure enought, Compaq had put three ISA slots in the 4504
computer and only one PCI slot. Newer cards are PCI. However, I went into
device manager and uninsalled the modem. There was a NIC card in the PCI
slot, since I was using a modem for the internet, I removed the NIC card and
installed the modem card I had lying around. I updated the Bios, but the
modem driver update would not install. This seemed right, in that I had
removed the Compaq modem and replaced it with a 56.6K V92 modem with current
drivers installed. When I went to installed the modem, I found that it was
on COM2. I would have thought it would have been installed on COM1.
Irregardless, I was now able to access the internet vial the modem.
I am not sure whether it was the BIOS update or the new modem card that did
the trick, but I surely appreciate all the help and information provided.

Regards,
Bill

"Bill W" wrote in message
news
My daughter was given a Compaq Presario 4504 for school. She could not

get
on the internet with AOL. In troubleshooting the problem, I found that no
modem was listed in device manager. An internal modem card is installed.
When I go to install the modem and choose the Compaq, I am faced with
choosing from a list of Compaq modems. Which Compaq modem should I be

Old September 30th 03, 06:12 AM
HH

The Compaq ISA modem only has Win 95 drivers, IF you could find a
QuickRestore CD to do a full restore.(Mike Calkins may still have one.
Compaq doesn't). The other alternative would be your PCI modem in the combo
PCI/ISA slot and an ISA NIC in the ISA slot. www.mwave.com has a Netgear
for $25.
HH

Old October 1st 03, 05:42 AM
HH

Nope. The QuikSpecs for the 4504 show a 33.6 modem standard, upgradeable to
56K These required a daughterboard that plugged into the modem to make them
a 56K modem.
HH

"DEJ57" wrote in message
Tte 4504 came with a 33.6 Winmodem.

Are you sure? Driver and SP pages seemed to indicate it came with a
56K--Compaq doesn't offer a 33.6 driver in the list for that model...4500
series is not on the list that the 33.6 driver is for...

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_det...&Os=0&Software
Ver=12710

Dale

Presario 4706 - can't get the modem to work DEJ57 Compaq Computers 0 September 17th 03 12:55 PM
problems with presario 1925 laptop Perry Noid Compaq Computers 1 September 6th 03 07:42 PM
presario 1925 drive problems? someone else Compaq Computers 0 September 1st 03 02:45 AM
fax/adsl modem 123xxxxx General 41 August 3rd 03 09:37 AM
compaq presario x4000nx modem disconnect after inactivity? HH Compaq Computers 3 August 1st 03 04:45 AM