Mail sent at each startup and constant disk access?

Old June 8th 04, 07:18 PM
Dennis Kessler

"HH" wrote:
Only one way to know for sure. Remove the card. That was going to be the
next possibility I raised - network accessing the drive. If it's just
querrying the hardware, it's probably doing no harm.
HH

I'll live with the disk access for a while, rather than remove the card
for now.

-DK

"Dennis Kessler" wrote
"HH" wrote:
Every 4 seconds?? Hmmm. Might try this:
1. Hit start, Run and type "msconfig" (without quotes) and hit OK.
2.Select the Startup tab.
3. Uncheck everything except Explorer and Systray.
Exit msconfig and reboot.
See if the LED still flickers. If not, go back to msconfig and
recheck the boxes, one at a time, rebooting after each. This will
tell you what is querrying the HD.
HH

I've done that.

BTW: I did put a D-Link wirless PCI card in the machine. I wonder if
that's causing the disk access. I don't really see how to turned it off,
without completely removing either the hardware or the drivers.

I don't see the router's access point statistics change relative to the
sick access, so it's probably not the wireless card.

-Dennis

"Dennis Kessler" wrote
"HH" wrote:
With AIN active, the HD LED will flicker about once per second.
HH

It's not that. I did disable it.

The flicker is about every 4 seconds.

-DK

"Dennis Kessler" wrote
"HH" wrote:
Right click on any CD-ROM drives in Device Manager and select
Properties, then the Advanced tab.
HH

Oh!

BTW: the mail stoppped. Not sure which change did that. Now
just to run down the disk access. I'll try the CD tab, but I
doubt that that's accounting for the excessive dick access.

Thanks.
-DK

"Dennis Kessler" wrote
"HH" wrote:
If so, disabling Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager
should fix it. HH

I don't see "Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager" in
the device manager in the pc that I am sitting next to (not
the one with the problem). Is it on every Windows 98
machine?

-Dennis

"doS"
wrote
The disk activity may be your cd roms ...Windows
checks the cdrom status regularly...

"Dennis Kessler"
wrote
How can I stop the mail and constant hard drive
activity?

Everytime the Presario 5170, running Windows 98
is booted up, the computer tries to send an
email. I can see this activity on my router's log
file. No mail programs are running. Nothing is
queued to be sent.

This began yesterday, (I think, after fiddling
with the internet keyboard buttons). Prior to
yesterday, I had the startup configuration in
msconfig, set to not load the Compaq startup
software that controls the keyboard buttons.

Also, I see the hard drive light showing regular
activity every several seconds, no matter how
long the computer is idle.

The disk activity is not the fast find program. I
have that set to stop.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture
Old June 13th 04, 10:57 AM
Dennis Kessler

OK, found the answer to the hard drive access.

I finally did all the work. I removed the wireless PCI card,
disconnected the Zip, and the CD. It turned out to be the CD drive. It
was a combination of the "Auto Insert Notification", and the 'In CD'
startup program. (You had it right).

I did check the AIN in the past, and unchecking it did not stop the
access at the time. (It is possible that I did not restart the machine
after unchecking the AIM, the first try).

BTW: now the drive light flickers about every second.

Is there a way to have AIM checked and not have the constant hard drive
access? I don't the the constant access on my laptop.

-DK

"HH" wrote:

If so, disabling Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager
should fix it. HH

I don't see "Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager" in
the device manager in the pc that I am sitting next to (not
the one with the problem). Is it on every Windows 98
machine?

-Dennis

"doS"
wrote in

Old June 13th 04, 11:51 AM
HH

Not to my knowledge. On those units where AIN causes the drive querry, as
long as it's enabled, the light will flicker about once per second. It does
no harm, but I know it can be aggravating. Occasionally it can interfere
with scandisk and defrag, causing these utilities to restart again and
again. In that case, disabling it is required, and, yes, you must reboot
after disabling and again after re-enabling.

Old June 13th 04, 06:48 PM
Dennis Kessler

OK then.

Thanks for hanging in with all the replies.

-DK