single loud BEEP

Old June 11th 05, 07:20 AM
Pete

Default single loud BEEP

At first I thought it was time to change the batteries in the fire alarm.
But the single loud BEEP came from my computer. What does this mean? The
computer seems to work very well otherwise. My OS is XP.
-Pete

Old June 11th 05, 07:34 AM
Carl

that sounds like a normal bios POST reporting all in order. Power On Self
Test

Old June 11th 05, 07:39 AM
Pete

"Carl" wrote in message
that sounds like a normal bios POST reporting all in order. Power On Self
Test

This beep happens while I'm working. It is not during power up.
-Pete

Old June 11th 05, 01:35 PM
Christo

"Pete" wrote in message
m...

"Carl" wrote in message
that sounds like a normal bios POST reporting all in order. Power On Self
Test

This beep happens while I'm working. It is not during power up.
-Pete

open the case and unplug the sound cable from the motherboard header. if you
want ti to stop, any post beeps wont be heard so any error beeps wont, you
could always plug it back in if problems arise.

HTH

Christo

Old June 11th 05, 04:42 PM
Noozer

"Pete" wrote in message
m...
At first I thought it was time to change the batteries in the fire alarm.
But the single loud BEEP came from my computer. What does this mean? The
computer seems to work very well otherwise. My OS is XP.

Fan warning - I've seen buzzers that beep when a fan has stopped working.

Heat warning - BIOS may be warning you that CPU temp is getting too high

Old June 11th 05, 05:51 PM
Vanguard

"Pete" wrote in message
m...
At first I thought it was time to change the batteries in the fire
alarm.
But the single loud BEEP came from my computer. What does this mean?
The
computer seems to work very well otherwise. My OS is XP.

From the internal speaker or the external speakers? If from the
internal speaker, it couldn't be as shattering loud as you claim. If
from the external speakers connected to a sound card or onboard audio,
you have some event that is assigned a sound file or some program
playing that sound. Have you played each of the sounds assigned to
events in the Sound applet in Control Panel to see if one of them
matches the noise you hear? Have you used msconfig.exe to disable all
startup programs, rebooted, and then checked if maybe it was some
program you had running that made the noise?

Old June 13th 05, 12:24 AM
badgolferman

Pete, 6/11/2005, 2:20:37 AM, wrote:

At first I thought it was time to change the batteries in the fire
alarm. But the single loud BEEP came from my computer. What does
this mean? The computer seems to work very well otherwise. My OS is
XP. -Pete

You may have a keyboard button stuck or a program beeping to tell you
something has just occurred.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Old June 13th 05, 06:07 PM
Pete

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Pete, 6/11/2005, 2:20:37 AM, wrote:

At first I thought it was time to change the batteries in the fire
alarm. But the single loud BEEP came from my computer. What does
this mean? The computer seems to work very well otherwise. My OS is
XP. -Pete

You may have a keyboard button stuck or a program beeping to tell you
something has just occurred.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
I took the advice and disconnected the speakers. Still had the beep!
Then my wife told me we have a SECOND smoke detector hidden under a shelf I
built. The batteries were low, and so it beeped. Problem identified and
solved.
I just get nervous when something seems wrong with my computer.
-Pete

Old June 13th 05, 09:12 PM
old jon

. ..

Pete, 6/11/2005, 2:20:37 AM, wrote:

At first I thought it was time to change the batteries in the fire
alarm. But the single loud BEEP came from my computer. What does
this mean? The computer seems to work very well otherwise. My OS is
XP. -Pete

You may have a keyboard button stuck or a program beeping to tell you
something has just occurred.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
I took the advice and disconnected the speakers. Still had the beep!
Then my wife told me we have a SECOND smoke detector hidden under a shelf
built. The batteries were low, and so it beeped. Problem identified and
solved.
I just get nervous when something seems wrong with my computer.
-Pete

My fireman friend says fire alarms should be fitted to the ceiling. Unless
of course you are thinking of having a fire under a shelf. g % )