Why does my Epson CX5200 need colour ink cartridges to print in black ONLY!?

Old February 6th 05, 10:24 PM
OM

Default Why does my Epson CX5200 need colour ink cartridges to print in black ONLY!?

I have an Epson CX5200.
Can someone tell me why it needs colour ink cartridges to print in
black ONLY!?

Say for example I run out of one of the colour inks.
I can maybe somehow understand why I shouldn't be allowed to print in
colour.

BUT... the damn thing just won't let me print!
Even in JUST black!!
WHY??

Can anyone explain this?
Does this happen with other printers as well?

Thanks.

OM

Old February 6th 05, 10:36 PM
Harvey

"OM" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an Epson CX5200.
Can someone tell me why it needs colour ink cartridges to print in
black ONLY!?

Say for example I run out of one of the colour inks.
I can maybe somehow understand why I shouldn't be allowed to print in
colour.

BUT... the damn thing just won't let me print!
Even in JUST black!!
WHY??

Can anyone explain this?
Does this happen with other printers as well?

Thanks.

OM

It happens with most printers. The basic reason is to stop the ink that's
left in the colour heads drying out and blocking the heads. Exactly why this
should also affect printers that use separate ink carts/heads for black and
colour only the manufacturers know.. and as we all know - they know best

Old February 11th 05, 04:52 AM
OM

and there was me thinking that is was a cynicla ploy by epson to make
yet more money from consumers. : )

but seriously... i think if they put their thinking caps on... i'm sure
they can figure out a way round the problem??
and i say 'problem' - i'm still a bit cynical and think they just
invented the problem in the first place by designing the printers in
such a way as to cause the damn problem!