cant print black when colour run out epson stylus 950

Old January 8th 04, 02:14 PM
Adam Davies

Default cant print black when colour run out epson stylus 950

This maybe a dumb question but here goes.
I have a epson stylus 950 and if I run out of one of the colours the
printer refuses to print until the cartridge has been replaced, I can't
even print out in black (normal or economy), is there anyway of
overriding this as I sometimes forget to buy in spare cartridges and
have to wait 24 hours before my supplier can deliver.

ta
Old January 8th 04, 02:54 PM
Gary Tait

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:14:58 GMT, Adam Davies
wrote:

This maybe a dumb question but here goes.
I have a epson stylus 950 and if I run out of one of the colours the
printer refuses to print until the cartridge has been replaced, I can't
even print out in black (normal or economy), is there anyway of
overriding this as I sometimes forget to buy in spare cartridges and
have to wait 24 hours before my supplier can deliver.

ta

No. That feature is there to prevent the nozzles from burning out with
lack of ink.
Old January 9th 04, 06:32 AM
Old Nick

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:54:38 -0500, Gary Tait
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

You can choose to "print using black ink only". This would surely
prevent nozzle burnout. But it does NOT allow you to print without
full colour cartridges.

There are programmes that allow you to fool the printer into thinking
it's full. They are used for refilling carts that won't allow it.

I have a programme called "ssc service utility" (sscserv.exe), which
will do this for a lot of printers. I am not advocating its use, as I
have no idea of the consequences for your printer, but it will
possibly do the job.

wrote:

This maybe a dumb question but here goes.
I have a epson stylus 950 and if I run out of one of the colours the
printer refuses to print until the cartridge has been replaced, I can't
even print out in black (normal or economy), is there anyway of
overriding this as I sometimes forget to buy in spare cartridges and
have to wait 24 hours before my supplier can deliver.

ta

************************************************** ** sorry

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was
causing it all.
But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan,
really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?
Old January 9th 04, 01:45 PM
Epona

wrote:

This maybe a dumb question but here goes.
I have a epson stylus 950 and if I run out of one of the colours the
printer refuses to print until the cartridge has been replaced, I
can't even print out in black (normal or economy), is there anyway
of overriding this as I sometimes forget to buy in spare cartridges
and have to wait 24 hours before my supplier can deliver.

ta

************************************************** ** sorry

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was
causing it all.
But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan,
really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Now you know why Single Ink Technology was invented! If one of the colours
runs out on a SIT printer (like most of the new(er) Canons) you can still
print in black. Another good reason for buying a SIT printer.

Old January 9th 04, 03:50 PM
Mark Herring

wrote:

This maybe a dumb question but here goes.
I have a epson stylus 950 and if I run out of one of the colours the
printer refuses to print until the cartridge has been replaced, I
can't even print out in black (normal or economy), is there anyway
of overriding this as I sometimes forget to buy in spare cartridges
and have to wait 24 hours before my supplier can deliver.

ta

************************************************** ** sorry

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was
causing it all.
But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan,
really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Now you know why Single Ink Technology was invented! If one of the colours
runs out on a SIT printer (like most of the new(er) Canons) you can still
print in black. Another good reason for buying a SIT printer.

1. They all tend to run out at once

2. Do you really save money with SIT?

3. If you watn to save money, go to refilling or continuous feed

Just buy another cart and keep the printer---or give it to a friend.

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Old January 9th 04, 05:21 PM
Zermut

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 07:50:42 -0800, Mark Herring
picked a plump bugger and in sanskrit smeared
the following cryptic message:

wrote:

Just buy another cart and keep the printer---or give it to a friend.

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Are you the same guy who wrote QMail for PCBoard a long time ago?

Zermut
Old January 9th 04, 08:47 PM
Gary Tait

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 14:32:15 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:54:38 -0500, Gary Tait
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

You can choose to "print using black ink only". This would surely
prevent nozzle burnout. But it does NOT allow you to print without
full colour cartridges.

Wouldn't prevent the printer from "cleaning" the color nozzles, which
being dry, would burn them out.

There are programmes that allow you to fool the printer into thinking
it's full. They are used for refilling carts that won't allow it.

Same as above.

I have a programme called "ssc service utility" (sscserv.exe), which
will do this for a lot of printers. I am not advocating its use, as I
have no idea of the consequences for your printer, but it will
possibly do the job.

If you want to risk burning out the head.

Old January 10th 04, 01:11 AM
Mark Herring

fOn Fri, 09 Jan 2004 17:58:18 GMT, Larry Lynch
wrote:

In article ,
says...
1. They all tend to run out at once

2. Do you really save money with SIT?

3. If you watn to save money, go to refilling or continuous feed

Just buy another cart and keep the printer---or give it to a friend.

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Most of the Canon printers I use seem to use twice as
much of the LIGHT cyan, and LIGHT Magenta, and yellow as
they do the other colors. So I only need to replace the
empty ones.. It saves some money.

This is also true of my Epson printers,, but when only
one color runs out on the Epson I gotta stop printing
and replace ALL the colors with the T008 T007 carts. It
wastes ink (if you dont re-set and re-fill)

Interesting--Both my Epsons seem to run down about the same in all
colors---probably has to do with the variety of subject matter being
printed.
**************************

Old January 10th 04, 01:11 AM
Mark Herring

wrote:

Just buy another cart and keep the printer---or give it to a friend.

Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Are you the same guy who wrote QMail for PCBoard a long time ago?

Zermut

No