Ominous Ticking from Monitor

Old January 29th 10, 03:37 AM posted to comp.hardware
I.C. Koets[_2_]

Default Ominous Ticking from Monitor

My monitor (a DEC 21" CRT, older than dirt) has started to give sharp,
static-discharge type audible ticks, which are accompanied by short
distortions of picture and dimming. The picture distortion lasts for a
refresh cycle, the dimming can take a few cycles to disappear.

When I power off the screen, I hear a number of these ticks happening,
one after the other, tapering off.

Where do I begin to look for a solution? Google has not been much help.

Thanks!
Old February 7th 10, 03:00 AM posted to comp.hardware
Smith Comma John

Could be a number of issues. From leaking capacitors to a genuine short
somewhere in the chassis releasing bits of electricity. The only way to know
for sure is to have it open and plugged in which I don't suggest to anyone
without a basic electrical understanding.

In other words it's time to lay this CRT to rest and invest in a cheap LCD.
Not the ultimate in performance but a true upgrade for now. And you can even
pick up a cheap one from a local store nowadays for 100 bux.

`Mr. Smith

Old September 19th 10, 11:38 AM
Scorpion king Scorpion king is offline
Junior Member

i m using lcd and its doing great...

i love it..

Ominous Ticking from Monitor I.C. Koets[_2_] General 27 February 6th 10 06:32 PM
Ticking and Powering Off I.C. Koets General 2 September 3rd 07 07:14 PM
ticking tagan Turtle Overclocking 0 January 1st 05 01:09 PM
Monitor Ticking/Beeping David Compaq Computers 4 April 21st 04 03:43 PM
ticking... - General 1 September 8th 03 07:01 PM