RaidTec FlexArray RAID configuration

Old September 24th 09, 12:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Fred Bloggs

Default RaidTec FlexArray RAID configuration

In article , Marco De Vitis
writes

Actually, I visually checked all fans and they all work. Maybe this is a
false alarm, or maybe a fan is really slower than normal, but anyway
this is not a problem for heat: 4 disk bays are empty, and the unit is
in a very cold (and noisy) server room. This same error might have been
already there for months without anyone ever noticing.

Well, that's fine. If you can ignore the alarm and are sure the array
is cool enough, then don't worry about it.

The sound I described above when the unit locks, instead, is different:
it's an intermittent "beep - beep... beep - beep... beep - beep...", and
it CANNOT be silenced from the LCD panel menu.

Without hearing it myself, I'd guess at a dead drive (this sort of noise
coming from a drive is it losing its servo and trying to reacquire it.
what you're hearing is the head skipping over the platter surface at
high speed.)

Be warned if all the drives are the same make and model and were fitted
at the same time, the others may not be far behind.

Use the mark 1 earhole to locate the dying drive and replace it.

--
Fred Bloggs
Old September 24th 09, 12:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Fred Bloggs

In article , Marco De Vitis
writes
Il 23-09-2009 11:55, Fred Bloggs ha scritto:

RAIDman lets you setup new arrays, view array status, and diagnose and
recover failed arrays.

Are you *really* sure that RAIDman can do this?

Yes. Like I said, we actually have one of those arrays and I am the one
responsible for installing and maintaining it. You may have to put
RAIDman into configuration or maintenance mode; I can't remember. if
you don't do that, it'll only allow you to view the config and not
change it.

The manual doesn't tell anything about it, it only talks about the same
simple operations which can also be done using the LCD display.

you've got the wrong manual then.

Or you can use the serial port on the back of the array and talk to it
via minicom on Linux or Hyperterminal on Windows.

Again, are you sure RAID management operations can be done this way?

Absolutely 100% certain. Why don't you try it for yourself?

--
Fred Bloggs
Old September 24th 09, 09:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Marco De Vitis

Il 24-09-2009 13:30, Fred Bloggs ha scritto:

In article , Marco De Vitis
writes
The manual doesn't tell anything about it, it only talks about the same
simple operations which can also be done using the LCD display.

you've got the wrong manual then.

It's the only one I could find on the web... this one:
http://snipr.com/s3ok1 [ftp_veracomp_pl]

Again, are you sure RAID management operations can be done this way?

Absolutely 100% certain. Why don't you try it for yourself?

I'll do it now that I have your confirmations, thanks .
I'm not lazy, it's just that arranging for this test in this particular
case requires some time (for reasons I'll not detail here) and I'm
currently on a very tight schedule for other jobs.

--
Ciao,
Marco.
Old September 24th 09, 09:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Marco De Vitis

Il 24-09-2009 13:28, Fred Bloggs ha scritto:

Without hearing it myself, I'd guess at a dead drive (this sort of noise
coming from a drive is it losing its servo and trying to reacquire it.
what you're hearing is the head skipping over the platter surface at
high speed.)

Uhm... seems strange to me, it really sounded like an electronically
generated sound... but who knows.

--
Ciao,
Marco.