Yet Another - Canon Ink Question

Old January 7th 05, 03:15 AM
BobS

Default Yet Another - Canon Ink Question

Been following some of the interesting comments in recent threads about
Canon inks and after reading all that, I have a couple of questions:

I recently purchased the Canon i9900 printer along with a full set of spare
cartridges. At approximately $12 (USD) per cartridge this is not totally
outrages compared to some other prices I've seen but if I can lower my costs
on large prints and still maintain quality and longevity, I'm all for it.

Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
good reputation?

I can find about a zillion suppliers for ink cartridges doing a search but I
certainly would like to hear from those that sell their prints and use 3rd
party supplies. From one of the reviews I read, Amazon inks was high
quality but not as good as the OEM. Comparison for Epson printer and inks.

So for those that have equipped their printers with the larger external
cartridges and paid the price of admission - who's ink do you use? Any
comments pro or con are welcomed.

Thank you,

Bob S.

Old January 7th 05, 04:12 AM
Bill Crocker

Occasionally, CompUSA has a 25% off sale, on computer accessories. These
ink cartridges fall under that category. Their regular price is $11.99, so
when the sale is on, they're only $8.99/ea. Usually, they offer one penny
shipping, via FedEx Economy, so it's a great deal! These are fresh, Canon
brand cartridge too! One catch though...when I did this, the discount only
applied to two items, so I entered four separate orders, it worked!

Bill Crocker

.. .

Old January 7th 05, 05:19 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

BobS wrote:
[...]

We've run numerous compatible cartridges through our i9100. The best I
have found is from a seller on ebay. Their cartridges have allot more
ink than most and they're about $2 each. Here's a link to their Canon
compatible cartridges: http://tinyurl.com/4x6ep

Old January 7th 05, 02:53 PM
Crhoff

If you refill, I have been using ink from www.alotofthings.com and have had
great results. It's Formulab imk

.. .

Old January 7th 05, 03:23 PM
BobS

Bill,

After doing some searching and being a member of Sam's Club, I found that
they offer the cartridges on-line only for $9.33 each (regular price) and
that includes the PM and PC colors. Downside is that it's ~$7 for shipping
for 8 cart plus good ole tax and at the end of the day- it still comes to
$11.11 per cart. - a small savings. So whether I catch a sale or purchase
from Sam's, the cost will be about the same it appears.

In reality not all colors are used equally and I found a chart on the Canon
site I believe that shows how many average prints you get per color
cartridge. The PM was the lowest at 282 as I recall with the rest hovering
from 300 to 500 prints. Their estimates are pretty well what I'm
experiencing.

So while the above costs are not show-stoppers, I'm not against lowering
costs either and using bulk ink if I can find it.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Bob S.

"Bill Crocker" wrote in message
Occasionally, CompUSA has a 25% off sale, on computer accessories. These
ink cartridges fall under that category. Their regular price is $11.99,

so
when the sale is on, they're only $8.99/ea. Usually, they offer one penny
shipping, via FedEx Economy, so it's a great deal! These are fresh, Canon
brand cartridge too! One catch though...when I did this, the discount

only
applied to two items, so I entered four separate orders, it worked!

Bill Crocker

.. .

Old January 7th 05, 04:38 PM
Don Elie

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:15:22 GMT, "BobS" wrote
in part:

Anyone out there using the Canon i9900 or similar printer that uses the
BCI-6 cartridges, find a source of quality ink supplies that has a known
good reputation?

My printer is a Canon i960 which uses the same ink as your i9900, that
is, BCI-6x or BCI-6xx.

If you check out www.inkproducts.com you'll find lots of goodies in
addition to excellent ink. They are my supplier of choice. YMMV

Hint: save your Canon empties /and/ their nozzle caps.

Regards,
Don
Old January 7th 05, 05:41 PM
Anoni Moose

BobS wrote:
Bill,

After doing some searching and being a member of Sam's Club, I found

that
they offer the cartridges on-line only for $9.33 each (regular price)

and
that includes the PM and PC colors. Downside is that it's ~$7 for

shipping
for 8 cart plus good ole tax and at the end of the day- it still

comes to
$11.11 per cart. - a small savings. So whether I catch a sale or

purchase
from Sam's, the cost will be about the same it appears.

http://www.canogacamera.com sells them for a hair less (no membership
needed) and their postage is very reasonable. They've also good prices
on Canon paper. I speak only as a customer (I'm a thousand miles north
of them).

We use cheap ($3) klone inks in our inexpensive Canon
copier/fax/scanner/printer (used primarily by my wife)
device (F50) where we don't use it for photographs that we really care
about. But for our spendier i9900, which we use for our photo
printing,
we use Canon ink and papers. At very least the ICC profiles will be
correct and print lifetimes somewhat more predictable. :-)

Mike

Old January 7th 05, 07:22 PM
BobS

Anoni,

Thanks for the link and it appears to be about the best price I've seen for
Canon ink and paper.

Thanks for your time,

Bob S.

"Anoni Moose" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 7th 05, 08:10 PM
BobS

Crhoff,

I looked at their site and if they run their business like they do their
site - I'll stay away. Broken links, still showing that they're not open
until 26 Dec (click on support link to get to main page). Plus, I'm a bit
leery about any vendor that states their ink matches or exceeds an OEM's
then does not offer any proof of that other than stating "our testing
proves"...

Not saying that these inks are not any good and they certainly have the cost
advantage but I was looking for some proof on their advertising claims and
can't find it. Other articles I've read only indicate a "few" ink suppliers
that offer good quality inks that are certainly useable but any testing done
often shows that they are short-lived (i.e. Wilhelm Labs).

The message I'm getting is that OEM inks are really the best for their
particular printers. You can get lesser cost supplies that may look good
initially but will eventually fade or otherwise deteriorate in some manner.
And that may be okay if I was only interested in making snapshot prints that
won't be hung on a wall or displayed. Not that any of my work is worth
hanging on a wall in anyone else's home but I can force them on family and
relatives......so I don't want them having any excuses like - "It started
fading, so we took it down"......;-)

Looking at the sites and following the various links, reading comments from
others and doing some research has been a good education.

Thanks for your input,

Bob S.

Old January 7th 05, 08:31 PM
BobS

Follow-up. I sent them an email indicating some broken links and actually
got a response back....

..........email from Alotofthings.com..............

There are actually a lot of broken links on the site.
We are currently not supporting the site directly as we are working on a new
shop cart.
The shop cart is independent of the site so all references to commerce will
be removed once the new cart is completed.

Rhonda Flores
TrueColor Imaging
Alotofthings.com
A Paradise Multimedia Company

.. .

"Crhoff" wrote in message
If you refill, I have been using ink from www.alotofthings.com and have

had
great results. It's Formulab imk

Canon cartridge question John B Printers 3 January 24th 05 05:25 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it! GP Printers 10 December 28th 04 01:42 PM
Canon i560 Question Zo Printers 0 December 6th 03 06:22 PM
Canon i950 vs i850 question camry Printers 2 July 2nd 03 06:35 PM