What is fasted CPU upgrade for "Performance 500" tower?

Old January 23rd 04, 07:23 AM
Proxy

Default What is fasted CPU upgrade for "Performance 500" tower?

I'm upgrading a Gateway "Performance 500" tower machine...

the system is marked: "TBR3 500 PIII"

I've expanded ram to 384mb and now want to replace the cpu.

What would be the best CPU choices?

Is there going to be a problem between the new cpu/heatsink and this plastic
cooling cowling that reaches from the powersupply?

I plan on putting XP on the machine.

- thanks for any experience you can share.

Old January 23rd 04, 11:24 AM
Edward J. Neth

The 1.4 GHz PowerLeap PL-iP3/t is the best buy.

www.powerleap.com

Native CPU upgrade: before 11/99: 600 MHz PIII, 512 cache, slot-1
After 11/99: 1 GHz PIII, 256K cache, Slot1, 100 MHz bus only.

Old January 24th 04, 02:50 PM
Patrick E. King

"Proxy" wrote in message
I'm upgrading a Gateway "Performance 500" tower machine...

the system is marked: "TBR3 500 PIII"

I've expanded ram to 384mb and now want to replace the cpu.

What would be the best CPU choices?

Is there going to be a problem between the new cpu/heatsink and this

plastic
cooling cowling that reaches from the powersupply?

I plan on putting XP on the machine.

- thanks for any experience you can share.

I have successfully fitted the Powerleap 1.4Ghz Tualatin Celeron and a total
of 640 MB of RAM to a similar machine and it runs XP Home just fine.
-Patrick-

Old January 28th 04, 03:46 AM
Proxy

Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, It looks like the Power Leap website says I will need a
URM (Universal Retention Mechanism)
because I have an SEPP retention
mechanism on the motherboard.

Old January 28th 04, 07:15 PM
Patrick E. King

"Proxy" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, It looks like the Power Leap website says I will need a
URM (Universal Retention Mechanism)
because I have an SEPP retention
mechanism on the motherboard.

That's correct. I also had to replace the retention mechanism..... got it
free from a computer store nearby.
Patrick.

Old February 11th 04, 12:55 PM
Jim Wise

First, I apologize for dragging up an old thread, but I'm also
considering a CPU upgrade in my performance 500. I've maxed out the RAM
to 384Mb and I went to the Powerleap sight and was impressed with how
cheap the PL-iP3/t Celeron is. I also notice that there is a 1.1 GHz
pentium III for $100 more. Is there that big a difference in the
performance of the pentium over the celeron?

I'm also considering dumping the IBM 20Gb hard drive that came with the
system and replacing it but can't make up my mind between the Seagate
120Gig baracuda or the 120Gig Western Digital. This may be decided with
a coin toss.

Any opinions or lessons from prior experience are appreciated.

Undecididly,

Jim W.

Old February 11th 04, 09:48 PM
Ben Myers

The difference in performance between the P3 and Celeron is not worth $100. The
1.1GHz P3 runs with a clock speed of 133MHz. Your system's bus clock speed is
100MHz. Even if the PowerLeap hardware handles the difference in clock speed,
the system is still constrained by the 100MHz bus. For my money, save your
money and go with the 1.4GHz Celeron with its 100MHz bus. You'll get a lot of
bang for the buck... Ben Myers

Old February 11th 04, 10:08 PM
Jim Wise

Thank you Ben.

That's the way I was leaning but the wife says she'd rather have the
pentium over the
Celeron. Your advice is based on years or experience and I believe
it'll help me convince
her to let us save $100 and go with the celeron.

Regards,

Jim W.
ps the coin toss came up "heads" for the seagate. They have some neat
disk utilities
on thier sight also.

Old February 11th 04, 11:02 PM
sohn

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:

The 1.4 GHz PowerLeap PL-iP3/t is the best buy.

www.powerleap.com

snip

I am very pleased with my PowerLeap upgrade. It is worth every penny of the
$149.99 I paid for it.
Ron

Old February 12th 04, 02:31 AM
Ben Myers

It's easiest to think of "Pentium" and "Celeron" as Intel's extremely successful
effort at product branding. Pentium is the high-priced premium Porsche.
Celeron is the original VW beetle. Just like the old Porsche and the old VW
beetle, which shared the same engine mounting, both Pentium and Celeron have the
same mountings (for a given generation of chip), and internal core. An old
friend of mine once mounted a Porsche engine in his VW beetle, and flummoxed the
cops who couldn't believe their radar which tracked him at 125mph.

So what are the differences?

Slot 1 Celeron was limited to 66MHz bus and 128K cache. Early Celerons which
were the only true dogs of the bunch had zero K cache. Slot 1 Pentium II ran at
66 or 100MHz bus speed, has either 256K or 512K cache.

Socket 370 Celeron runs at either 66 or 100MHz bus speed with 128K cache.
Socket 370 Pentium III runs at 100 or 133MHz bus speed with 256K or 512K cache.

Socket 478 Celeron runs at 400MHz FSB so far with 128K cache, if I have my
numbers right. Socket 478 Pentium 4 runs at 400, 533 or 800MHz FSB with 256K or
512K cache, so far. Or is there a 1MB cache on some Pentium 4 CPUs.

In all slot/socket cases above, the fastest Pentium is faster than the fastest
Celeron.

Then there is the Xeon brand, a whole 'nother smoke... Ben Myers