Happy 2400 buyer

Old April 1st 04, 05:10 AM
S.Lewis

Default Happy 2400 buyer

"Jim Kent" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:41:13 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

You know, why buy a 4600 if you
can get a 2400 to do about the same thing for $200 less?

Well, that's why they craftily kept the AGP port offa the 2400

motherboard.

Perhaps, but the Intel built-in video is going to be adequate for a
lot of users, so it might not be as successful a strategy as
complicating the addition of more storage.

Yeah, but that won't get the buyer dual-channel DDR.

Stew

Old April 1st 04, 06:48 AM
john

"Jim Kent" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:26:27 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

the order gets
canceled after three weeks of being 'in production', then they gladly
re-enter it for me. is that what you have experienced? part number

0t962.

Yup. Annoying, ain't it?

Sounds like that is the plan.

I'm starting to think this is deliberate, to discourage smartass end
users from upgrading 2400s in an "unapproved" (and anti-competitive to
the more expensive Dimensions) way. You know, why buy a 4600 if you
can get a 2400 to do about the same thing for $200 less?

At least they don't force you to buy a "kit" like they do with the missing
floppy brackets. Maybe they could add the "Hard Drive Bracket" option to
the system config screen? What are they getting for these brackets anyways?

Old April 1st 04, 01:33 PM
BRT

I have a 2400 here in England, but when I tried to order a bracket for a
second hard drive I was told that it was not an option. Are you now saying
that Dell market these as an add-on!

--
Barry Turner

"Jim Kent" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:37:49 -0500, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

Fully loaded, with added memory for $400?

How can you beat it.

Heh heh heh... I love those little 2400s. There's a lot of bang for
the buck there, -especially- when you and twenty of your best friends
and clients got in on the $200 2400 with free shipping and free CD
burner last November.

Equipped with enough memory, that PC is entirely adequate for the vast
majority of users. Only gamers, graphic designers, and other
compute/graphics-intensive users would find it inadequate. Plus, it's
small, quiet, and consumes practically no power.

Now... If they'd only deliver that box of extra drive brackets I
ordered...

Old April 1st 04, 02:30 PM
news.verizon.net

we are saying that they used to sell them in the usa but now sit on the
orders and then cancel them... at least for the last few months. have been
told by some reps that they are no longer available, no substitute part
number, but then others say they are in stock and take the order. very
strange.

Old April 1st 04, 03:11 PM
Christopher Muto

nothing was changed. the offer was clearly stated. you were unable to
understand it. here is what it said...

With ANY DimensionTM desktop! Expires 03/31/04 11 p.m. CT.

Right now, receive a FREE hard drive upgrade1 when you purchase ANY DellTM
Dimension desktop! Increase system storage and get more room for the
important files and applications you need to help boost office productivity!

1 Offer valid on first bay only. The Dimension 2400, 4600, 4600C and 8300
hard drive upgrade is from 40GB 7200 RPM to 80GB 7200 RPM; the Dimension XPS
from 80GB 7200RPM to 120GB 7200 RPM.

FREE Upgrade to 80GB 7200 RPM Hard drive
Dimension 2400, 4600, 4600C, 8300 desktops

FREE Upgrade to 120GB 7200 RPM Hard drive
Dimension XPS desktops

Expires 03/31/04.

"yzeew" wrote in message
it should properly say "Pay $10 to upgrade from our crappy slow 40GB drive
to a faster 40GB drive, and we'll toss in an extra 40GB of disk space" and
not "free upgrade". there are two actions required and one of them costs
$10.

the offer as stated is misleading which is probably why they changed it.
they were probably getting tons of calls asking why they were getting
charged $10 for a "free upgrade".

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
why is it so difficult for you to grasp that the promotion is for a free
upgrade from a 40gb/7200 rpm drive to a 80gb/7200rpm drive? even you

seem
to acknowledge that you had previously been able to configure the system
with a 40gb/5400rpm but today in most online configuration tools that

option
has been removed. yesterday or today if you had selected the

40gb/7200rpm
drive as the base then the free upgrade to the 80gb/7200rpm is $0 more.
yesterday or today, if you have selected the 80gb/7200rpm drive as the

base
then the free upgrade to the 80gb/7200rpm is -$30.

i think that your problem is that you are stuck on the word 'free' when

you
should try to read what it says and expand your narrow view to what it
actually says: "free upgrade"

but you just seem hell bent on saying that dell and everyone else is

wrong
and seem believe that if you repeat a lie enough it can produce a truth.

now go ahead and have the last word, we both know you can't resist

making
another reply.

"weeeezy" wrote in message
you're friggin' nuts. the point is the "free" upgrade isn't "free" if

it
costs somebody $10! don't use the word "free" if there is a charge.

it
is
pure deception. you're just too dense to get it and too stupid to

admit
dell was decieving people or had screwed up the web site.

The web site has now been corrected and the 5200rpm drive isn't even

listed
any more in the 4600 configuration options on the sb side. the $10

charge
is gone as well. both you and dell were wrong. at least dell fixed

it.
you just keep spewing your verbal diareha because you obviously know
everything. keep yabbering and prove yourself an even bigger fool.

FREE UPGRADE! 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive Special Offer

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
as posted to your thread about the free hard disk upgrade that you

now
belive has now been corrected 'corrected'...

you are delusional.

exactly the same as before... the concept that escapes you is that

the
$
amount associated with selecting any item is relative to the

currently
selected item. if you select a larger drive then the free upgrade

becomes
negative number. if you select a drive below what qualifies for the

free
drive you see a positive number. if you select the drive that the

free
upgrade is based on you see zero.

the configuration you were looking at was configured with a basic
40gb/5400rpm 'value' drive. you had an option to upgrade that

choice
40gb/7200rpm drive for $10 more. and also you had an option to get

free
upgrade from the 40gb/7200 drive to an 80gb/7200rpm drive. if you
selected
the 40gb/7200rpm as the base drive then the free upgrade would

indeed
say
add $0.

your failure to grasp this after two days of looking at it and not

reading
the simple detail of the promotion is evidence about the same

defective
thinking that goes into your political views.

"weeezy" wrote in message
so it is ok for dell to charge $10 for a "free" item? now that is
defective
thinking. but of course neither you nor dell is capable of error.
interestingly dell has corrected their mistake. i doubt your man

enough
do the same.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com
wrote in message ...

"HH" coughed up the following:
I agree with Thomas. The OP listed the specific tasks he

bought
the
PC
for
and noted it was perfect for those tasks.
HH

(sorry for prior post----ctrl-M problem )

Yeah, I'm not sure what weezy is so angry about. Is he always

like
that?

the names changes, but the flawed logic is consistent. his/her

absurd
rant
about the free hard disk promotion is a clear example about

reaching
conclusions before bothering to collect or understand the facts

(and
lets
everyone understand the defective thinking that goes behind

his/her
political views).

Old April 1st 04, 04:46 PM
john

Have you tried ordering the bracket along with a disk drive? Wonder if that
is the missing link?

Old April 1st 04, 08:25 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

At this point I'd just say "give up" for now: Duct tape the drive someplace
on the inside of the chassis so that air will travel on both sides of it.
If you can't find a good spot, then place something between the HD and the
chassis and then duct tape the lot.

Close up the system case, forget you did that, and get on with your life

john coughed up the following:

Old April 1st 04, 08:27 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Didn't Abbot and Costello do this routine once?

Christopher Muto coughed up the following:

"weeeezy" wrote in message
[...]

then the free upgrade becomes a negative number. if you select a
drive below what qualifies for the free drive you see a positive
number. if you select the drive that the free upgrade is based
on you see zero.

the configuration you were looking at was configured with a basic
40gb/5400rpm 'value' drive. you had an option to upgrade that

choice
40gb/7200rpm drive for $10 more. and also you had an option to
get a free upgrade from the 40gb/7200 drive to an 80gb/7200rpm

"weeezy" wrote in message
so it is ok for dell to charge $10 for a "free" item? now that
is defective thinking. but of course neither you nor dell is
capable of error. interestingly dell has corrected their
mistake. i doubt your man enough to do the same.

Old April 1st 04, 08:40 PM
Christopher Muto

yes, and it wasn't funny when they did it either, but raymond babbitt ("rain
man") enjoyed it.

Old April 1st 04, 09:35 PM
john

You mean like the guy in the Dell commercial duct taping everything
together? Without Dell supplying the brackets I guess they leave little
choice than to watch their commercial and pick up a few installation tips!
;-)