PSU Fans

Old February 11th 04, 03:34 PM
*Vanguard*

"Muttly" said in :
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll be pointing it downwards.
*Vanguard* as I said, both "both fans are internal to the psu".
Cheers.

I figured you were talking about a 2-fan PSU. See my reply to Hank in this
thread.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old February 11th 04, 04:04 PM
Hank

The thing that made me question you drug habits is that after the OP clearly
states that both fans are internal to the PSU you came up with this
gibberish.

From your description, is the bottom fan (which should be blowing
upward and into the power supply) actually on the *outside* of the
power supply? It is likely the power supply's case consume the
standard volume as spec'ed for an ATX power supply. That means the
bottom fan being on the outside of the power supply is extending
beyond the volume set aside for the power supply and intruding into
the volume that would be assume usable by the motherboard and any
components sitting atop it.

Hank

Old February 11th 04, 10:41 PM
Jay Cousins

"Muttly" wrote in message ...
Hey all.
My PSU (I can't remember the make or model, but its 550w) has 2 fans. 1
points of the case, the other is inside the case pointing either up or down,
both fans are internal to the psu. My questions is which way should I have
the inside fan pointing? If it points up its got bout 4cm clearence between
it and the top of the case. If it points down its right over my cpu. For
better cooling which way do you think it should be pointing? If theres a
site or something that will give a good reason as to which way, a link would
be great. Better yet if someone has experience as to which way is best
that'd be great 2.
Thanks.
Martin.

The fan should be pointing down. If you look closely on the back of
the tower, you will see that it has to go that way or the screw holes
won't match up correctly

Old February 13th 04, 03:03 PM
*Vanguard*

"Hank" said in .com:
The thing that made me question you drug habits is that after the OP
clearly states that both fans are internal to the PSU you came up
with this gibberish.

From your description, is the bottom fan (which should be blowing
upward and into the power supply) actually on the *outside* of the
power supply? It is likely the power supply's case consume the
standard volume as spec'ed for an ATX power supply. That means the
bottom fan being on the outside of the power supply is extending
beyond the volume set aside for the power supply and intruding into
the volume that would be assume usable by the motherboard and any
components sitting atop it.

Hank

Hey, some of us get interrupted while we are working even if it is at home.
I forgot or missed that he said the fans were *internal* and remembered only
that he mentioned one fan was mounted on the bottom of the PSU. I thought
it strange and had never seen a fan on the bottom that was outside the case
but figured maybe the OP was installing the fan themself. You see some very
strange stuff when folks do case mods.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old February 13th 04, 03:47 PM
kony

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:03:07 -0600, "*Vanguard*"
wrote:

Hey, some of us get interrupted while we are working even if it is at home.
I forgot or missed that he said the fans were *internal* and remembered only
that he mentioned one fan was mounted on the bottom of the PSU. I thought
it strange and had never seen a fan on the bottom that was outside the case
but figured maybe the OP was installing the fan themself. You see some very
strange stuff when folks do case mods.

OEMs do sometimes put the fan outside the casing, but otherwise at most
it's the outer fan grill that extends beyond the plane of the case, as an
attempt to make 'em as compatible as possible.
Old February 13th 04, 11:42 PM
~misfit~

wrote:

Hey, some of us get interrupted while we are working even if it is
at home. I forgot or missed that he said the fans were *internal*
and remembered only that he mentioned one fan was mounted on the
bottom of the PSU. I thought it strange and had never seen a fan on
the bottom that was outside the case but figured maybe the OP was
installing the fan themself. You see some very strange stuff when
folks do case mods.

OEMs do sometimes put the fan outside the casing, but otherwise at
most it's the outer fan grill that extends beyond the plane of the
case, as an attempt to make 'em as compatible as possible.

I can confirm that. I had a PSU with the fan and a finger-guard mounted on
the outside of the PSU, blowing in. I don't have it anymore so can't tell
you what brand it was. I remember I had probelms fitting it into a different
case.
--
~misfit~