Norton Ghost - Clone Won't Work

Old October 15th 04, 06:50 PM
jimbo

Peter wrote:
In article ,
says...

jimbo wrote:

I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
"master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo

Thanks for the replies. Here is some clarification. Yes, I had Win98 on
the master HD. WinXP was on the slave HD. The reason is that I had a
Win98 system and then decided to try WinXP. Dual boot seemed a
conservative way to try XP without one big leap.

So do you get the dual boot menu when the computer first starts with the
new drive D attached?

Anyway, my WinXP drive is getting full and I wanted to replace it with a
new, larger drive. And I didn't want to lose data or have to reinstall
everything. So, I thought I could clone a new slave HD from the existing
WinXP HD, swap it for the old, small WinXP HD and be in business. No
such luck. The drive letter issue may be the problem.

Is there a way to accomplish wat I want?

Not sure why it shouldn't have worked, unless the cloning didn't work
correctly. All files from D should be getting accessed as usual when
you boot to D.

Before you decided to copy to your new D drive what did you use to
partition and format it, and make it 'active'?

Thanks for the replies. Here is the latest. Somehow in all of the HD
swaping, cloning, etc. the "C" master drive became un-bootable.
Horrors! Now nothing worked! Anyway, after much hair pulling, use of
Partition Magic, etc. I now have the system back as it was before all
of this started.

Physical drive 1, master, "C", Win98. Physical drive 2, slave, "D",
WinXP. Dual boot works as before. There is not enough space on "C" for
an image of "D" and 33 GB is just too much to put on CD/DVD.

So, how should I proceed on my quest to replace the "D" drive with
new, larger drive without the need to re-install all of the applications?

Thanks, jimbo
Old October 15th 04, 07:21 PM
jimbo

Art wrote:

Jimbo:
From your description, it would seem that you correctly performed the
cloning operation. I take it you rec'd no error msgs. from Ghost during or
immediately following the cloning of your drive. And if I recall correctly,
you previously stated that after replacing the old drive with the
newly-cloned one, you were able to access that drive after booting up with
your C: drive (the Win98 OS) with both drives connected. And from what you
determined after perusing the data on your newly-cloned D: drive (the XP
OS), it seemed to you that the contents on the old drive had been
successfully cloned to the new one. Do I have this right so far?

Actually, my first attempt was with an external USB enclosure in which I
had installed the new hard drive. My second attempt was with swaping of
cables, etc. in the main computer case.

1. Did you try to repeat the cloning operation just on the off-chance that
the first clone did not "take"?

I am in the process of making an image of "D" now. It is being saved to
a file on the new hard drive which is installed in a USB external
enclosure. My first attempt was to clone "D" to the new hard drive which
was installed in the same USB external enclosure.

2. When you boot, do you get the multi-boot menu so that you can choose
which of the two operating systems to boot to?

Yes, the boot menu would come up and if I selected Win98, it would boot
OK, but if I selected WinXP, it would give the blue screen with some
message that went by too fast to read. I did use the option to not
reboot on error and read the screen. I don't remember the details now.

3. Assuming you do, you mention that you get the BSOD with an error message
when you attempt to boot into your XP OS. What is the specific error
message?

4. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini file that resides in the C:\
directory?

I can't get to the boot.ini file at the moment. But it was just a
vanilla dual boot .ini file.

Art

Thanks again for the reply. I will post again when I finish this
current attempt.

jimbo
Old October 15th 04, 08:21 PM
jimbo

S.B. wrote:

Try leaving C on IDE1 and putting D on IDE 2 as master. Disconnect all
your ATAPI devices. If this arrangement boots correctly to '98 and XP,
connect the new drive to IDE2 as slave and clone D to it. Disconnect the
old drive and set up everything as you had it before.

I don't understand. If I read correctly, I leave "C" as is at the end of
the ribbon cable, and change the jumper on "D" to be master, but leave
it on the middle cable connector. If that works, put the new drive on
the middle ribbon cable connector? But that is where "D" is, no?

I must be missing something?

jimbo
Old October 15th 04, 10:54 PM
jimbo

jimbo wrote:
Art wrote:

Jimbo:
From your description, it would seem that you correctly performed the
[...]

Still no go. I cloned again using the external USB2.0 case with the
new drive mounted. No error messages from Ghost, but when I try to
boot to WinXP using the newly cloned drive, it gives a message saying
the drive needs to be checked and it goes through three chkdsk checks,
all of which pass, then it reboots and the same thing happens again.

And when I boot from the WinXP CD, it asks which Windows to use and
has "D:\" as the only option. "Repair" takes me to the "D:\" prompt
which doesn't provide much. "Install" doesn't give a repair option,
only a new installation and if I start that option, it gives a warning
message about another OS being there and that it is a bad idea to
install two OSs on the same partition.

It appears that Ghost is not performing a proper clone.

Here is the boot.ini file from "C" root.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP" /fastdetect
C:\="Windows 98"

And the attempt to use the second IDE as described in another post,
fails to boot.

jimbo
Old October 15th 04, 10:56 PM
jimbo

S.B. wrote:

jimbo wrote:

S.B. wrote:

Try leaving C on IDE1 and putting D on IDE 2 as master. Disconnect all
your ATAPI devices. If this arrangement boots correctly to '98 and XP,
connect the new drive to IDE2 as slave and clone D to it. Disconnect the
old drive and set up everything as you had it before.

I don't understand. If I read correctly, I leave "C" as is at the end of
the ribbon cable, and change the jumper on "D" to be master, but leave
it on the middle cable connector. If that works, put the new drive on
the middle ribbon cable connector? But that is where "D" is, no?

I must be missing something?

You have two (or more) IDE connectors on your motherboard.
1. Disconnect everything from those connectors.
2. Connect C as master to the end of a cable and plug it into IDE 1.
3. Jumper D as master and your new drive as slave.
4. Connect D to the end of a second cable, the new drive to its middle
connector, and plug it into IDE 2.
5. Clone D to the new drive.
6. Remove D and set everything as you had it before.

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Wouldn't boot. Doesn't find the master on IDE 1. But it does find both
drives on IDE 2 but neither will boot, so no way to clone or even get
to an OS.

jimbo
Old October 15th 04, 11:48 PM
Ed Coolidge

jimbo wrote:
[...]

So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to suspect
that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or the BIOS has the disk
configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but does Ghost have an option to
verify the contents of the cloned drive? If it does I would use it to see if it
checks out. If you have Partition Magic, you can use it to check the new drive.
It should be able to detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.
Old October 16th 04, 12:14 AM
jimbo

Ed Coolidge wrote:
jimbo wrote:

[...]

Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems.
But interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic,
it reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works
perfectly with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device
Manager as working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP
installation, etc, etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks
there is something wrong with it and does not even show any partitions
on it.

Suggestions?

jimbo
Old October 16th 04, 04:10 AM
Bob Davis

"David Maynard" wrote in message

I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning
a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and
connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master"
the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies
and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo

Hmm. I can't be sure because I can't see your registry but I suspect it's
because of how Windows XP serializes the drives and the new drive isn't
what it thinks should be the system drive (actually, it isn't 'anything'
when it first boots because it hasn't been identified and serialized yet,
but it may be by now, to whatever XP thought it should be).

I've cloned many a drive with Ghost and haven't run across this
problem--using IDE, SATA, and Firewire--as XP should pick it up readily,
even though the drive letter may be different. This can be easily changed.

On a single drive system it would normally figure out that the 'new' drive
is the 'new' C (if one removes the old one completely, else the OLD one
remains C and the new one gets a new letter, which causes all sorts of
problems) but with an existing drive as your boot drive I'm not sure how
it's resolving the new drive's letter, and that's what I suspect is going
wrong. Somehow it's getting confused as to which should be the 'C' drive
and which is the 'D' (or whatever).

I've restored C: (boot) drives on numerous occasions and have never had a
problem booting from the newly created drive.

Old October 16th 04, 04:59 AM
David Maynard

Bob Davis wrote:

[...]

Pick up what?

This can be easily changed.

Changing it doesn't fix anything.

I don't think you're talking about the same situation. I'm talking about
both drives having the installation on them, the new cloned one and the old
one still intact, and both operating.

It'll boot from the new drive but it'll end up still using the old one as
the sysroot drive because it's still C, regardless of having been 'moved'
to the IDE slave, and everything in windows tells it to use C.

On a single drive system it would normally figure out that the 'new' drive
is the 'new' C (if one removes the old one completely, else the OLD one
remains C and the new one gets a new letter, which causes all sorts of
problems) but with an existing drive as your boot drive I'm not sure how
it's resolving the new drive's letter, and that's what I suspect is going
wrong. Somehow it's getting confused as to which should be the 'C' drive
and which is the 'D' (or whatever).

I've restored C: (boot) drives on numerous occasions and have never had a
problem booting from the newly created drive.

I've restored many a drive too, with no problems.

Old October 16th 04, 06:34 AM
John Johnson

I did the same thing successfully about 6 months ago, Did it again 2
months ago and had the same problem you had. Have no idea what I did
differently.

I posted to this group and someone suggested it might be a Volume
label problem but you said you cloned to a new drive which shouldn't
have had that problem.

I had planned on trying again but I will wait to see if someone comes
up with a solution