A7N8X-E Deluxe 3000 NOT 1800 problems

Old September 6th 04, 06:30 AM
Wes Stebbins

Default A7N8X-E Deluxe 3000 NOT 1800 problems

I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe board with a AMD 3000+ (OPN: AXDA3000DKV4E) CPU.
Everyting was purchased from NewEgg. Whenever I go into the BIOS (Phoenix -
Award BIOS v 6.00PG) and set the CPU External Freq. to 200Mhz (choices 100,
133, 166 and 200), Clock ratio to 10.5, Nominal Voltage to 1.65V, etc. (and
yes - the CPU_FSB is set to pins 1 and 2 for the default 400/333/266 MHz),
the computer starts to boot - displays what is does indeed have, namely
Athlon 3000+, etc., but then "hangs."

If I then reboot and try to go back into the BIOS, it starts to allow me to
enter values, then it also "freezes up" in the BIOS. So, I end up having to
turn things off, unplug the power cord, take out the battery, switch the
Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC1) jumper to pins 2-3 (to clear), wait for the
recommended (in the user manual anyway) 10 seconds, then switch the jumpers
back to pins 1-2 (default), put the battery back in, plug in the power cord
and reboot into BIOS (DEL key of course), then reset things, esp. the CPU
External Freq. from 200MHz to 166MHz, then save changes and exit the BIOS.
Then the thing boots up fine, but not at it's spec (i.e., the 3000+, or
2100MHz Operating Freq.) , but at a lower, 1533MHz freq/, aqnd it displays
as an Athlon 1800+ while posting.

What am I missing?

Also, in Device manager (I have Windows XP Home edition), there is the
infamous yellow-question-mark next to "Ethernet Controller." No matter what
I try to do, with all of the drivers on the supplied motherboard disk for
the A7N8X-E Deluxe, etc., it can never find/install the driver(s) it needs
for this particular device. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks.

Old September 6th 04, 08:03 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 00:30:53 -0500, Wes Stebbins wrote:

I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe board with a AMD 3000+ (OPN: AXDA3000DKV4E) CPU.
Everyting was purchased from NewEgg. Whenever I go into the BIOS (Phoenix -
Award BIOS v 6.00PG) and set the CPU External Freq. to 200Mhz (choices 100,
133, 166 and 200), Clock ratio to 10.5, Nominal Voltage to 1.65V, etc. (and
yes - the CPU_FSB is set to pins 1 and 2 for the default 400/333/266 MHz),
the computer starts to boot - displays what is does indeed have, namely
Athlon 3000+, etc., but then "hangs."

What am I missing?

Maybe ram that's fast enough, power, PCI lock? When you raise the FSB to
200, you're more than likely raising the ram bus too unless you change
settings there. Also if you have your ram CL set low, then leave it there
and raise the bus speed, well, I think you get the picture.

Old September 6th 04, 08:13 AM
Almeyda

umm the etherent controller should be the exrta gigabit controller, which
does not install with nforce drivers, its a Marvell Yukon Gigabit ethernet
controller....get the drivers from the ASUS web or let windows update do it,
im pretty sure it has the latest driver for it.