Faulty fans: dust or bearings?

Old October 11th 03, 10:51 AM
S.Boardman

Default Faulty fans: dust or bearings?

I have a MSI KT Ultra motherboard (VIA KT333 chipset) and an Athlon XP 2100.

Normally this pc is running SETI 24/7. However, recently, on the occasional
reboots, the alarm sounds because one or both of the fans are either not
going round, or too slowly. Sometimes the CPU fan just takes a while to get
to full speed (~5000rpm). Sometimes the fan on the chipset goes round
jerkily, before finally getting up to speed.
I've noticed that occasionally in Windows the CPU fan has dropped to
~2000rpm. If I then put my finger on the fan to stop it, just a quick tap,
it will often fix itself and go back to ~5000rpm.

Given that both fans seem to be affected, and it is quite dusty, should a
good blast of air (when I manage to find somewhere to buy it) fix it? Or is
it the fan bearings? Or something else?

Thanks for your advice.
--
Susan

Old October 11th 03, 11:17 AM
Alien Zord

Dust in bearings = worn bearings. A bit of molly (molybdenum disulphate or
MS) or lithium grease will make them last another 3 months or so but they
will have to be replaced eventually. I've managed to find industrial grade
fans (not cheap) for replacement purposes and they've been great, not one
failure yet.

Old October 11th 03, 12:53 PM
Lane Lewis

Replace the fans with panaflows their quieter and should last about 10
years, most fans that come with computers should be thrown in the trash
because their so cheaply built.

http://www.casecooler.com/vanstealquie.html

Lane

Old October 11th 03, 10:11 PM
S.Boardman

"Lane Lewis" wrote in message
om...
Replace the fans with panaflows their quieter and should last about 10
years, most fans that come with computers should be thrown in the trash
because their so cheaply built.

http://www.casecooler.com/vanstealquie.html

Lane

OK. Is it possible to replace the chipset fan? Or do I have to replace the
whole motherboard?
--
Susan

Old October 11th 03, 11:11 PM
Lane Lewis

"S.Boardman" wrote in message

"Lane Lewis" wrote in message
om...
Replace the fans with panaflows their quieter and should last about 10
years, most fans that come with computers should be thrown in the trash
because their so cheaply built.

http://www.casecooler.com/vanstealquie.html

Lane

OK. Is it possible to replace the chipset fan? Or do I have to replace the
whole motherboard?
--
Susan

It can be replaced but panaflow doesn't make one that small, just do the
best you can on that one.

Lane

Old October 12th 03, 02:33 AM
kony

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:11:41 +0100, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

"Lane Lewis" wrote in message
. com...
Replace the fans with panaflows their quieter and should last about 10
years, most fans that come with computers should be thrown in the trash
because their so cheaply built.

http://www.casecooler.com/vanstealquie.html

Lane

OK. Is it possible to replace the chipset fan? Or do I have to replace the
whole motherboard?

KT333 chipsets can run fine with a passive cooler (assuming
typical/adequate chassis airflow).

http://www.svcompucycle.com/zazmnobrhe.html
http://www.svcompucycle.com/zanoco.html

Dave
Old October 12th 03, 06:43 AM
ric

Lane Lewis wrote:

It can be replaced but panaflow doesn't make one that small, just do the
best you can on that one.

They make some pretty small fans.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/..._mini_cool.pdf
Old October 12th 03, 08:34 AM
kony

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:43:21 -0700, ric wrote:

Lane Lewis wrote:

It can be replaced but panaflow doesn't make one that small, just do the
best you can on that one.

They make some pretty small fans.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/..._mini_cool.pdf

Yep, they make fans small enough, but finding them sold in single
units is hard, and even harder with the appropriate plug on the end.
Probably someplace like http://www.digikey.com .. they do have the
following, but it's ball-bearing (which in my mind is actually better)
but are quite steeply priced @ $15 ea, and probably bare wires so
there's still the need for a plug or soldering/crimping/etc, not
something one ought to have to do for a fan already costing $15:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dk...447&Row=345174

The following "might" be a reasonable substitute, but thicker, needing
new screws. This is assuming the original fan is 40mm sq. However,
very few if any decent aftermarket fans are going to have the same
backwards flow and open-frame mounting as the original on the
motherboard.
http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=2549

Dave

Old October 12th 03, 11:14 AM
S.Boardman

Lane Lewis wrote:

[...]

I'm in the UK not the US. I'm also not *that* technical, I'm afraid. I
haven't yet worked out how to get the chipset fan off for cleaning! I'm also
afraid if I try and get the CPU fan off, I'm going to scrape the motherboard
:-(
--
Susan

Old October 12th 03, 11:23 AM
S.Boardman

"kony" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:11:41 +0100, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

"Lane Lewis" wrote in message
. com...
Replace the fans with panaflows their quieter and should last about 10
years, most fans that come with computers should be thrown in the trash
because their so cheaply built.

http://www.casecooler.com/vanstealquie.html

Lane

OK. Is it possible to replace the chipset fan? Or do I have to replace

the
whole motherboard?

KT333 chipsets can run fine with a passive cooler (assuming
typical/adequate chassis airflow).

http://www.svcompucycle.com/zazmnobrhe.html
http://www.svcompucycle.com/zanoco.html

Dave

I run it with the case off. With case on, CPU temp gets to 57 deg, with the
case off it is only 50 deg. It's also pretty noisy. I'm thinking maybe I
should just get another motherboard, new CPU (one with a cooler barton
core). New CPUs don't come with a heatsink and fan, do they? Should I get
one that supports a higher spec CPU? Do I need to get thermal grease or
something as well?
--
Susan (UK)

Fan differences? Tai Tze Hou \(Alvin\) General 29 October 10th 03 06:23 AM
How to get better airflow? Vin General 11 September 14th 03 04:03 AM
Sleeve bearing fans Adrian General 6 August 2nd 03 01:14 AM
fluid bearings HDD mounting... Alceryes General 3 July 10th 03 11:51 PM