Vista Home Premium vs Vista Business

Old September 20th 07, 08:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
n o s p a m p l e a s e

Default Vista Home Premium vs Vista Business

I live in non-English speaking part of Europe and want to buy a Dell
desktop with English OS. What Dell rep tells me is that their machines
being sold in the country is not compatible (something I don't
understand but I have to believe him) with English version of Vista
Home Premium.

He will offer me English version of Vista Business which is superior
to Home Premium (according to him). He further tells me that I can do
every thing with Vista Business that I can do with Home Premium. I am
a home user only.

I have little experience with Vista and would like to know if his
contention is correct.

Old September 20th 07, 12:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gummy Mummy

Here is the product matrix
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

oups.com...

Old September 21st 07, 05:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
n o s p a m p l e a s e

On Sep 20, 3:57 pm, Barry Watzman wrote:
"He further tells me that I can do every thing with Vista Business
that I can do with Home Premium."

That is not true. Home Premium's media features are not present in
Business. There may be other features missing as well.

Business is considered to be a "higher" version of Vista than Home
Premium, but that does not change the fact that many features present in
Home Premium are missing in Business (which, however, also has features
not present in Home Premium).

The only way to get everything is with Ultimate.

Even the Ulimate doesn't come in English here. What he has suggested
that with Ultimate one can download language pack and change over to
English. Is this correct and does this work smoothly?

Upon further investigation, I learnt that they have not got license
from Microsoft to sell home PCs with English version of Vista in this
part of the world. Sounds funny but it is true. That is why they tell
the system is not compatible with English OS.

NSP

Old September 21st 07, 08:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

i don't understand what exactly you are looking to accomplish.
i am not certain about vista, but previous versions of windows could easily
have the language switched through the control panel.
the biggest issue would be that the help files would be in the native
language of the country of origin.
also, applications software like microsoft word would only have a
spellchecker for the language of the country of origin.
but if you have some requirement to have a particular version of vista in
english (uk english or us english, never specified) then i suggest that you
get the least expensive operating system offered in your country (never
specified) and then have someone in the english speaking country of your
choosing purchase and send you both the version of the operating system that
you wish to have and a replacement internal laptop keyboard for the same
language. without the correct keyboard you will find it frustrating to use
another language as the special punctuation symbols and the symbols above
the numbers differ between languages. you will probably also want
application software from the same country or you your spell checker will
not work as you might want.

Old September 21st 07, 08:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

ps. read this
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7512d1033.mspx

Old September 23rd 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
n o s p a m p l e a s e

On Sep 21, 9:43 pm, "Christopher Muto" wrote:
ps. read thishttp://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2bac0e03-c331-48f...

This is not the same as English edition of Vista.

Old September 24th 07, 05:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"n o s p a m p l e a s e" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 21, 9:43 pm, "Christopher Muto" wrote:
ps. read
thishttp://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2bac0e03-c331-48f...

This is not the same as English edition of Vista.

read it again. all of it. and it is polite to say thank you when people
take the time to answer you questions (as incomplete as they are).

Old September 24th 07, 06:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
n o s p a m p l e a s e

On Sep 24, 6:53 am, "Christopher Muto" wrote:
read it again. all of it. and it is polite to say thank you when people
take the time to answer you questions (as incomplete as they are).

I always thought it is implied but I will be more careful in saying
THANX on this board.

Thank you Christopher Muto for your help but it is not the same as
changing OS language. What I have learnt is that only Vista Ultimate
can do it and no other OS in Vista family.

What I have understood is that I will have to buy a new license CD/DVD
for English edition of Vista Home Premium.

I have two OEM CDs - one from Dell for Vista Home Premium that came
with my laptop and the other WinXP Pro SP2 from Compaq that came with
my previous desktop that I destroyed while doing some experiments.

Can I use these CDs/DVDs to install Vista Home Premium English edition
or WinXP Pro SP2 on the new desktop that I am buying from Dell? Both
these CDs say for use on the respective computer e.g. Dell DVD for
Dell computer and Compaq CD for Compaq computer. None of these have a
license key.

In the past I have used Compaq CD to format my desktop several times
but it never asked for a license key. I don't know what it will do if
I use it to format a Dell computer. Your input is requested.

Thanx and regards/NSP

Old September 24th 07, 01:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ogden Johnson III

n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:

I live in non-English speaking part of Europe and want to buy a Dell
desktop with English OS. What Dell rep tells me is that their machines
being sold in the country is not compatible (something I don't
understand but I have to believe him) with English version of Vista
Home Premium.

He will offer me English version of Vista Business which is superior
to Home Premium (according to him). He further tells me that I can do
every thing with Vista Business that I can do with Home Premium. I am
a home user only.

I have little experience with Vista and would like to know if his
contention is correct.

Having followed your saga for 4 days now, I'd like to ask one
question. From your 9/24 post mentioning Compaq, it would appear
that Dells aren't the only computers available in your country.

Unless there is some overriding reason for selecting a Dell over
HP, Gateway, Compaq, or any computer assembler/packager, why not
see if any of the others is offering their computers, with the
features you want, with the English version of VIsta Home Premium
(or, better yet, with an English version of XP Home - I won't be
trading in my XP Pro until it finally dies on me or Bill Gates
sends Darth Vader to rip it out of my computer.]

Then call that Dell Rep back and say "Thanks, but no thanks; I've
gone with Brand X who will give me exactly what I want in the
computer they're trying to sell me."

--
OJ III