Does such a print utility exist?

Old March 15th 05, 03:45 PM
Periproct

Default Does such a print utility exist?

I've been thinking........

I bought a Canon mono laser to overcome cost of constantly replacing ink
cartridges on my Canon inkjet.

Then the idea occured. If there was a utility that would allow me to print
all the black text of a document on the laser and then run the paper through
the inkjet and print only the coloured graphics I could have the best of
both worlds.

I haven't tried but I guess I could go through a document and delete all
graphics for the laser print run and then delete or change text colour to
white for the inkjet run. Could be a bit of a long job with a large doc tho.

Any thoughts on this?

BTW, I don't even have MS Office on the PC because I have an ancient word
processor that does most of what I want. So if MS Word has this facility,
then I apologise for wasting your time.

Regards, Nige

Old March 15th 05, 04:43 PM
Bob Niland

Periproct wrote:

Then the idea occured. If there was a utility that
would allow me to print all the black text of a
document on the laser and then run the paper through the inkjet and
print only the coloured ...

Try it with your existing printer and you'll
discover why "sep printing" isn't done this way.

It is virtually impossible to get even coarsely
acceptable re-alignment of the sheets.

Laser printers often print colors in multiple
passes, but they never lose control of the sheet
registration internally.

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old March 15th 05, 04:44 PM
Periproct

Then the idea occured. If there was a utility that would allow me to
print
all the black text of a document on the laser and then run the paper

through
the inkjet and print only the coloured graphics I could have the best of
both worlds.

You have to print through the inkjet first, otherwise you'll have almighty

jams.
You print the colour graphics with the inkjet, add the black text and

laser
print it.
We do it all the time.

That was quick. Thanks for that. I'll have to have an experiment with Word
or maybe Open Office.

Old March 15th 05, 10:48 PM
PC Medic

"pete" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:45:04 +0000 (UTC), "Periproct"

wrote:

I've been thinking........

I bought a Canon mono laser to overcome cost of constantly replacing ink
cartridges on my Canon inkjet.

Then the idea occured. If there was a utility that would allow me to print
all the black text of a document on the laser and then run the paper
through
the inkjet and print only the coloured graphics I could have the best of
both worlds.

You have to print through the inkjet first, otherwise you'll have almighty
jams.
You print the colour graphics with the inkjet, add the black text and
laser
print it.
We do it all the time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DO NOT DO THIS !!!!

Printing to the Bubble-Jet first and then the laser printer runs the risk of
the ink on the paper damaging the heated drum/fuser of the laser printer.

I have often done as the OP suggests and never had paper jam issues on my
Bubble-Jet. If the heat of the laser printer is causing the paper to curl to
an extent it results in jams, you are using crappy paper to begin with.

Old March 15th 05, 10:51 PM
PC Medic

"Bob Niland" wrote in message
news
Periproct wrote:

Then the idea occured. If there was a utility that
would allow me to print all the black text of a
document on the laser and then run the paper through the inkjet and print
only the coloured ...

Try it with your existing printer and you'll
discover why "sep printing" isn't done this way.

It is virtually impossible to get even coarsely
acceptable re-alignment of the sheets.

Laser printers often print colors in multiple
passes, but they never lose control of the sheet
registration internally.

I believe he is looking to add color images to a b&w text document.
If so I have done this successfully. While not the optimum choice, it worked
in a pinch.
Personally if you need to print these documents on a regular basis, I would
recommend moving to color laser. Less time and hassle and more cost
effective.

Old March 15th 05, 11:15 PM
Hecate

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:43:36 -0600, Bob Niland
wrote:

Periproct wrote:

Then the idea occured. If there was a utility that
would allow me to print all the black text of a
document on the laser and then run the paper through the inkjet and
print only the coloured ...

Try it with your existing printer and you'll
discover why "sep printing" isn't done this way.

It is virtually impossible to get even coarsely
acceptable re-alignment of the sheets.

Laser printers often print colors in multiple
passes, but they never lose control of the sheet
registration internally.

True. But if the OP just means letterheads and that sort of thing, it
really isn't a problem.

--

Hecate - The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old March 16th 05, 12:16 AM
Periproct

wrote:

Periproct wrote:

Then the idea occured. If there was a utility that
would allow me to print all the black text of a
document on the laser and then run the paper through the inkjet and
print only the coloured ...

Try it with your existing printer and you'll
discover why "sep printing" isn't done this way.

It is virtually impossible to get even coarsely
acceptable re-alignment of the sheets.

Laser printers often print colors in multiple
passes, but they never lose control of the sheet
registration internally.

True. But if the OP just means letterheads and that sort of thing, it
really isn't a problem.

Thanks for the feedback.
I was thinking of things like PDF software manuals (I like to have a printed
copy - old fashioned maybe) where there might be coloured screenshots
amongst the text so alignment might not be such a problem.
Having typed that I've just realised I'd need software that could edit PDFs.

Old March 16th 05, 12:37 AM
Bob Niland

Periproct wrote:

I was thinking of things like PDF software manuals
(I like to have a printed copy - old fashioned maybe)
where there might be coloured screenshots
amongst the text so alignment might not be such a problem.

And might be, particularly if the images were CMYK and
not RGB. You might pull seps to separate out the color
and find a lot of black dots left behind in images,
dots that need to be at precise sub-pixel locations
from printer to printer. Not an issue if you just mask
entire images, of course.

My B&W laser & inkjet color don't even align well
enough to permit printing letterheads in color on the IJ
and text content on the laser. Skew, mostly.

Having typed that I've just realised I'd need
software that could edit PDFs.

If the PDF is unsecured (or you have the PWs), Adobe
Illustrator can extract and break pages up into their
components (and preserve the fonts & vectors).

Photoshop can open PDFs as well, but rasterizes the
whole page, and a high-quality rendering of a page
(e.g. 300 dpi or higher) is a largish data object.

I'd buy a duplexing color laser before investing the
effort in this gambit.

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old March 16th 05, 12:48 AM
Periproct

I believe he is looking to add color images to a b&w text document.
If so I have done this successfully. While not the optimum choice, it

worked
in a pinch.
Personally if you need to print these documents on a regular basis, I

would
recommend moving to color laser. Less time and hassle and more cost
effective.

Yet again BT Openworld is 'losing' posts but I found yours elsewhere.

With my Canon S900 it was getting to the stage where I was scared to use it
due to the rate it used ink. People thought I was a bit odd buying a laser
for home use but it rates as one of my more worthwhile purchases.
What was a shade annoying, having spent £200 on the Brother, those pesky
people at Konica Minolta did a special offer on a colour laser which I think
was around £250. Probably +VAT.

Old March 16th 05, 01:50 AM
Bill 2

wrote:

I've been thinking........

I bought a Canon mono laser to overcome cost of constantly replacing ink
cartridges on my Canon inkjet.

Then the idea occured. If there was a utility that would allow me to print
all the black text of a document on the laser and then run the paper
through
the inkjet and print only the coloured graphics I could have the best of
both worlds.

You have to print through the inkjet first, otherwise you'll have almighty
jams.
You print the colour graphics with the inkjet, add the black text and
laser
print it.
We do it all the time.

I disagree. I do some printing for a newsletter. I photocopy the main body
of the newsletter, then run the sheets through an inkjet to print an
address. Even with slightly curled and wrinkly pages from the photocopier
I've never had a sheet jam.

And I would also be worried about the ink damaging the fuser or something.