HDMI - sound on 5870?

Old December 7th 09, 04:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
boe

Default HDMI - sound on 5870?

Hello,

I'm considering getting a 5870. I'd like to run an HDMI cable (and no
additional cables) to my TV. Can I get video and sound from the 5870 card?
I know HDMI can carry sound, I don't know if it will when attached to a
5870.

Thanks

Old December 7th 09, 04:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
boe

Just one more detail my sound card is a creative labs X-FI. I heard the
nvidia's work with the x-fi for sound but on ATIs you have to use just your
onboard motherboard sound?

Old December 7th 09, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Steven

I believe the 4000 and 5000 series ATI type card will do HDMI sound - I
though this cards have onboard sound chips?? versus using other other sound
cards or internal MB sound chips for this, but not 100% sure ...

I just did this on 2 HTPC with ATI variant 4850/4890 cards -- sound goes
into an AV reciver via HDMI cable only from these cards and works well I did
not have sound cards in these systems, but the boards do have onboard sound
chips

whatever is going on -- it works for just have a single HDMI cable sending
video and sound to the reciver and displays...

I think the 5000 series one may well do HD lossless bitstream out the HDMI
to receivers with the right software HD bluray players.

Old December 8th 09, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Wile E. Coyote

boe wrote:
Just one more detail my sound card is a creative labs X-FI. I heard
the nvidia's work with the x-fi for sound but on ATIs you have to use
just your onboard motherboard sound?

Not true. I have an X-Fi and have used it with both Nvidia cards and ATI
with no such issue. How easy using HDMI sound depends on which OS you
are using. On Vista and Win7 it is very easy to set the ATI HDMI for
sound, you just right click the speaker icon in the system tray, selct
playback devices and then select 'ATI HDMI Output' and then click on
'set default' and sound will now be directed to the ATI HDMI cable to
your HDTV. I have 4 different sound devices that I can all select by
just doing what I described. Onboard analog sound, onboard SPDIF sound,
passthrough SPDIF to receiver SPDIF, and ATI HDMI sound. I use mb sound
now because drivers are way more elegant than the bloated X-Fi drivers
and it sounds just as good but selection would be the same for you with
X-Fi installed. If you have XP though I imagine the selecting of
different sound sources is a bit more complicated and less elegant.
Old March 12th 10, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Foke

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 04:02:02 -0800, "Wile E. Coyote"
wrote:

[...]

LOL. Works basically the same in XP. "Elegant"... heh.