Scan Slides - Epson V500 Recommended Dpi and Bit Settings

Old February 16th 08, 07:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Neil

Default Scan Slides - Epson V500 Recommended Dpi and Bit Settings

If it's bad Usenet etiquette to post the same message on both scanner
groups, tell me and I'll delete this one.

It would be helpful to me and hopefully others to know what settings
you have settled on, reconciling the trade offs between detail, scan
time, and storage. Epson V500 or similar. I know that for ultimate
quality, use the highest settings -- for Epson V500 those are 6400
dpi, 48 bit and ICE -- if I zoom on a detail enough in PhotoShop I can
tell you on my monitor which scan was 3200 dpi and which was 6400 dpi,
but I haven't experimented yet with different color depths. What would
be helpful is to know what you use for a given end result, such as
print size or viewing on a TV. If we get enough responses, this will
be a very useful thread to help people use only the highest setting
necessary for a given end result, where anything higher is not
perceptible for a particular end use. If you have also scanned
negatives (color or B&W), that information will be helpful, too.
Thanks.

Neil
Old February 24th 08, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Roger

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:51:47 -0800 (PST), Neil
wrote:

If it's bad Usenet etiquette to post the same message on both scanner
groups, tell me and I'll delete this one.

It would be helpful to me and hopefully others to know what settings
you have settled on, reconciling the trade offs between detail, scan
time, and storage. Epson V500 or similar. I know that for ultimate
quality, use the highest settings -- for Epson V500 those are 6400

Not necessarily. You have to test each scanner to see if it really
does do its best at its highest resolution and if that resolution is
optical or interpolated.

The B500 looks like a good scanner, but I've not had the opportunity
to use one. So far I've not seen any of the inexpensive flat beds
come close to dedicated film scanners such as the Nikon LS5000ED which
have a lower resolution (only 4000 dpi)

dpi, 48 bit and ICE -- if I zoom on a detail enough in PhotoShop I can
tell you on my monitor which scan was 3200 dpi and which was 6400 dpi,

Can you see the grain in the film? (Other than Kodachrome). You
should easily see the grain in almost any ASA 100 or faster slide and
print film. If you can is the grain sharp and crisp? it should be at
a scan resolution of 6400dpi. The grain in most films is visible at
4000 dpi on a good dedicated film scanner.

but I haven't experimented yet with different color depths. What would
be helpful is to know what you use for a given end result, such as
print size or viewing on a TV. If we get enough responses, this will
be a very useful thread to help people use only the highest setting

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/scanning.htm contains the information
about how to computer what resolutions to use for display and
printing. It might be helpful in a few other areas as well.
NOTE the scanning resolutions vary in relation to the final print size
at 300 dpi (going higher just wastes ink) and screen size (most
monitors are on the order of 72 to 96 dpi although a few rare ones do
go as high as 120.

necessary for a given end result, where anything higher is not
perceptible for a particular end use. If you have also scanned
negatives (color or B&W), that information will be helpful, too.
Thanks.

Good Luck,

Neil

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 28th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Perico de los Palotes

I've been scanning negatives for a while, with a Nikon Coolscan V. After
trial and error, I found that 2400 dpi is a pretty good resolution: it does
not create huge files (about 10 Mbyte per file, in Jpeg format), and I was
not able to see any difference with 4000 dpi ( the maximum resolution for
this scanner) either in screen or print (up to 8 x 10"). 2400 dpi also scans
about twice as fast as 4000: about 13 minutes for a 4-negative strip. This
is extremely dependent on your computer, though: I went from about 20
minutes to 13 when I changed computers.

HTH,