£800ish laptop advice please!!! Acer Aspire 1353LC

Old January 15th 04, 03:10 PM
Jonathan Miles

Default £800ish laptop advice please!!! Acer Aspire 1353LC

Howdy,

I thought I'd try asking this again........

Any recommendations for a laptop at around the £800 mark? The friend I'm
asking for really wants to order it by the weekend. He's also decided he
wants to buy an extended warranty too. Bearing this in mind, I was wondering
about the Acer Aspire 1353LC Athlon 2400+ 256 at Dabs (£786.07 inc VAT) + 3
year on site warranty (parts and labour) (£151.57 inc VAT).

I have no experience of Acer laptops, are they any good? Does anyone know
this model? The warranty seems cheap compared to other brands. Has anyone
used their Acer warranty? (I'm not a great believer in extended warranties,
but he definitely wants one).

hope someone can help!

JM

--
JonathanMiles at uk2 dot net

PS heres the specs:

Processor AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+
Chipset Type VIA ProSavage KN400
Type L2 Cache
Installed Size 512 KB
Installed Size 256 MB / 2 GB (max)
Technology DDR SDRAM - 333 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance PC2700
Storage Controller IDE
Hard Drive 1 x 20 GB
Type CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - integrated
Read Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
Write Speed 16x
CD / DVD Rewrite Speed 12x
Display Type 15" TFT active matrix
Max Resolution 1024 x 768 / 24-bit (16.7M colours)
Graphics Processor / Vendor VIA ProSavage KN400 - AGP 8x
Video Memory Shared Video Memory (UMA) - DDR SDRAM
Max Resolution (external) 1600 x 1200
Audio Output Sound card
Compliant Standards DirectSound, AC '97
Type Keyboard, touchpad, scroll button
Modem Fax / modem - MDC
Max Transfer Rate 56 Kbps
Protocols & Specifications ITU V.90, ITU V.92
Networking Network adapter
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
Expansion Slots Total (Free) 2 ( 1 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pin ¦ 1
( 1 ) x CardBus - type II/III
Interfaces 1 x display / video - S-video output ¦ 1 x IEEE 1394
(FireWire) ¦ 4 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A ¦ 1 x modem - phone line -
RJ-11 ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ¦ 1 x parallel -
IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25) ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15
pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x infrared - IrDA ¦ 1 x microphone - input -
mini-phone 3.5mm ¦ 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone 3.5mm

---

Old January 15th 04, 06:16 PM
nigel. carron

In message , Jonathan
Miles writes
I have no experience of Acer laptops, are they any good? Does anyone
know this model? The warranty seems cheap compared to other brands. Has
anyone used their Acer warranty? (I'm not a great believer in extended
warranties, but he definitely wants one).

Bought an Acer 2.4 celerone dvd/cdrw etc - very impressive for £620 inc
at Comet.The warranty is def worth it on a laptop as the screen dies out
of warranty then its a very expensive replacement.

--
njc AKA (Fastpay, Paypal & nochex e-mail)
Old January 15th 04, 07:35 PM
tim

"nigel. carron" wrote in message
In message , Jonathan
Miles writes
I have no experience of Acer laptops, are they any good? Does anyone
know this model? The warranty seems cheap compared to other brands. Has
anyone used their Acer warranty? (I'm not a great believer in extended
warranties, but he definitely wants one).

Bought an Acer 2.4 celerone dvd/cdrw etc - very impressive for £620 inc
at Comet.The warranty is def worth it on a laptop as the screen dies out
of warranty then its a very expensive replacement.

--
njc AKA (Fastpay, Paypal & nochex e-mail)

So long the LCD panel isn't cracked, then it becomes warranty chargeable.

Old January 15th 04, 10:03 PM
nigel. carron

In message , tim
writes
So long the LCD panel isn't cracked, then it becomes warranty
chargeable

Then you insure against damage? All risks on household etc..

--
njc AKA (Fastpay, Paypal & nochex e-mail)