asrock = useless pricks

Old July 25th 20, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default asrock = useless pricks

I have a Z97M Anniversary mainboard. Doesn't boot, emits 6 beeps.
I have done all the usual crap, swapping RAM, graphics card, CMOS battery,
power supply ad nauseum....
The user manual doesn't have page for beep codes.
I tried searching the asrock website, just get 500 internal server error.
Goodnight clowns, I will never buy anything from them again.

Old July 25th 20, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 06:11:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Goodnight clowns, I will never buy anything from them again.

Socket 1150 / H-Z97 for class Haswell/Broadwell 7 years ago still
sounds potentially rather good for at least a look to Pacific Rim
brand offering replacements. Anything budgeted, to me $50 or near, in
a new motherboard purchase is well worth slipping in beneath the
existing component superstructure, all which should work including a
likely leeway for system memory. Nor should five additional years
usage then be an unrealistic expectation for a $50 panout.

Buying a faster CPU pull, I've found them a reliable market, (even so
far as South Korea's in used Ebay merchanting), also should be
factored for applicability realized by an updated platform. Get While
the Getting's Good if there's that new MB 1150 market;- once MB
production ceases, it's trashed and takes out a platform generation,
where following the industry into advancement update is the sanest
cost-effective alternative.

**** happens in a game of Russian roulette, similarly to owning a
computer, to a degree rather of "acceptable" Maintenance Costs at an
ongoing bias somewhat disposed to a methodology of one-shot averaging.
Old July 25th 20, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Char Jackson wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 06:11:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have a Z97M Anniversary mainboard. Doesn't boot, emits 6 beeps.
I have done all the usual crap, swapping RAM, graphics card, CMOS battery,
power supply ad nauseum....
The user manual doesn't have page for beep codes.
I tried searching the asrock website, just get 500 internal server error.
Goodnight clowns, I will never buy anything from them again.

Every brand, regardless of the underlying product category, has its base of
anti-fans who swear they will never buy that brand again.

There are countless web sites that describe various beep codes. You'd want
to start with knowing who made the BIOS so that you can go down the right
path.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97M%20Anniversary/

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z...nniversary.pdf

"64Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with multilingual GUI support"

A developer can foul up a BIOS and put just about any Port 80
code or beep pattern they want. Normally, a company like
Asrock would not have source for all of that code! You can
tell this, based on how some "issues" have been patched in
the past. The sloppiness tells you they don't have source
for the bringup section. Their access is mainly for
feature adjustments.

[ Warning: Annoying adverts! ]

http://www.bioscentral.com/

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Has the usual sorts of codes.

1 long, 2 short Failure in video system

An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM,
or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered

1 long, 3 short Memory test failure

A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

And this is 6 beeps, if you thought the old beep codes
apply to the new UEFI BIOS...

6 short Gate A20 failure

The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is
not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to
protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller

*******

Randomly bobbing for apples gets me:

https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_V_Status_Codes.pdf

DXE Beep Codes

6 Flash update is failed

https://ami.com/en/tech-blog/acronym-soup-what-is-dxe/

"The acronym DXE stands for Driver eXecution Environment and
begins after the Pre-EFI Initialization (PEI) phase or in the
presence of a valid Hand-Off Block (HOB) list. The DXE phase
consists of a few components, DXE Core, DXE Dispatcher, and
DXE drivers.

The Core component is responsible for producing a set of
Boot Services, DXE Services, and Runtime Services.

The Dispatcher component is responsible for discovering and
executing DXE drivers in the correct order.

Finally, the drivers are responsible for initializing chipset,
processor, and platform components.

The DXE phase has a sub phase known the boot device selection
(BDS) phase for booting an operating system

The DXE Phase ends when the operating system is successfully
booted. The only things that remains of DXE phase are runtime
data structures and services allocated by the DXE Core along
with services and data structures produced by runtime DXE drivers.
"

Which do we believe ?

An old beep definition that doesn't make sense ?

A new beep definition that doesn't make sense ?

Paul
Old August 1st 20, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Char Jackson wrote:

wrote:

I have a Z97M Anniversary mainboard. Doesn't boot, emits 6 beeps. I
have done all the usual crap, swapping RAM, graphics card, CMOS
battery, power supply ad nauseum.... The user manual doesn't have
page for beep codes. I tried searching the asrock website, just get
500 internal server error. Goodnight clowns, I will never buy
anything from them again.

Every brand, regardless of the underlying product category, has its base of
anti-fans who swear they will never buy that brand again.

There are countless web sites that describe various beep codes. You'd want
to start with knowing who made the BIOS so that you can go down the right
path.

Yep, one of which is:

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/beep-codes

To be sure, which brand of BIOS might differ in what the beep codes
mean, like American Megatrends differing from Phoenix. But, as you
noted, pedro wasn't here to ask for help. He was here to vent. His
vent will never be seen by Asrock. He never mentions trying to contact
Asrock's tech support (https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp). He doesn't
even state that he attempted a warranty return.

If that is the depth of pedro's ability to research problems, he should
not be buying parts to build his own system. He should buy pre-builts.

ASROCK Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 Andy[_8_] Overclocking 2 July 24th 08 07:07 PM
Quality of ASRock motherboards ? / Is ASRock the same as Elitegroup (ECS) ? Jason Stacy General 0 November 29th 06 05:21 PM
Useless programs rsvmilly Overclocking 5 March 19th 04 04:42 PM
OEM Nero 6 - useless. Dave Cdr 4 October 8th 03 05:30 PM