Can get internet but can't get the Web? What is up with that?

Old February 22nd 11, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RC[_3_]

Default Can get internet but can't get the Web? What is up with that?

I've not had much luck with the last few routers lately.
Now the router I have will not give me WWW access.
I can still access Usegroups though. I only do email via the web now
so I don't know if that works or not.
Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks
RC
Old February 22nd 11, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , RC wrote:
I've not had much luck with the last few routers lately.
Now the router I have will not give me WWW access.
I can still access Usegroups though. I only do email via the web now
so I don't know if that works or not.
Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks
RC

Go to Internet Explorer, go to TOOLS, Go to INTERNET OPTIONS, Go to
CONNECTIONS, then select LAN Settings, then make sure nothing is checkmarked.
Click OK then exit out of Internet Explorer and then try opening Internet
Explorer and see if it works now.

Old February 22nd 11, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

RC wrote:
I've not had much luck with the last few routers lately.
Now the router I have will not give me WWW access.
I can still access Usegroups though. I only do email via the web now
so I don't know if that works or not.
Any ideas why this is so?

What happens when you put an IP-type URL in your browser addressline?

google websearch page: http://74.125.224.176/

IP chicken in IP syntax: http://209.68.27.16/

If that works, how is your DNS configured?

--
Mike Easter
Old February 22nd 11, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Mike Easter wrote:

RC wrote:
I've not had much luck with the last few routers lately.
Now the router I have will not give me WWW access.
I can still access Usegroups though. I only do email via the web now
so I don't know if that works or not.
Any ideas why this is so?

What happens when you put an IP-type URL in your browser addressline?

google websearch page: http://74.125.224.176/

IP chicken in IP syntax: http://209.68.27.16/

If that works, how is your DNS configured?

Rare few users enter an IP address for the NNTP server in their news
account definition in their newsreader, so it is unlikely that DNS is a
problem. When a site tells you to enter news.individual.net, do you do
an nslookup to get the IP address and use that instead? Maybe but most
users would just enter news.individual.net for the server name.
Old February 22nd 11, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

RC wrote:

I've not had much luck with the last few routers lately. Now the
router I have will not give me WWW access.

"not had much luck" doesn't say anything about WHAT woes you have
encountered. With multiple routers giving you problems and now the one
you are using, the problem doesn't look to be at the router unless, of
course, it isn't your router and your parents are blocking http through
it. You've switched between multiple routers and the problem remains
(unless the reason you switched to different routers was for a different
problem with each one but we wouldn't know since you didn't say). If
the same problem has been experienced with each router, sure looks like
the problem is with your host and not the routers.

If you are using a router, does that mean you have more than one host
connected to it? If so, do the other hosts connect okay via http to web
sites?

I can still access Usegroups though. I only do email via the web now
so I don't know if that works or not.

What happens when you disable the security software you installed on
your host (anti-virus, anti-malware, HIPS, firewall, parental controls
or censorware, etc)? Have you tried rebooting into Windows in its safe
mode (with networking) and checked if you can use http to connect to web
sites?
Old February 22nd 11, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 2/22/2011 11:58 AM, RC wrote:
I've not had much luck with the last few routers lately.
Now the router I have will not give me WWW access.
I can still access Usegroups though. I only do email via the web now
so I don't know if that works or not.
Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks
RC

You are the third post I've seen today with people having issues with
navigating the web today. The other two were in Europe. Are you?
Old February 23rd 11, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Any ideas why this is so?

Yes. You are probably using a NAT router, and
your firewall is blocking port 80. Go to the router
web page on your router and check your tcpip
port settings.

Possibly .. Mommie has parental controls set
to No Internet ? Or you have a funny friend who
did that ?

Note: if your router doesn't have a firewall, then
it's your "other" firewall in your anti-virus. And that
firewall maybe conflicting with Windows firewall
which should be disabled.

If you don't have anti-virus, you should stay off
the internet until you do.
Old March 15th 11, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RCÜ@hotmail.com

Default Can get internet but can't get the Web? What is up with that? One more thing..., it only affects one of my laptops, the rest are fine.

I forgot to mention it and I'm not sure if it makes a difference but
the problem I am having is only with one of my wireless connections.
The other laptops work, it is just one I am having trouble with.
I've not been off work yet long enough to try the other solutions but
I'll try them tonight and get back to those of you who were helpful
enough to give me so advice.

RC

Old March 20th 11, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default ATTENTION GMAN :.... Can get internet but can't get the Web? What is up with that? ATTN: [email protected]

Sir,
After a period of being away from my computer I was finally able to
try your suggestion. I don't consider myself a newbie by any stretch
but I never would have looked there for a problem. And BTW, it worked
like a charm. I was looking for a problem with my router or some
change SOMEONE(?) had made to it. I sometimes think that gremlins
must play on my computers because of all the changes I often find.

Do you have any thoughts on how this could have been changed?
Would some program do it? I install and remove programs all the time
but nothing that I would think would mess with IE. Nor has anything
ASKed if it could tweak IE.

Again, a thousand thanks.
Any chance you can tell me your thoughts on how you arrived as that to
be the source of the problem? Just to help me in the future when I do
trouble shooting.
I suppose that since I had Internet to the computer it had to be IE or
the router, (right?) I mean, you had to consider the router as a
possible source of the problem?

Old March 20th 11, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:58:29 -0500, RC wrote:

I've not had much luck with the last few routers lately.
Now the router I have will not give me WWW access.
I can still access Usegroups though. I only do email via the web now
so I don't know if that works or not.
Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks
RC

To the other users, thank you, but Gman had the first and only correct
answer.
But thank you for attempting to help (those of you who did in fact
make an attempt and not just a comment.)

Also,

to Mike Easter: I get nothing when I put in any address. Not
connected to the net.

Tvelblen - I'm not in Europe.

Johns - mommie or a friend may have dicked with controls but the
router is PW protected and to complex to be guessed ( I use the word
password, crazy eh!) and I still get Internet, just not IE. I didn't
try a second Web Surfing prog like Chrome or Firefox as I've been away
recently helping to keep the world safe from evil doers.

But GMAN was spot on in his solution to my problem and that with the
poorly written explanation of my problem. The man is good to both
figure out what I meant from what I wrote and then to solve the
problem. I couldn't pay for this kind of help.

Thanks again for the help.

RC

[SEMI-OT] Microsoft launch Internet Explorer 9 web browser Tony Harding[_5_] Dell Computers 3 September 18th 10 11:46 AM
web developer/web designer hed General 0 March 2nd 06 04:31 AM
Scan-to-Web or Share-to-web ya.com Scanners 0 February 5th 04 08:22 PM
notebook connect to internet but doesnt browse the web Luis General 1 December 10th 03 02:43 AM
Is more frames possible with a web cam for internet Leo Reyes Webcams 0 November 12th 03 03:48 AM