"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Old August 14th 18, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/12/2018 12:58 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 20:37:01 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ch...ves,37563.html

"It’s been years since I was willing to work on any PC that boots from a
mechanical hard drive. Once you get used to the snappy response times
and speedier gameload times of an SSD, going back to a hard drive feels
like computing through a thick layer of molasses."

Lynn

If you were buying a 'large' drive now, what would you buy? SMR seems
like something to be avoided, so if I want a drive in the 8-10-12+
range, what's available?

Not just asking Lynn, anyone can chime in.

I buy 8 TB WD externals for backups drives for our LAN. We have three
spinning and seven externals. I replace one external drive every six
months and archive the old one. It may be time to jump to the 10 TB,
our LAN backup is now 4 TB.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-...dp/B01LQQHLGC/

Lynn

Old August 14th 18, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

wrote:

[...]

Your situation is obviously business-related while my situation is just
a home LAN with a handful of PCs, three of which I actually care about,
so the part about archiving a drive every six months and replacing it
wouldn't apply, but the rest is very helpful.

I see the 8TB on Amazon for $160 ($20/GB) and the 10TB for $270
($27/GB), both of which are pretty darn amazing. The higher per-GB price
of the 10TB is offset by the fact that fewer drives are needed, if
USB/SATA ports or desktop/bay space are a limiting factor.

In my case, if I were to buy external drives, I would open the cases and
strip the drives out to mount them internally. I don't have much use for
external drives, but I know they're popular with others.

Old August 15th 18, 02:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mike

wrote:

[...]

Make sure you know what you're getting.
I bought a 2.5" external USB drive.
Took it apart to discover that the USB is on the drive controller
board and there's no option to use it otherwise.
No idea if this happens with 3.5".
Old August 15th 18, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

wrote:

[...]

Good point. I always read reviews, especially the Q&A section, since
people tend to ask what's inside an external case.

Old August 15th 18, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I stripped the 8 TB out of an external WD drive to replace the internal
4 TB backup drive on my office pc. The USB is on a daughterboard so no
big deal. I've done the stripping before.

However, my office pc will not address the 8 TB internal drive. It will
address the 4 TB internal drive though. So, my conclusion is that my 5
year old Gigabyte Z68XP motherboard cannot address the 8 TB drive. I
bought a SATA board to see if it can address the drive but have yet to
try it out.

Lynn
Old August 15th 18, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mike

wrote:

[...]

That's not always the case. I have at least one example of a 2.5"
external drive where the USB is on the drive controller board and not
removable...
as I stated above.

Old August 15th 18, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

I've run into this problem in discussions of "shucking".
That's the practice (as a business) by some, where they
buy 2.5" external products, strip out the drive, and
sell the drive as a raw mechanism. And some of those
people got caught by the change in design. The problem
is, you'd need to find a compatible controller board,
to replace the USB version with. Since 15mm high 2.5" drives
were never intended to be retailed, there's no guarantee that
a SATA version of drive controller board exists. But I
understand too, that external companies sometimes make
these controllers, and that would remain a possibility
as a replacement.

You have to credit the product manufacturer, with
finding a way to stop "shucking". Pretty clever.
If the board used a USB to SATA converter chip, maybe
you could tap into where the SATA connection exists.
While they could do a SOC with USB on the side,
what are the odds of that happening ?

On the very first SATA drives built, they made IDE controller
boards, then slapped an IDE to SATA converter
chip onto the controller board. There is a precedent
for "bodging" a controller board for the purpose.
While it's easy to get SOCs with USB on the side,
it's hard to say whether those would be available
to make this development "easy". Slapping a USB to
SATA chip on the controller board instead, would
only cost money, and they wouldn't need to spin any
firmware. Which makes the option attractive
from a development perspective.

*******

And I've never heard of a motherboard controller
having an issue with disk size. That's a first.
There are all sorts of USB to SATA converters
with weird firmware limits. The closest "buggy"
design, was the SIL3112 add-on SATA chip, that
used to "freeze" when 1TB drives got connected.
And a firmware change fixed that. It wasn't really
broken.

In an example here, the problem was traced to an
Intel RST driver.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/110559

http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=31350

Jan 07, 2011

"The latest Intel Rapid Storage does not have support
for 3tb hard disk drives on RAID mode. Only for AHCI.
Future releases of the Intel Rapid Storage software
will support 2TB hard drives on RAID."

And you could always run MSAHCI or STORAHCI or whatever
passes for an in-box driver, rather than something like
one of those drivers. In some cases, you have more than
one choice for a driver solution.

Paul
Old August 16th 18, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
wasbit[_4_]

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
news

snip

I stripped the 8 TB out of an external WD drive to replace the internal 4
TB backup drive on my office pc. The USB is on a daughterboard so no big
deal. I've done the stripping before.

However, my office pc will not address the 8 TB internal drive. It will
address the 4 TB internal drive though. So, my conclusion is that my 5
year old Gigabyte Z68XP motherboard cannot address the 8 TB drive. I
bought a SATA board to see if it can address the drive but have yet to try
it out.

They are called 'schucked' drives.

Try powering the drive from a Molex + Sata adaptor or remove the 3.3v wire
from the Sata cable.

-
https://lime-technology.com/forums/t...n-flashed-lsi/

Or, isolate pin 3 on the drive
- https://zackreed.me/hgst-7k6000-not-...g-not-working/

--
Regards
wasbit

Old September 2nd 18, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 8/15/2018 12:04 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

However, my office pc will not address the 8 TB internal drive.* It will
address the 4 TB internal drive though.* So, my conclusion is that my 5
year old Gigabyte Z68XP motherboard cannot address the 8 TB drive.

Maybe a bios update. Also, for some brands, tech support is helpful. For
one board, Gigabyte spun me a new bios. But for another they said get a
more expensive board, even though included bios settings didn't work.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old September 6th 18, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Resetting the bios might do it.