Adding 2nd Hard Drive

Old December 3rd 03, 05:51 AM
Joe

Default Adding 2nd Hard Drive

I want to add a second hard drive to my Dimension 8200. I currently have an
80 Gig HD. I sent a message to Dell tech support to ask them "what is the
maximum size of hard drive that I can put in my system".

They replied as follows: system can support a maximum capacity of 120GB.
Since your system currently has 80GB, you can add another 40GB to your
system.

I was hoping that I could buy a 200 Gig HD. Am I limited to what Dell has
told me or can I install a larger drive to my system? Thank you for any
replies.

Old December 3rd 03, 07:04 AM
PC Gladiator

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm says you should have
another internal drive bay (total 2). Any drive over 137GB needs 48 bit LBA
support. Your system *may* not support it. Check this site
http://www.48bitlba.com/index.htm for info on this.

BTW, I think they meant you can put in a drive that is 120GB, not a total of
120GB. So with your two internal bays, you could put two 120GB drives. If
you have a free 5.25 bay, you could put a third 120GB drive there as well.

. com...

Old December 3rd 03, 11:55 AM
Tom Scales

Joe,

If you have an open PCI slot, you can add a card and attach the new drive to
the card, without limits.

for example, Circuit City has a $149 (with rebate) 250GB drive. Carefully
read the package. Some of them come with a free card.

mine did.

Tom
"PC Gladiator" wrote in message
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm says you should

have
another internal drive bay (total 2). Any drive over 137GB needs 48 bit

LBA
support. Your system *may* not support it. Check this site
http://www.48bitlba.com/index.htm for info on this.

BTW, I think they meant you can put in a drive that is 120GB, not a total

of
120GB. So with your two internal bays, you could put two 120GB drives.

If
you have a free 5.25 bay, you could put a third 120GB drive there as well.

. com...

Old December 3rd 03, 10:22 PM
Ray Setzer

Buy the 200Gig and partition it into two 100 Gig partions. No need to plunk
down $ on new cards and such.

The 120 Gig limit Dell speaks of would be PER-Drive, so simple answer. Keep
your 80Gig, Buy the 200, install and partition into two 100's (Or any
combination of fractions of 200 that do no exceed 120 as your needs may be.)

. com...

Old December 4th 03, 12:42 AM
Peptic_Sheriff

I just installed a 120 gb HDD in my 8200 with no problem ...along with
the original 60gb

Old December 4th 03, 01:16 AM
Tom Scales

That won't work. It's not per partition, it's per "entire drive". The
200GB, even partitioned as two 100GB, WON'T work.

Tom
"Ray Setzer" wrote in message
Buy the 200Gig and partition it into two 100 Gig partions. No need to

plunk
down $ on new cards and such.

The 120 Gig limit Dell speaks of would be PER-Drive, so simple answer.

Keep
your 80Gig, Buy the 200, install and partition into two 100's (Or any
combination of fractions of 200 that do no exceed 120 as your needs may

be.)

. com...

Old December 4th 03, 03:24 PM
Ray Setzer

No, I don't believe so. If you use partitition magic you can "see" the whole
drive and make it into smaller ones.

"Ray Setzer" wrote in message
Buy the 200Gig and partition it into two 100 Gig partions. No need to

plunk
down $ on new cards and such.

The 120 Gig limit Dell speaks of would be PER-Drive, so simple answer.

Keep
your 80Gig, Buy the 200, install and partition into two 100's (Or any
combination of fractions of 200 that do no exceed 120 as your needs may

be.)

. com...

Old December 6th 03, 07:29 PM
Brian K

That's correct. The bios will still show the drive as say 120 GB but PM
(installed, not from floppies in this situation) can let Windows see the
remainder of the drive.

Brian