A7N8X-X, retail Barton 2500/333 @ 2200/200

Old January 7th 04, 12:48 PM
Tundra Wookie

Default A7N8X-X, retail Barton 2500/333 @ 2200/200

I just got a new board, proc and mem today, threw it together and me being
the space cadet that I am, set the FSB to 200 in the BIOS. On boot I raised
an eyebrow when I saw it reporting a 3200+ and it proceeded to boot
peacefully. I've been running it and abusing it for the past 10 hours after
about a dozen reboots to get the drivers hammered out.(Did not reload the
OS). CPU temp coasting at 30-35C, MB holding 19C, ambient is 18C. Is this
normal or did I just get super lucky?

--TW bought retail proc because I figured it was worth the $5 to get a fan.

Old January 7th 04, 04:49 PM
Moods

Tundra Wookie, you say...
I just got a new board, proc and mem today, threw it together and me being
the space cadet that I am, set the FSB to 200 in the BIOS. On boot I raised
an eyebrow when I saw it reporting a 3200+ and it proceeded to boot
peacefully. I've been running it and abusing it for the past 10 hours after
about a dozen reboots to get the drivers hammered out.(Did not reload the
OS). CPU temp coasting at 30-35C, MB holding 19C, ambient is 18C. Is this
normal or did I just get super lucky?

--TW bought retail proc because I figured it was worth the $5 to get a fan.

Nice hobby huh? ;-)
See if your proc is locked. Try lowering your multiplier and see how
high you can get your fsb, if it won't start, up vcore, if it starts run
prime95 to see if it's stable.

I have a barton 2600+ on the same A7N8X-X, running stable at 10.5x216
42C full load. I'm trying to run it at 11x216, getting there, getting
there! :-D
This is the best obssesion I've had in years ;-)

--
Ugh!
Old January 7th 04, 05:54 PM
Craig

Do you live in Alaska? What are you using to read temps? Anyway, your
setup was all the talk when the A7N8X-X came out. It is a very economical
way to get a 3200+ and 400mhz memory. One slight drawback is the it's not
dual channel memory. Another problem is two other boards I tried had
problems with momory. I would run stock and get reboots with Corasir,
Mushkin and Crucial. Sent them back. It's a cheap board and it comes down
to the luck of the draw.
Tundra Wookie, you say...

Old January 7th 04, 08:53 PM
Tundra Wookie

"Craig" wrote in message
Do you live in Alaska? What are you using to read temps? Anyway, your
setup was all the talk when the A7N8X-X came out. It is a very economical
way to get a 3200+ and 400mhz memory. One slight drawback is the it's not
dual channel memory. Another problem is two other boards I tried had
problems with momory. I would run stock and get reboots with Corasir,
Mushkin and Crucial. Sent them back. It's a cheap board and it comes

down
to the luck of the draw.

I do live in AK; the ambient was interior. Exterior when I wrote the
original post was -30F. Using the Asus Probe utility for the mobo/proc temps
and my desk thermometer for ambient. The box is running significantly cooler
than it used to; previously it was an A7V133 w/Palomino 2000+ and the case
temp ran in the 30s, processor in the 50s; this is in an Antec with the
400w's PSU fan and 3 case fans, mind you; it was noisy and dirty. My power
supply crapped out, and since that mobo/proc combo was nothing but crap it's
whole life, I decided it was time to upgrade.

One odd note, the boot screen specifically notes that the memory is in
single channel configuration.

--TW The memory price went up $20 overnight??

Old January 7th 04, 09:16 PM
M Arino

Cool!

Some people are just not lucky and never get those results, some
others are lucky as you were and get it right first time around.
Congratulations!

Now, if you really want to go till the end for those few extra Mhz
(word of warning: one cannot say beforehand if all the tweaking is
going to be worth it, but it will be some OC skills training), you
could try going up little by little 2-3 Mhz increments of the FSB. If
you have good memory, I guess you could reach between 205 and 210 Mhz
FSB... a 0.1 Volt more to the memory, a bit more relaxed CAS timings
and a notch or two up the Vcore may be needed.

Also look up the motherboards manual for "reset CMOS" (if it doesn't
boot up, it might be necessary to reset the computer's BIOS settings)
with luck and patience, you could maybe get 2300 Mhz (only guessing).
It is almost impossible that you toast the CPU, cause the Mobo has
some Overheating protection that will keep it safe as londg as you
don't pour gasoline on it.

So, you can let it be as it is, quite a good OC, or you could try to
see were do you get. Hell, I get 2360 Mhz with this 2200+ of mine,
only advantage for me being that it is unlocked so I can set the
multi/FSB range as I want. You have to max out the FSB, a bit tougher
considering that you'll run the memory out of spec...

Miguel

Old January 8th 04, 01:55 AM
James Paraskeva

Tundra Wookie wrote:
I just got a new board, proc and mem today, threw it together and me being
the space cadet that I am, set the FSB to 200 in the BIOS. On boot I raised
an eyebrow when I saw it reporting a 3200+ and it proceeded to boot
peacefully. I've been running it and abusing it for the past 10 hours after
about a dozen reboots to get the drivers hammered out.(Did not reload the
OS). CPU temp coasting at 30-35C, MB holding 19C, ambient is 18C. Is this
normal or did I just get super lucky?

--TW bought retail proc because I figured it was worth the $5 to get a fan.

i run mine at the same... but im at 35-40C (1.65V)... i am in an
Australian Summer though =P (Thermaltake 12)