What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Old September 9th 13, 04:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Misha

Default What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:16:46 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

Ok but, please don't use Google Groups !

Heh heh. I've NEVER used Google Groups. I just used the Deja-News-like
search engine to clarify that the suggested newsgroup existed (because
when I updated my group list in my nntp client, that group still had
not shown up).

Once I confirmed that the group actually existed, I realized there
was a problem with my nntp client group list.

So, I manually deleted my nntp client & newsgroup files, and re-installed
the nntp client and lo and behold, when I refreshed the group list,
that suggested android group FINALLY showed up.

I'm not sure WHY it didn't show up before. Maybe it's a new group?
But, it seems active - which is all that matters.

Thanks for that suggestion, and all your other explanations!

Old September 9th 13, 05:03 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:18:43 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

I have managed a few hundred HP Printers on HP JetDirect Print Servers.

Is the "JetDirect" print server this "box" sticking out the
side of the printer?
http://i40.tinypic.com/25r166w.gif

Or is the JetDirect just firmware running on the motherboard?

Old September 9th 13, 05:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Aragorn[_3_]

On Monday 09 September 2013 05:59, Misha conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux...

I'm not sure WHY it didn't show up before. Maybe it's a new group?

Yes, it is. It was created only a month, maybe two months ago.

--
= Aragorn =
GNU/Linux user #223157 - http://www.linuxcounter.net
Old September 9th 13, 05:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
Misha

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 00:33:37 +0000, unruh wrote:

Sure it would. It will use the same address as before unless there is a
reason not to (eg that address is in use by something else).

Ah. I see. I start at 192.168.1.2 and let DHCP assign the addresses.
I don't have 16 PCs and phones, so, I guess there's nothing stopping
the printer from keeping its old address (from another home) of
192.168.1.16 then. Even with DHCP.

Old September 9th 13, 05:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:14:59 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

BTW: That's a HP Jetdirect 600n and the last Firmware is Version =
G.08.49 Your Telnet session shows; "G.07.20" so it could be upgraded.
However it isn't too important and you are just learning about HP
JetDirect Print Servers.

Thanks for that foreknowledge.

I'll probably keep the "JetDirect" at the current version unless I know
of a reason to change it. I don't want to have to reconfigure the windows
machines if I don't have to. I'm not sure what's transparent and what
isn't, to the windows and Linux machines.

BTW, I think "this" is the JetDirect box on the side of the printer:
http://i40.tinypic.com/25r166w.gif

Right?

Old September 9th 13, 05:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 17:51:37 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

So many folks just update for the sake of update's and getting into
trouble.

I can't count the number of times I've worried that I've bricked
a device simply upgrading it to the latest firmware.

So I don't disagree with you.

Old September 9th 13, 05:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Misha

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 06:05:05 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

Yes, it is. It was created only a month, maybe two months ago.

Ah, that might explain it then.
Thanks!

Old September 9th 13, 07:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Jasen Betts

On 2013-09-08, Misha wrote:
Just in case others need this, here is the sequence that finally worked
to be able to print to a networked printer for my first time, using
Windows XP and Linux (on deck is Windows 7 and Android).

0. Connect HP 2100TN printer ethernet to your home broadband router.
2. Configure Windows XP (also wired to the router) to print to it:
http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
3. Configure Linux (wirelessly connected to the router) to print to it:
http://i42.tinypic.com/rjl37s.jpg

Since this was all hunt-and-peck, I post these to help others and for
folks (who actually know what they're doing) to tell me whether I could
have configured WinXP and Linux an easier way to print to a networked
printer.

Your linux method looks near optimal.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Old September 9th 13, 08:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux
Jasen Betts

On 2013-09-08, Misha wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 17:25:42 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

telnet 192.168.1.3 9100

That will open up a Telnet bsession with no feedback.

You're not kidding there's no feedback!
I had to reboot the computer to kill the session!

to end a stuck telnet session: ctrl-] Q enter

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Old September 9th 13, 12:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
David H. Lipman

From: "Misha"

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:14:59 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

BTW: That's a HP Jetdirect 600n and the last Firmware is Version =
G.08.49 Your Telnet session shows; "G.07.20" so it could be upgraded.
However it isn't too important and you are just learning about HP
JetDirect Print Servers.

Thanks for that foreknowledge.

I'll probably keep the "JetDirect" at the current version unless I know
of a reason to change it. I don't want to have to reconfigure the windows
machines if I don't have to. I'm not sure what's transparent and what
isn't, to the windows and Linux machines.

BTW, I think "this" is the JetDirect box on the side of the printer:
http://i40.tinypic.com/25r166w.gif

Right?

Yes, inside that metal cage and under that plastic door.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp