Overheating Processor

Old July 29th 03, 11:41 PM
KHerring

Default Overheating Processor

(rob) wrote in message . com...
Hi..

I have recently installed some diagnostics programs made specifically
for my motherboard, and i have found some temperature readings that
seem rather hot!

I have a 1.466ghz AMD Athlon XP 1700+ processor which seems to be
getting very hot ( according to the diagnostics program ) the
processor seems to reach temperatures of up to 85 degrees celsius,
which from what i have read isn't normal.

Although i have seen these figures, I can't tell that the processor
may be overheating any other way. My computer doesn't make any
unexplaned errors and other errors that would be caused by an
overheat.

If the processor was certainly this temperature, would it crash the
computer and eventually stop the computer working? If this is so, i
can gather that this processor just runs at such a high temperature,
or that there is somthing wrong with the CPU thermometer or the
diagnostics program. I have been running this processor on the same
motherboard and with the same fan for over a year now (and have
cleaned out the dust occasionally). The fan is running at 4440 rpm
according to the diagnostics program and the chassis temperature is
approx 35 celsius

Could someone tell me if this is normal for this processor please..

Thanks...

Although your computer has not shown errors or even crashed, a CPU
temp as high as your's is rather high. Most temps I have seen are
anywhere between 50 and 60 degrees celsius.

I would recommend looking into purchasing a copper fin style heatsink
to dissapate the heat. At least drop it by 10 or 20 degrees.

Yes, you system will not crash, but this kind of heat will shorten
it's life.
Old July 30th 03, 03:48 PM
Graeme

At 85 degree's you will become unstable. AMD's don't like to be run
over 70 before they start falling over.

Could it be that you fan+heatsink have become out of contact with the
chip? It might be worth reseating it and putting fresh heat compond
(actic silver compound if possible) on the sink.

Also, have you checked the fan is actually working? I know the
diagnostic tool stated 4400rpm but it could be lying.

Just my 2 pence's worth

Old July 31st 03, 11:04 AM
rob

Thanks for the help, i have checked in the bios and they read the same
temperatures, as well as the program that was suggested. i know when i
put the processor in that there isnt any thermal paste on it , but
then there was a small amount already attached to the fan, which came
with the processor, so should be suitable for this make, (it came in
the same box as the processor.

I heard that amd claims that they can run up to 95c, which i have
found to be correct, but i dont believe is safe, but since the system
doesn't tend to crash as it would if there was a problem. But to be
safe, and to extend the length of it's life i think i will invest in
some of the thermal paste and a new fan.

I also noticed the fan was blowing towards the processor, or it doesnt
produce much of a draft.

which way is it supposed to go? i checked if its plugged in back to
front but it's not.

thanks..
Old July 31st 03, 01:03 PM
S.Heenan

rob wrote:
[...]

The retail heatsink comes with thermal interface material attached to the
base. It's covered by a thin layer of plastic to prevent contamination. The
plastic strip must be removed before use.
Remove your heatsink and fan. Clean the bottom of the heatsink with 99%
isopropyl alcohol available from the local drugstore. Clean the core of the
CPU; the raised rectangular part. Spread a thin layer of thermal paste and
reattach the heatsink to the ZIF sicket.
Here's a guide: http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm
--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

Old September 14th 03, 04:22 AM
Hoffman

Rob asked the following: "which way is it supposed to go? i checked if its
plugged in back to
front but it's not."
I may be wrong, but isn't the fan supposed to blow away from the processor,
so the heat is drawn away from the heat sink?
Larry

"S.Heenan" wrote in message
. ca...

Old September 14th 03, 04:45 AM
S.Heenan

Hoffman wrote:
Rob asked the following: "which way is it supposed to go? i checked
if its plugged in back to
front but it's not."
I may be wrong, but isn't the fan supposed to blow away from the
processor, so the heat is drawn away from the heat sink?
Larry

Depends. One newer heatsinks with thinner, longer, and more numerous fins, a
fan blowing inward is often recommended. Where the fins are shorter and less
numerous, a fan mounted either way seems equally effective.
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

Athon 64 bit processor applications stability. S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed Overclocking AMD Processors 8 February 16th 05 03:50 AM
P4B Question Crhoff Asus Motherboards 2 December 21st 04 12:37 PM
Processor Overheating (Running at 80 C) matt General 2 July 28th 04 07:41 PM
Dell 8400: Processor Vs. Ram Tracy Dell Computers 7 July 27th 04 07:43 PM