M2010 -- initial thoughts

Old May 16th 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Default M2010 -- initial thoughts

My new XPS M2010 arrived today. This thing is fascinating.

Specs:

Core 2 Duo T7200
100GB 7200 rpm drive
2GB memory
20" WXSGA screen
Bluetooth wireless keyboard
Bluetooth wireless mouse
MCE remote control with built-in gyration mouse features
ATI Radeon Mobility X1800
Intel wireless 3945
Integrated SD + xD + Memory Stick Pro + CF card reader
USB
Firewire
Integrated IR blaster to control a cable box

Windows Vista Home Premium

My goal was a semi-portable machine that could be my media client/TV for
our back patio (seriously).

My first reaction is that this is a marvel of engineering. The fit and
feel is top notch, better than any Dell I have ever seen. The DVD-RW
drive is slot load and powers up from the unit (hard to describe, but
cool). The remote is incredible and I can control the mouse by waving it
in the air.

The Keyboard has an integrated touch pad and full media controls. It
detaches easily from the base and connects through Bluetooth.

The screen is simply stunning and not that much smaller than my 2405.

So far all I have loaded (and all I will likely load) is the Snapstream
Beyond TV Link software to playback recorded television and movies. It
will not seamlessly play full HD streams over wireless. I didn't expect
that it would. With 9GB per hour recordings, streaming and decoding them
just can't keep up on a wireless link. Not a major problem, as the last
step of the recording can be to convert to Divx. No visible loss in
quality, but reduces the files to about 2GB per hour. They play
perfectly over the wireless. The MCE remote controls BTV just fine.

So, now I'm off to watch a show in the cool evening air on my outdoor
love seat by the pool. Damn I have a good life

Tom

Old May 16th 07, 06:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:50:34 -0400, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

[...]

I feel the same way sitting in my Archie Bunker leather chair in a
recliner position in the air conditioned living room watching Directv
with laptop in lap, sipping a smoothie and snapping my fingers to the
family when I want something. Ok, the snapping of fingers does little
as they don't listen to me but the rest is true!!

XPS M2010 Tom Scales Dell Computers 4 May 30th 07 02:58 AM
Compaq Presario Laptop M2010 US Won't Start [email protected] Compaq Computers 1 November 13th 06 03:38 AM
Initial state of DDR RAM pins? Roger Bourne General 2 July 5th 06 02:29 PM
Initial Boot Display ? geezer General 1 March 18th 05 12:24 PM
Cat 3.7. Initial Impressions? J.Clarke Ati Videocards 26 September 6th 03 05:16 PM