Is a DVD Writer repairable?

Old November 24th 04, 07:13 AM
buj-buj

Default Is a DVD Writer repairable?

Am writing from India. I have an HP300i (NEC ND-1100A) DVD+R/RW writer
on my HP Pavilion t250i desktop. Just 14 months old. Have burned 3
DVDs and about 20 CD-RWs with it. System began freezing at the HP
invent blue start-up screen and wouldn't go further, no response to
F1/F8. HP Service says that the DVD Writer has "failed" though they
will not/cannot specify exactly what the problem is, and that is why
my system locks up. With the DVD Writer disconnected, the system does
boot up tho' much slower than before.

HP Service says they cannot repair the DVD Writer at all. They want me
to replace i.e. buy a new Writer. I find it absurd that a DVD Writer
cannot be repaired. In India, it's extremely expensive (Rs. 15,000,
that's about US$ 300). Anyone who's had this experience with the
HP300i (NEC ND-1100A) and been able to fix the problem? Could it be a
software problem? Will a firmware upgrade help?

Old November 24th 04, 02:27 PM
Dan G

The chances are just as good that this is a software/driver problem or some
other hardware issue like IDE controller.

Old November 24th 04, 03:19 PM
Peter van der Goes

"buj-buj" wrote in message
[...]

Have you called HP service back to have them address the slow boot issue?
IME, that is normally a symptom of some kind of configuration problem.
Can you try the DVD Writer in another PC to see if it's recognized?
I agree with Dan that there are many possibilities other than a failed drive
that need to be addressed, and if you can establish that the drive is/is not
recognized in another PC, you can work from there.
If you can install the drive in another PC, remember that to be recognized
as a DVD-ROM (writing requires software installation), no drivers, etc. are
required. It should simply appear in the drive list in Windows Explorer. If
it is recognized, you know the drive itself is OK. If it's not, it's
probably dead.

Old November 24th 04, 08:38 PM
Mike Richter

buj-buj wrote:
[...]

You may find local service to tackle the job, depending on where you are
in India. In most of the world, the cost of repair exceeds that of
replacement so manufacturers have largely forgotten about maintenance.

While I would not normally recommend local repair without being able to
identify a competent person, you have an unusual situation. Replacement
is many times more expensive and high-technology skills are less
expensive than in other lands. You might ask first at a local
university; they have digital equipment and means for maintaining it.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old November 25th 04, 02:43 PM
TommyDale

lid (buj-buj) wrote in message ...
[...]

The key here is that you say it is a slow boot, even with the DVD
drive disconnected. I think HP Service people are idiots anyway, so
if if were my computer, I would remove the DVD Drive, then reload
Windows (I assume you have Windows XP) from your restore disk. Then
update Windows completely with SP2, etc and get all the newest
updates. (If you do not have a CD drive then borrow one.) Once
Windows has reloaded, connect the DVD Drive back into the system and
let Windows "find" it with the correct driver. I suppose you could
also do this with the suspect DVD drive installed, but I would do it
one step at a time to see if the DVD is really bad. I doubt it is
bad, just the HP Service is bad.
Old November 26th 04, 01:54 AM
half_pint

Maybe the DVD is OK but it is a software problem?

Or maybe you could open it up and have a 'poke around' in it
yourself? That worked with one of my CD drives but I think it
is in a bad mood again.

Fortunately I think the price of DVD writers is dropping all the time,

Why not try Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...26213 26&rd=1

That one is currently £16 ($28?) (12 hours to go) all it needs is to be
shipped (posted) to you.
Gotta be better than $300!!!!

Old November 26th 04, 12:46 PM
Troy

The blind leading the blind

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...em=51426213 2

Old November 27th 04, 04:38 PM
half_pint

I would rather be lead by a man who is blind the one who is
brain dead.

"Troy" wrote in message
The blind leading the blind

Old November 27th 04, 09:24 PM
Troy

You should change your name to half_whit

You can't even figure out a simple burner problem.you are in no position to
give advice.

Old November 28th 04, 02:08 AM
half_pint

"Troy" wrote in message
You should change your name to half_whit

Wow your originality astounds me, you are obviously a genius!!!!

You can't even figure out a simple burner problem.you are in no position

give advice.

Well as you can't figure it out either I suggest you button your fat lip,
before I make it fatter.

If you have nothing constructive to add then why don't you just **** off?

You are such a pathetic ****** you cannot even make an attempt at the OP's
problem all you can do it slag off people who offer advice.

Hence I place you in my iggy bin, I only wish I had done that a long time
ago.

Adious Arsehole.

HP DVD Writer 300i useenomeyes Cdr 2 September 23rd 04 03:56 AM
Is there any benefit to 80 wire IDE cable for DVD writer? Isaac Kuo Homebuilt PC's 5 February 13th 04 03:07 PM
Why the Writer Writeth Not cybrwurm General 1 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
CD Writer hangs after failed firmware upgrade Lokke Cdr 17 November 17th 03 10:26 PM
CD Writer/ DVD Writer software on new build HMSDOC Homebuilt PC's 0 October 29th 03 12:01 PM