USB 2.0 Card not detecting Printer

Old December 27th 04, 08:50 PM
aptadmin

Default USB 2.0 Card not detecting Printer

I just bought a usb pci card for my pc so i can install a new printer. I
have my keyboard and mouse on the only 2 available on-board ports. The
printer will install correctly on the on-board port if I remove the
keyboard. but the keyboard, mouse or printer will not install on the pci
card. I did successfully install a usb drive on the pci card though. I am
running win2k pro, the usb card is an ALI pci to usb card, and my
motherboard is an ASUS P3B-F.

Old December 28th 04, 01:04 AM
Shep©

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:50:50 -0800 The moonlight laughed on the
blade's edge when "aptadmin" wrote :

I just bought a usb pci card for my pc so i can install a new printer. I
have my keyboard and mouse on the only 2 available on-board ports. The
printer will install correctly on the on-board port if I remove the
keyboard. but the keyboard, mouse or printer will not install on the pci
card. I did successfully install a usb drive on the pci card though. I am
running win2k pro, the usb card is an ALI pci to usb card, and my
motherboard is an ASUS P3B-F.

Try disabling one of the USB drivers in the Device Manager.Going from
USB 1 to 2 can cause this e.g the older USB 1 protocol can inhibit the
USB 2.There are no specific fixes or knowledge on USB devices only and
at best educated guesses as all manufacturers make devices that do not
fully comply with either.
Also as we many of us keep older hardware and upgrade O/S windows
has never been that good at allowing for this(No matter what version)
and this is not just a driver problem.
There are some good sites but even they need ,"You" to be able to
tweak things.
This is one of the best,
http://www.usbman.com/
But also click here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
and also clean the registry.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old December 28th 04, 02:21 AM
Jerry G.

If you are running ME, or 98, and you want to upgrade to USB 2, this can be
a bit disconserning. Also, if your mother board has a BIOS that is more than
a few years old, this can add to the complexity of things.

If you needed more ports in an older machine, you may have been better off
using a USB 1 expansion, or using an externaly powered USB hub.

As for printers and scanners, you may have to use a USB port that is
directly on the motherboard host controler. This has to do with the timing
of the IRQ sharing.

As for the speed, when using a scanner or printer, there are physical
limitations in these devices that are slower than your USB 1 port. There is
very little difference between USB 1 and USB 2 when using slow devices.
Where you would see the difference, is when using a USB DVD drive, or USB CD
writer, USB memory stick, or USB hard disk.

--

Jerry G.
=====

Old December 28th 04, 10:10 PM
Quaoar

aptadmin wrote:
I just bought a usb pci card for my pc so i can install a new
printer. I have my keyboard and mouse on the only 2 available
on-board ports. The printer will install correctly on the on-board
port if I remove the keyboard. but the keyboard, mouse or printer
will not install on the pci card. I did successfully install a usb
drive on the pci card though. I am running win2k pro, the usb card
is an ALI pci to usb card, and my motherboard is an ASUS P3B-F.

Did you follow the hardware and driver installation instructions exactly
as specified by the vendor? Do you see the correct "Enhanced USB Host
Controller" in device manager? These often install as a single
"enhanced" (USB2) host controller and one USB host controller per
physical USB port; i.e., one enhanced controller plus four normal
controllers for a four port card. You might Google the name of the
vendor of the host controllers to see if there are known problems with
Win2k. There was an NEC controller that had problems as I recall.

I don't know about the mouse and keyboard - is there any option to
select the ports being used? For the printer, you might look at the
properties, ports tab, and see if there is are ports for the pci card
listed and simply change to one of those ports or browse to see if they
exist. This works in XP when changing from parallel to USB for example.