--boot from sata drive ?--Please post your boot.ini for XP or NT

Old January 8th 04, 11:48 PM
to Father Time

Default --boot from sata drive ?--Please post your boot.ini for XP or NT

Good Day All,

If your system boots from a sata drive . . .
please post your XP or NT boot.ini content.
I would appreciate examples of single or multiple sata drives.

I got my sata power cord and I am ready to start using my single sata drive
(boot from it)

Please say if your system has standard ide drives as well.

Here is an example of mine before I convert to sata (has two ide drives)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect

Kind Regards,

Father Time

Old January 9th 04, 12:32 AM
Tim

Here it is:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect

The config:

8nkxp with bios f9 - f6 until 2 days ago, no config changes, "seems OK".
Intel Ich5r sata port 0 = boot drive.
IDE Primary Master is a PATA drive.

Bios is set to boot off SATA - the new F9 lists the drive details, so the
disc on SATA port 0 is the one picked out ( ST3120023AS, rather than the
ST3800023A which is on PATA). This bios is actually clear on what you will
boot from.

The ICH5R is configured as raid, with raid drivers and IAA installed. IAA
runs and tells me I have a non-raid config.

Here is the first part of the IAA report:

Intel(R) Application Accelerator RAID Edition, 3.0.0.2246
Friday, 9 January 2004 1:28:39 p.m. (Local)
Friday, 9 January 2004 12:28:39 a.m. (GMT)

Operating System
Windows XP Professional (Build 5.1.2600, Service Pack 1)

Platform Information
Processor Type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor
Processor level: Family 15
Processor Revision: Model 2 Stepping 9
Active Processor Mask: 3
Number of Processors: 2

RAID Controller Information
IDE Controller: Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller, ICH5R
Storage Kit Build(s): 3.0.0.2246,
Storage Kit Installed: 3.0.0.2246
Driver Version: 3.5.0.2568
SATA Mode Support: Generation 1
Disk Timeout Value: Default
Flush Enable: Default, Disabled

RAID Device Information
Port0: ST3120023AS
Model: ST3120023AS
Firmwa 3.01
Device Type: ATA - Fixed
LBA (28-bit maximum): 0x0DF94BB0
LBA (48-bit maximum): 0x00000DF94BB0
CHS: 3FFF x 0010 x 003F
CHS Sectors: 0x00FBFC10
Disk Size (28-bit maximum): 111.8 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
Disk Size: 111.8 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
Current SATA Transfer Mode: Generation 1

Old January 9th 04, 01:01 PM
to Father Time

Why do you need the boot.ini? I just set my bios boot sequence and I was
good to go...

I used drive-copy software to copy my XP partion from my pata drive to my
sata drive.

If you copy drives (NT, XP), then you have to manually set up your boot.ini
if the two drives are not similar.

I am not sure what the proper boot.ini would look like for a sata boot
drive.

So if people with varous working sata configurations post them (their
boot.ini content), it will provide a road map for others who are in the
process of setting up their sata drives.

Kind Regards

Father Time

Old January 9th 04, 01:09 PM
to Father Time

Thanks Tim,

Your sata boot.ini looks like my current pata boot.ini.

I have the promise sata on the Asus A7V8x.

I beleive that you have a newer board?

Kind Regards,

Father Time

Old January 9th 04, 01:28 PM
Doug Ramage

Why do you need the boot.ini? I just set my bios boot sequence and I

was
good to go...

I used drive-copy software to copy my XP partion from my pata drive to my
sata drive.

If you copy drives (NT, XP), then you have to manually set up your

boot.ini
if the two drives are not similar.

I am not sure what the proper boot.ini would look like for a sata boot
drive.

So if people with varous working sata configurations post them (their
boot.ini content), it will provide a road map for others who are in the
process of setting up their sata drives.

Kind Regards

Father Time

I cloned rather copy my drive with Ghost, after having installed the SATA
drivers for my SATA drive via Device Manager. No problems booting.
--
Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***