Case airflow question

Old November 14th 03, 12:37 PM
ck26

Default Case airflow question

I'm wondering whether its better to have the chassis fan blowing air into
the case or out from the back of the machine - there's no other inlets to
the case since its a bog standard Tiny ATX case. I'm not thinking of
upgrading the case or cutting holes in it, before any of you suggest that
idea. Initial tests using Sandra shows that there's no really noticeable
difference. What's other people's opinions?

Old November 14th 03, 01:31 PM
MyndPhlyp

"ck26" wrote in message
.. .
I'm wondering whether its better to have the chassis fan blowing air into
the case or out from the back of the machine - there's no other inlets to
the case since its a bog standard Tiny ATX case. I'm not thinking of
upgrading the case or cutting holes in it, before any of you suggest that
idea. Initial tests using Sandra shows that there's no really noticeable
difference. What's other people's opinions?

IMO, the optimal configuration ensures coolest air flows freely over, around
and/or through the hottest components. Whether the fan sucks or blows is of
no importance unless an air filter is involved.

Old November 14th 03, 02:44 PM
ck26

IMO, the optimal configuration ensures coolest air flows freely over,
around
and/or through the hottest components. Whether the fan sucks or blows is

of
no importance unless an air filter is involved.

Yeah, that was along the lines of what I was thinking - so long as the
movement past the hot bits is adequate, then its taking the heat away - in
what direction, I guess is of no importance to those hot bits. I guess that
the importance may be to those other parts that are not being directly
cooled by fans though, which is sort of what I was implying.

Old November 14th 03, 04:18 PM

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:44:12 -0000, "ck26"
wrote:

IMO, the optimal configuration ensures coolest air flows freely over,

around
and/or through the hottest components. Whether the fan sucks or blows is

of
no importance unless an air filter is involved.

Yeah, that was along the lines of what I was thinking - so long as the
movement past the hot bits is adequate, then its taking the heat away - in
what direction, I guess is of no importance to those hot bits. I guess that
the importance may be to those other parts that are not being directly
cooled by fans though, which is sort of what I was implying.

if you're worried about cooling take one of the side panels off Just
remember to clean the inside once in awhile
Old November 14th 03, 04:25 PM
MyndPhlyp

wrote:

IMO, the optimal configuration ensures coolest air flows freely over,

around
and/or through the hottest components. Whether the fan sucks or blows

is
of
no importance unless an air filter is involved.

Yeah, that was along the lines of what I was thinking - so long as the
movement past the hot bits is adequate, then its taking the heat away -

in
what direction, I guess is of no importance to those hot bits. I guess

that
the importance may be to those other parts that are not being directly
cooled by fans though, which is sort of what I was implying.

if you're worried about cooling take one of the side panels off Just
remember to clean the inside once in awhile

Side panel either on or off doesn't make much difference around this place.
There's always more fur inside the machine than on the pets. I think they
like sleeping against it for the warmth. g

Old November 14th 03, 11:39 PM
DaveW

It should blow OUT the back of the case so it's forced to suck air in thru
all the cracks and openings elsewhere in the case.

--
DaveW

.. .

Old November 15th 03, 02:20 AM
Phrederick

"DaveW" wrote in message
It should blow OUT the back of the case so it's forced to suck air in thru
all the cracks and openings elsewhere in the case.

Such as the floppy and CD drive so they fail when they are full of dust.

Your fans should always pull more air into a case than suck out, otherwise
you draw air from other places in your case, filling everything with dust.

Old November 16th 03, 05:48 PM
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch

"Phrederick" wrote in message

"DaveW" wrote in message
It should blow OUT the back of the case so it's forced to suck air in

thru
all the cracks and openings elsewhere in the case.

Such as the floppy and CD drive so they fail when they are full of dust.

Your fans should always pull more air into a case than suck out, otherwise
you draw air from other places in your case, filling everything with dust.

.... and also creating "positive pressure" dead-air spots in your case. This
will result in higher temperatures inside the case. To counter the dust
entering the case, use air filters. Many varieties, kinds, types, and sizes
of filters are available. Put filters on the "into" openings of the case,
blow more air out the back.
This has been argued on several of the case modding sites.

Old November 16th 03, 06:50 PM
kony

"DaveW" wrote in message
It should blow OUT the back of the case so it's forced to suck air in

thru
all the cracks and openings elsewhere in the case.

Such as the floppy and CD drive so they fail when they are full of dust.

Your fans should always pull more air into a case than suck out, otherwise
you draw air from other places in your case, filling everything with dust.

... and also creating "positive pressure" dead-air spots in your case. This
will result in higher temperatures inside the case. To counter the dust
entering the case, use air filters. Many varieties, kinds, types, and sizes
of filters are available. Put filters on the "into" openings of the case,
blow more air out the back.
This has been argued on several of the case modding sites.

You might want to elaborate a bit on what you wrote, as-is it reads
like it's incorrect.

Dave
Old November 23rd 03, 09:52 PM
S.Boardman

wrote:

IMO, the optimal configuration ensures coolest air flows freely over,

around
and/or through the hottest components. Whether the fan sucks or blows

is
of
no importance unless an air filter is involved.

Yeah, that was along the lines of what I was thinking - so long as the
movement past the hot bits is adequate, then its taking the heat away -

in
what direction, I guess is of no importance to those hot bits. I guess

that
the importance may be to those other parts that are not being directly
cooled by fans though, which is sort of what I was implying.

if you're worried about cooling take one of the side panels off Just
remember to clean the inside once in awhile

I get more dust and stuff in there when the side panel is *on*...
--
Susan

PC case with front door? Neal General 3 October 26th 03 03:44 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Case Reset Button Woes rcm General 5 July 25th 03 06:02 PM
How is this case? --> Fudin ATX-228P 350W Mid Tower ATX Case phantom General 0 July 13th 03 02:49 AM