"Internet ready" blueray dvd players question

Old January 22nd 11, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Default "Internet ready" blueray dvd players question

I have a new HDTV and I want to buy a Blueray dvd player
to use with it and stream movies, etc to it. I have Verizon
cableTV and network. I also have a computer which talks
out over a cable DSLmodem, but the modem only has
one network input .. a cheapy, but works fine.

Question: is there a Blueray DVD player that has a
builtin DSLmodem ( not just another RJ45 output ) that
could go straight to the cableTV wallplate ? Or am I
stuck needing a new switch/router/DSL modem combo
with wireless modules for the Blueray ? I have looked
at a dozen Blueray boxes, and not one of them has
a coax connector on the back .. only RJ45.

I ask the Geeks, and it became pretty obvious that they
are clueless regards how all this works. They sort of know,
and they sort of evade my questions.

I also understand that there is a dedicated "Netflix" box
that will do this too. But again, does that box go to
my router/DSLmodem ? Or does it have it's own DSL
modem ?

And then, what will Verizon think of me having 2 DSL
modems ? Will they register both to one account ?

The typical answer I'm getting from all the experts goes
something like, "Yes, you need a router. " Hint: routers
don't talk out to ISPs. That is done by the DSLmodem.
Some router$ have a multiport front end switch .. a router
.... and a builtin DSLmodem. That is not a "router". It is
a combo switch-router-cable DSLmodem.

One Geek at Best Buy tried to tell me that all I needed
was an Internet Ready HDTV ... and he pointed to several
on the wall. Ain't no way that's true.

johns
Old January 22nd 11, 06:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 1/21/2011 9:38 PM, johns wrote:
I have a new HDTV and I want to buy a Blueray dvd player
to use with it and stream movies, etc to it. I have Verizon
cableTV and network. I also have a computer which talks
out over a cable DSLmodem, but the modem only has
one network input .. a cheapy, but works fine.

Question: is there a Blueray DVD player that has a
builtin DSLmodem ( not just another RJ45 output ) that
could go straight to the cableTV wallplate ? Or am I
stuck needing a new switch/router/DSL modem combo
with wireless modules for the Blueray ? I have looked
at a dozen Blueray boxes, and not one of them has
a coax connector on the back .. only RJ45.

To my knowledge, you would only be able to use one modem at any rate, so
if there were such a bluRay player, it wouldn't be of much use to you
unless you wanted to give up you're computer's connection to the internet.

You can buy a decent, consumer grade, wireless router for about $25, so
that seems like the thing to do. A wired connection between your router
and the bluRay player would probably be best, but a wireless link could
be worked out even if the player itself is not wireless, with a little
additional hardware.

I ask the Geeks, and it became pretty obvious that they
are clueless regards how all this works. They sort of know,
and they sort of evade my questions.

I also understand that there is a dedicated "Netflix" box
that will do this too. But again, does that box go to
my router/DSLmodem ? Or does it have it's own DSL
modem ?

If you're thinking of Roku boxes, they do not have a DSL modem built-in,
and again, would be of limited use to you if they did.

And then, what will Verizon think of me having 2 DSL
modems ? Will they register both to one account ?

No. See above.

The typical answer I'm getting from all the experts goes
something like, "Yes, you need a router. " Hint: routers
don't talk out to ISPs. That is done by the DSLmodem.
Some router$ have a multiport front end switch .. a router
... and a builtin DSLmodem. That is not a "router". It is
a combo switch-router-cable DSLmodem.

My advice is no different.

One Geek at Best Buy tried to tell me that all I needed
was an Internet Ready HDTV ... and he pointed to several
on the wall. Ain't no way that's true.

You've been a little vague about where you want to stream videos from.
Be sure that's clear in mind so that you can pick hardware that works
towards those goals.

Old January 22nd 11, 11:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

johns wrote:
[...]

There are devices like this, but this article isn't going to make
anything clearer for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_extender

Bluray might come in two forms. A raw drive, would fit inside a
computer, have something like a SATA interface, and work like
previous DVD or CD drives.

A Bluray player, would be a settop device, with an HDMI output.
It would sit on top of the TV, and plug directly into the back
of the TV. You'd put in the disc and play it right there.

If you instead had the Bluray drive, and had it on the computer,
then perhaps a media extender, located next to the TV, and wired
with CAT5 Ethernet cablihg, could be used to set up a streaming situation.
But equally well, you could rip the Bluray content to the computer
hard drive, and play it from there. (I see claims in the review
here, that this thing plays ISO files, where an ISO is just
an "image" of the optical disc.)

Western Digital WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player $100

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 2.0 Black TV HD Media Player (Only) STAJ100 $80

A press release from Western Digital

"WD TV Live Hub media center"
http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pressr...e-08ed7dc68099

"WD TV Live Hub Media Center $200"

I generally look at the connectors on the back, to see whether
it's roughly in the right ballpark as a device.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/22-136-831-Z04?$S640W$

From left to right, the connectors on the back a

Power input (from wall adapter)
SPDIF output (to home theatre receiver speaker system)
HDMI port to TV set (could well have audio over HDMI)
USB port
Ethernet port (RJ45, plugs into your home LAN router box)
Composite jacks (low res output composite video, left audio, right audio)
Component jacks (YPbPr, roughly same qualities as HDMI)

So basically the box has network in, and TV out. And it has storage
inside. And you can "see it" from your PC. And the device has a
remote control, so you sit on the couch and pick the content to
play. Apparently, there are even third party firmwares for it
(implying a Linux based core inside the box, which can be
updated if you don't like the official release).

I got the connector identification on the back of that example,
from this user manual.

"WD TV Live Hub Media Center User Manual"

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...779-705046.pdf

Maybe you can get what you need from that.

Instead of Cat5 Ethernet cable, you could also attempt a wireless
setup. Some media extenders have wifi already built in, or alternately,
they may take a USB Wifi dongle plugged into one of the USB ports.
But Wifi also adds in variable performance, whereas the Ethernet
cable "just works". The cable is a nuisance to run, which is
why a person might be tempted to try to set up wireless instead.

A place like an Audio/Video forum, is likely to have experts
in the field.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283694

Paul
Old January 22nd 11, 02:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
peter

?As Grinder stated your best option is a wireless router or a wired router
if
you dont mind running cable from the modem to the router to the computer and
to the Blu-ray.
Be careful when buying the Blu-ray some say wireless ready but need an extra
dongle to make it work.
also some say Netflix ready but they still have not updated the firmware to
make netflix work.
I ran into this with a Samsung machine...the wireless dongle was included
and I had no problem
connecting to my wireless router and accessing movies on my computer...but
the firmware update
they promised to access netflix never happened.

A media box is an option as Paul stated but again you would need a wireless
router to access the net.
and again you would need to read the reviews very carefully because not all
of them can access netflix...
only promises of future firmware updates

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old January 22nd 11, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_6_]

On 1/21/2011 9:38 PM, johns wrote:
snip
And then, what will Verizon think of me having 2 DSL
modems ? Will they register both to one account ?

snip

The DSL standard only allows for one DSL modem per telephone line. Hook
two of them up with some kind of telephone splitter and neither will
work correctly, if at all.

Old January 23rd 11, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

The DSL standard only allows for one DSL modem per telephone line. *Hook
two of them up with some kind of telephone splitter and neither will
work correctly, if at all.

That's what I kind of figured. I'm not on telephone.
I'm on cableTV, which means my DSLmodem is
a "cable" DSLmodem. Regardless, one modem is
one modem. Meaning, I have to go Blueray box
to DSLmodem .. and probably I need a router
with at least 2 switch inputs .. and then to the
modem. The router would take the 2 wireless
modules unless the router was already wireless
.... and then I wonder if the Blueray box could
include wireless .. which I doubt.

Ideally then, I'm shopping for an Internet Ready
HDTV which includes a small PC inside it ...
a wireless NIC .. and if I don't use a router to
share my cable DSLmodem, I need a multi-
port wireless router with RJ45 inputs to network
my laptop, PC, and IRHDTV. Hoooot ! That's
a pile of junk on the table. If no IR-HDTV, then
I need the external Blueray "computer" DVD
player .. hopefully wireless .. or 2 wireless
modules to talk to the router.

I think I'll stick to my game box PC which
has an Nvidia GTX 275 card, and just stream
Netflix to my 24 inch 16:9 lcd monitor. Then
get a whopping big HDTV and be done with it.

Must be a bunch of mad buyers out there
who don't realize what they are getting in to.

johns

Old January 23rd 11, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 1/22/2011 6:22 PM, johns wrote:
The DSL standard only allows for one DSL modem per telephone line. Hook
two of them up with some kind of telephone splitter and neither will
work correctly, if at all.

That's what I kind of figured. I'm not on telephone.
I'm on cableTV, which means my DSLmodem is
a "cable" DSLmodem. Regardless, one modem is
one modem. Meaning, I have to go Blueray box
to DSLmodem .. and probably I need a router
with at least 2 switch inputs .. and then to the
modem. The router would take the 2 wireless
modules unless the router was already wireless
... and then I wonder if the Blueray box could
include wireless .. which I doubt.

This sounds really tangled up. Just get yourself a wireless router.
They are no more expensive that a purely wired router, and will have at
least 4 wired LAN ports in addition to the wired WAN port. Practically
speaking, there's really no limit on the number of wireless devices that
can connect to that router.

Here is an expensive example:

ENCORE ENHWI-N3 802.11b/g/n Wireless Router $27

The modem will connect to the WAN port. Any wired devices can hook one
of the 4 LAN ports, and the antenna permits connection of a slew of
wireless devices.

If you have devices that are not wireless, but you want them to be
wireless, you can buy access pointers or perhaps wireless modules as has
already been discussed.

Ideally then, I'm shopping for an Internet Ready
HDTV which includes a small PC inside it ...
a wireless NIC .. and if I don't use a router to
share my cable DSLmodem, I need a multi-
port wireless router with RJ45 inputs to network
my laptop, PC, and IRHDTV.

That doesn't not really seem like a useful distinction. You could, of
course, get a router that has no wireless capability, but there's really
no reason to do that. You won't save any money, and you can disable the
feature until (or if) you need it.

Hoooot ! That's
a pile of junk on the table. If no IR-HDTV, then
I need the external Blueray "computer" DVD
player .. hopefully wireless .. or 2 wireless
modules to talk to the router.

I think I'll stick to my game box PC which
has an Nvidia GTX 275 card, and just stream
Netflix to my 24 inch 16:9 lcd monitor. Then
get a whopping big HDTV and be done with it.

Must be a bunch of mad buyers out there
who don't realize what they are getting in to.

Dedicated media devices are pretty economical compared to buying a
full-blown PC. If you already have that device, though, it sounds like
a good option.

Old January 29th 11, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

I was talking about this to a friend of mine this
week, and she says she has an HDTV that streams
HDTV from Netflix, and all she had to do was
use her controller for the HDTV to enter the SSID
of her wireless router. She doesn't have Blu-ray.
Apparently her HDTV is entirely "internet ready"
like the guy at Best Buy was saying ????????
She says the "computer" is the hand-held
controller that came with her HDTV. It is a
small computer with wireless NIC, and it talks
to the HDTV which is also wireless. Her DVD
player is not even in the picture. She has one,
but it has nothing to do with the communication
to Netflix. She was told if she wanted a Blue-ray
DVD player to talk to her router, she should go
"ethernet-over-ACpower .. takes 2 modules to
couple ethernet into her house power lines.

That little controller box is what I did not know
about apparently. It looks suspiciously like a
game console too :-)

This is really getting out of control. I"m going
to wind up with a closet full of useless, but
working, computer parts if I'm not careful.

johns
Old January 29th 11, 09:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 1/28/2011 10:14 PM, johns wrote:
I was talking about this to a friend of mine this
week, and she says she has an HDTV that streams
HDTV from Netflix, and all she had to do was
use her controller for the HDTV to enter the SSID
of her wireless router. She doesn't have Blu-ray.
Apparently her HDTV is entirely "internet ready"
like the guy at Best Buy was saying ????????

There are TVs out there that have a network interface card--either wired
or wireless--that allows them to connect to a network. If that network
is also connected to the internet, that TV might also be able to bring
down internet content, such as Netflix streams, Youtube videos, Twitter,
Facebook, etc.

Someone else has pointed out that advertised Netflix-compatibility for
these devices is sort of patchy. Netflix is sort of figuring out how to
do this, and its possible that some Netflix-ready devices may not be so
ready when they revamp their systems. I can't say much from personal
experience on that.

She says the "computer" is the hand-held
controller that came with her HDTV. It is a
small computer with wireless NIC, and it talks
to the HDTV which is also wireless.

This sentence is a little hard to decipher. She might have one of those
Logitech Revues--but it doesn't really matter. No matter how many
network devices you have, you still have to have a network for them to
connect to.

If your internet device--typically called a modem--also has a router
built in to it, you can used that to connect all of your other devices:
personal computers, internet-enabled TVs, media centers, etc.

If your modem does not have a router built-in, or if the built-in router
is wired and you want wireless connections, you should buy a wireless
router. They are not expensive. They are a reasonable starting point
for a home network.

I'll even go a little further: Even if your modem has a built-in router,
buying your own makes some sense. You can setup your home network, and
the modem would just plug into it. If you change providers, or the
means by which you get your internet, you would just have to plug that
new feed into your existing, and untouched, home network.

Her DVD
player is not even in the picture. She has one,
but it has nothing to do with the communication
to Netflix. She was told if she wanted a Blue-ray
DVD player to talk to her router, she should go
"ethernet-over-ACpower .. takes 2 modules to
couple ethernet into her house power lines.

I have had mixed results with ethernet over AC, and generally don't
recommend them. But who am I to dispute what "somebody told her?"

That little controller box is what I did not know
about apparently. It looks suspiciously like a
game console too :-)

Your bewilderment is frustrating. Would it have been that hard for you
to find out the make and model of the device so that someone could have
some idea what you're talking about? It's become apparent that is too
much for you, but can't you give the rest of us a fighting chance?

This is really getting out of control. I"m going
to wind up with a closet full of useless, but
working, computer parts if I'm not careful.

It's not really that complicated. What is it that you want to do?

Do you want to stream Netflix movies to your TV? If so, you'll need a
TV that can do that, so start shopping devices. Come in here with
candidates if you want and we can talk about the details. At a minimum,
that TV will have to have a network connection--either wired or
wireless, so find out about that. In either case, a wireless router is
a good idea.

Do you want to watch Bluray movies? If so, you can buy fairly
inexpensive players dedicated to that task. Many of those players have
network connections so you can access additional content from the
internet or some happy horse**** that I'm entirely unconvinced is worth
anything. At any rate, if you want to connect that device to the
internet, a wireless router is a good idea.

Do you want to stream movies and music from your private collection to
your television? If so, you can buy inexpensive media devices that will
play media from any network drive, or from storage in the device itself,
to your television. In this case, a wireless router is a good idea.

Do you want to do all of the above with one device? If so, you can
buy/build a home theatre PC--a desktop computer dedicated to serving up
media. Yeah you guessed it: If you're wanting an HTPC, a wireless
router is a good idea.

Have you spotted the pattern?

If you want to have several networked devices in your home, you will
need a router. Decent quality, wireless routers are inexpensive and
readily available.