Dual boot XP - Win7

Old November 8th 10, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Default Dual boot XP - Win7

If you have enough data connectors, you may find it easier to switch the
power

There's a BIG warning on that one. Seems there's a
way to generate a big spark even when off. I don't
want to network any more than I have to .. too many
cheap little power thingys to plug in .. and no place to
plug them. Then go to wireless, and they are flakey.
With my manual switches, I keep plenty of speed
.... save power ... and always reliable.

johns
Old November 8th 10, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

that with a removeable HD tray. *They're sometimes
called "hard drive caddies" or "mobile racks". *Kingwin
makes/imports a big selection of them,

thanks. I see them. Looks like it is time to get on
the phone to these guys. I've got to pin down their
stuff about the box fans. My game box uses fan
controllers to keep the noise down. Easy to do
with 120 mm fans at 800 rpm. Not so easy with
the small fans. I'm using the Antec Game case
with big fans in front too. Grrrr ! It is always
something. These cases will certainly work if
I can get one that is mostly hands off .. like
a manual sata switch would be. Another problem
"might" be that many kinds of connectors are
designed to be used only a few times. Slidding
connectors .. like sata cables .. are probably
good for 10 changes, and then they get loose.
A few hot swaps is OK. But I would be switching
from XP to 7 every single day while I train up
on 7. Eventually I'll move to 7 totally ( I think ),
but XP has been mighty good to me over the
years.

johns
Old November 9th 10, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark Lloyd[_3_]

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:34:50 -0800, johns wrote:

If you have enough data connectors, you may find it easier to switch
the power

There's a BIG warning on that one. Seems there's a way to generate a big
spark even when off.

How is that going to generate a spark, when there's no power (it's off)?

I don't want to network any more than I have to ..
too many cheap little power thingys to plug in .. and no place to plug
them.

That could be as few as ONE. Use a router with a network switch in the
same package.

Then go to wireless, and they are flakey.

Wireless does have those problems. One reason I avoid it when I can. A
cable (2 active pairs of copper wires) is a lot simpler (and so more
reliable) that what it takes to make a wireless connection.

With my manual switches,
I keep plenty of speed ... save power ... and always reliable.

More work you you, and more errors (when you forget, or when a program
running unattended needs internet access). Networking makes the devices
available at all times.

johns

--
47 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." -- Graham Greene,
1981
Old November 9th 10, 02:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Mark Lloyd" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

[snip]

Or, you can do as I do: Feed each of your internal hard drives'
power cables through DPST micro toggle switches and enable or disable
the HD by switching its power on or off.

Is there some benefit to using separate switches rather than one multi-
position switch?

Sometimes. In my situation, I wanted to keep 2 HDs running so that
I could copy clones of the OS on HD0 to HD1 or HD2, then shut down
the destination HD. But I also used separate switches because they would
fit the existing 1/4" holes in the front of the case. I didn't want to do any
drilling through the case for fear that some loose metal chip would short
something out. BTW, I actually used DPDT switches wired as DPST.
You could probably get away with switching just a single pole, but I
didn't want to experiment.

*TimDaniels*

Old November 11th 10, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
chuckster

"Mark Lloyd" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

[snip]

if the only issue is fear of loosing an install of a drive why not just disable in the BIOS?

Old November 11th 10, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

chuckster wrote:
"Mark Lloyd" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

[snip]

if the only issue is fear of loosing an install of a drive why not just disable in the BIOS?

I tried that once, and it doesn't work.

Some OSes are so clever, they'll re-enable the drives! (Linux)

Paul
Old November 11th 10, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark Lloyd[_3_]

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:23:07 -0800, Timothy Daniels wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

[...]

I haven't done it yet, but wasn't going to drill through the case but
through a small piece of plastic that covers one of the unused 5.25-inch
bays.

I suppose you switched both +5V and +12V.

--
45 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented
myself from Christian assemblies." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old November 11th 10, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark Lloyd[_3_]

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 23:54:32 +0000, chuckster wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

[snip]

if the only issue is fear of loosing an install of a drive why not just
disable in the BIOS?

Entering the BIOS, disabling one drive, enabling the other, and making
sure the boot drive is set right is a lot more work than flipping 1 or 2
toggle switches.

BTW, the word you wasted above is LOSING. You overdid it on the 'o' key.

Old November 11th 10, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Mark Lloyd" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

[...]

Yup, I switch 'em both. I assume that the 12V is for the motor, and
the 5V is for the electronics, and I switch 'em on the positive side of the
hard drive. I don't know if that is the minimal operation, but I didn't want
to experiment with switching just one voltage. Be careful, though. I got
one connection wrong the on the first try, and I burnt a fuse on the circuit
card and lost a HD. There was a quiet "snap" and the mild smell of burnt
circuitry. :-)

*TimDaniels*

Old November 11th 10, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

Default spelling errors. was: Dual boot XP - Win7

"Timothy Daniels" observed:
"Mark Lloyd" corrected:
[....]
BTW, the word you wasted above is LOSING. You overdid it on the 'o' key.

Mispelling the word "lose" is the most common spelling error on Usenet.
The second most commonly mispelled word is "separate". Most people,
it seems, spell fonetikalee.

And... of course, I misspelled "misspell". :-(

*TimDaniels*

win7 and P4's mc Dell Computers 24 September 21st 10 09:35 PM
How do I clear the dual boot screen on a system that is no long dual boot? Bluenose 637 Asus Motherboards 5 August 14th 07 01:07 AM
Dual boot XP and Vista by changing the boot drive in System Setup? Jeff Ingram Dell Computers 1 March 31st 07 05:43 PM
DUAL BOOT??? davegood Homebuilt PC's 2 May 30th 04 06:16 PM
Dual Boot, How? Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:36 PM