Maxtor RMA Advice?

Old July 25th 03, 02:07 PM
SLP

Default Maxtor RMA Advice?

My 18 month old Maxtor drive has just started making an (unbearably) loud
high pitched whine.

I've been reading the posts here on how good their rma service is, but if I
return the drive under the advanced warranty, does anyone know what would
happen if they receive the old drive and decide that the 'whine' doesn't
actually constitute a problem? Would they charge me for the drive or make a
fuss about it?

SLP

Old July 25th 03, 08:09 PM
Colin Wilson

My 18 month old Maxtor drive has just started making an (unbearably) loud
high pitched whine.
what would happen if they receive the old drive and decide that the 'whine'
doesn't actually constitute a problem? Would they charge me for the drive
or make a fuss about it?

You could always RMA it (rubber mallet "adjustment") before you RMA`d
it...
Old July 26th 03, 03:03 PM
SLP

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
My 18 month old Maxtor drive has just started making an (unbearably)

loud
high pitched whine.
what would happen if they receive the old drive and decide that the

'whine'
doesn't actually constitute a problem? Would they charge me for the

drive
or make a fuss about it?

You could always RMA it (rubber mallet "adjustment") before you RMA`d
it...

Thanks for the replies.

I'm now awaiting the replacement (probably refurbished) drive, which
hopefully will be a lot quieter than mine.

I have to say I'm impressed so far with Maxtor's service; they've replied to
two of my emails within a couple of hours with an actual human written
response, giving me the info that I'd requested. Makes a nice change from
the usual (usually worthless) auto-response. It's also commendable that they
give you the opportunity to receive the replacement drive first, therefore
giving you a chance to transfer data from the original drive. If only more
companies would provide this kind of common sense service.

And I'm sure the other 'RMA' method will come in handy one day too...

SLP

Old July 26th 03, 05:07 PM
Trythat

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:07:13 +0100, "SLP"
wrote:

My 18 month old Maxtor drive has just started making an (unbearably) loud
high pitched whine.

I've been reading the posts here on how good their rma service is, but if I
return the drive under the advanced warranty, does anyone know what would
happen if they receive the old drive and decide that the 'whine' doesn't
actually constitute a problem? Would they charge me for the drive or make a
fuss about it?

I RMA'd my 120G drive a couple of weeks ago, sent it to Ireland, cost about £7,
took about 2 weeks, received new one in the post, manufactured may 2003, and it
was a 160G. The site worked well, I was impressed, I've not bothered to RMA my
Deathstars so make of it what you will.

Old July 26th 03, 05:13 PM
Snowdon Computers

wrote:

My 18 month old Maxtor drive has just started making an (unbearably) loud
high pitched whine.

I've been reading the posts here on how good their rma service is, but if

return the drive under the advanced warranty, does anyone know what would
happen if they receive the old drive and decide that the 'whine' doesn't
actually constitute a problem? Would they charge me for the drive or make

fuss about it?

I RMA'd my 120G drive a couple of weeks ago, sent it to Ireland, cost

about £7,
took about 2 weeks, received new one in the post, manufactured may 2003,

and it
was a 160G. The site worked well, I was impressed, I've not bothered to

RMA my
Deathstars so make of it what you will.

Oh goody, I've just RMA'd a 120Gig to Maxtor. Hope they give me a 160 too.
)

--
Best Regards
Niel Humphreys

Old July 26th 03, 07:06 PM
Rosie

In message , Trythat
writes
wrote:

My 18 month old Maxtor drive has just started making an (unbearably) loud
high pitched whine.

I've been reading the posts here on how good their rma service is, but if I
return the drive under the advanced warranty, does anyone know what would
happen if they receive the old drive and decide that the 'whine' doesn't
actually constitute a problem? Would they charge me for the drive or make a
fuss about it?

I RMA'd my 120G drive a couple of weeks ago, sent it to Ireland, cost about £7,
took about 2 weeks, received new one in the post, manufactured may 2003, and it
was a 160G. The site worked well, I was impressed, I've not bothered to RMA my
Deathstars so make of it what you will.

I sent an old 20gb off last Friday (18th). don't know what I'll get
back, if anything. I thought they claimed to return in 2 days?
All in all, they do seem pretty fair though.
--
gillie
Old July 27th 03, 06:08 AM
Paul H