Need help on MSI board-told it cannot support 2 CD drives?

Old June 17th 05, 04:13 AM

Default Need help on MSI board-told it cannot support 2 CD drives?

I think I have a 915 board with case from a great vendor
http://www.mcvpc.com/ who is helping putting this together for me. We
are having problems. I sent the board and case back to them as I could
not get the barebones ystem working. They are working on it for me.

Vendor told that this motherboard board cannot support an IDE Hard Disk
Drive --AND-- Two (2) CD Drives at the same time. Can only support one
CD drive.
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...class=mb&cpu=1

*******Is this true?

If so, what are my options to get the 2 CD drives recognized?

1. Change to another MOBO?

Which MSI board can support Intel P4 3.0GHZ with HT, DDR2 400MHZ
memory, 2 CD (RW/DVD) Drives, and a floppy drive?

2. Keep motherboard and get rid of ATA/IDE drive. Change to SATA drive
and then will board support 2 CD drives and floppy?

Thanks in advance
Patty

Old June 17th 05, 05:42 AM
Eric

[...]

Some newer boards only have 1 PATA controller so you can only hook up 2 PATA
IDE devices. Having said that, these same boards usually have 4 SATA
connectors so if you had 1 SATA HDD and 2 SATA CDROMS it would be no
problem. Another possiblity is 2 PATA CD's and 1 SATA HDD which in fact is
basically how my system is composed (1 DVD Writer and 1 CD Writer on PATA
and 2 SATA HDD drives in a RAID 1 cfg)
If your not familiar with PATA vs SATA (Parallel ATA vs Serial ATA) you can
google it. SATA is the newest HDD attachment method and it will be much
faster than PATA soon. Its basically a x1 PCI-Express connection which
means as the hardware grows in capability and demands a faster connection
the x1 can re-engineered to a x4, x8 or even a x16 PCI-E connection for
truly blazing speed.
Eric

Old June 17th 05, 02:34 PM

Thanks so much.