Upgrade question

Old January 13th 06, 11:17 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Wes Newell

Default Upgrade question

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:59:43 +0000, kony wrote:

Agreed, though I use 45W. 30W "might" work with a stubby
enough tip. A solder sucker does well but in a pinch one
can just use a pick or needle to ream out the hole while
reheating it, or even a circuit board drill bit to drill a
hole.

I can see it now. Some ignorant soul is going to ruin their board with a
drill. I wouldn't have mentioned a drill. Those that know, know. Those
that don't will screw it up. So all you OP out there, don't use a drill
unless you know how a multilayer pcb is made and the purpose of the feed
holes.

Old January 13th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Wes Newell

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:02:10 +0000, kony wrote:

Well I've replaced caps on far too many boards to count, if
all one has is a 30+W iron w/good tip and a roll of solder,
it can be done... let alone with more equipment.

Agreed. It's a simple task for anyone with a little soldering experience.
And not that hard for one that has none. Small surface mount components is
a different story, but SM caps isn't that hard even with just a small
pencil iron.

Old January 14th 06, 03:35 AM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
kony

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:17:38 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:59:43 +0000, kony wrote:

Agreed, though I use 45W. 30W "might" work with a stubby
enough tip. A solder sucker does well but in a pinch one
can just use a pick or needle to ream out the hole while
reheating it, or even a circuit board drill bit to drill a
hole.

I can see it now. Some ignorant soul is going to ruin their board with a
drill. I wouldn't have mentioned a drill. Those that know, know. Those
that don't will screw it up. So all you OP out there, don't use a drill
unless you know how a multilayer pcb is made and the purpose of the feed
holes.

;-)

Maybe, but then again I can't guarantee they wouldn't ruin
it with a soldering iron or ESD or some other way... and
there's a few general presumptions, like that most wouldn't
have the right sized bits if they weren't already into
circuit board work... not like you can go to the local
hardware store and pick up a 0.021" bit, sadly the last
hardware store I was in had nothing smaller than 1\16"
Old January 14th 06, 03:55 AM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
RF

Well thanks for all of the good info, guys!
I have narrowed my mobo search down to an ecs 760gx-m or an msi k8mm-v. Both
boards appear to suit my needs. I really appreciate all of your time.

RF
"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
Not true; the electrolytic caps, which are the problem, can be dealt
with using an old fashioned soldering iron. They are still "thru-hole"
mount.

Tom MacIntyre wrote:

Too bad about those multi-layer boards requiring professional
soldering and desoldering gear...

Tom

Old January 14th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:55:53 GMT, Barry Watzman
wrote:

Not true; the electrolytic caps, which are the problem, can be dealt
with using an old fashioned soldering iron. They are still "thru-hole"
mount.

I stand corrected, if so many have been successful at it...that's what
I get for posting based on outdated information, I suppose. :-)

Tom

Old January 15th 06, 05:15 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
RF

Guys,
It's been almost 4 years since I have built a pc, and now I am finding out
about all kinds of ancillary concerns. I want to use my AMD Sempron 2800+,
my 1 GB Kingston hyperX 2700 ddr ram, a Radian 128 9000 pro, and a 4 yr old
cheftech box w/ a 450 Watt power supply, and all I need is a mobo to fit. I
had it narrowed down to a couple but now I find that I have to watch out for
things like agp slots, axt or micro axt, and low voltage issues with the
semprons on some of these boards.
But I will say this, it is a fun way to pass time.

RF

Old January 15th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Wes Newell

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:15:16 +0000, RF wrote:

Guys,
It's been almost 4 years since I have built a pc, and now I am finding out
about all kinds of ancillary concerns. I want to use my AMD Sempron 2800+,
my 1 GB Kingston hyperX 2700 ddr ram, a Radian 128 9000 pro, and a 4 yr old
cheftech box w/ a 450 Watt power supply, and all I need is a mobo to fit. I
had it narrowed down to a couple but now I find that I have to watch out for
things like agp slots, axt or micro axt, and low voltage issues with the
semprons on some of these boards.
But I will say this, it is a fun way to pass time.

You're missing the most important part. Make sure the board can do at
least 266MHz FSB, and has a locked PCI/AGP speed if you plan on getting
anywhere close to what that cpu can be clocked to. Hopefully that is a
socket 754 Sempron, and not a socket A. If it's a socket A, forget it. If
you already have a socket A Sempron, the same thing applies though. Get a
board that will do at least 200MHz FSB with a locked PCI/AGP bus.

Old January 16th 06, 01:50 AM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
RF

Thanks guy, most boards that I am looking at are 800 FSB. (It is a socket
754). Quite a few out ther for 50 - 60 dollars.

RF

Old January 16th 06, 12:29 PM posted to alt.certification.a-plus,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Wes Newell

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 01:50:13 +0000, RF wrote:

Thanks guy, most boards that I am looking at are 800 FSB. (It is a socket
754). Quite a few out ther for 50 - 60 dollars.

That's the HT link speed, not the clockspeed which the cpu uses with thr
multiplier to determine core speed. All 754/939/940 cpu's default to
200MHz. You need this to go really high on the board you get.

Video Card Upgrade Question Mulder, it's me... Dell Computers 3 December 27th 05 03:12 AM
CPU upgrade question Tom S General 3 December 20th 05 08:49 PM
Upgrade Question Don W. McCollough Gateway Computers 8 November 21st 05 12:27 PM
Dimension 8400 Dual Mem Upgrade Question [email protected] Dell Computers 2 April 1st 05 08:52 AM
GeForce4 Ti 4200 Upgrade Question Aphelion Nvidia Videocards 18 April 10th 04 08:37 PM