Maximum logical drive size that will allow scandisk to run

Old December 20th 03, 11:53 PM
Daniel Prince

Default Maximum logical drive size that will allow scandisk to run

A friend of mine runs Windows 98 SE. He has an 80 gig drive partitioned
as one logical drive. He can not run scandisk. Windows says he does
not have enough memory.

He says he has 240 megs of ram. What is the maximum logical drive size
that will allow scandisk to run on his system? Would more ram help or
does scandisk use conventional memory only? Thank you in advance for
all replies.
--
the only way I could keep my cat off the kitchen table
would be to tie him up with a cable
Old December 21st 03, 12:19 AM
CJT

Daniel Prince wrote:

A friend of mine runs Windows 98 SE. He has an 80 gig drive partitioned
as one logical drive. He can not run scandisk. Windows says he does
not have enough memory.

He says he has 240 megs of ram. What is the maximum logical drive size
that will allow scandisk to run on his system? Would more ram help or
does scandisk use conventional memory only? Thank you in advance for
all replies.

I dunno, but this machine runs W98SE and just finished a scandisk on an
80 gig drive partitioned as one big disk with only 256 MB of RAM. Does
your friend have a lot of programs open when he tries? Does your friend
have all MSFT's patches applied?

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the
Old December 21st 03, 03:04 AM
Eric Gisin

He did not use Microsoft format, and chose a small cluster size that results
in too large FAT for DOS. Reformat and reinstall Windows.

news

Old December 21st 03, 03:12 AM
Rod Speed

Daniel Prince wrote in message
news
A friend of mine runs Windows 98 SE. He has an 80 gig
drive partitioned as one logical drive. He can not run scandisk.
Windows says he does not have enough memory.

Thats a scandisk problem usually caused by too many clusters
in the partition, caused by the use of non standard cluster sizes.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=kb;ko;229154

He says he has 240 megs of ram.

Thats irrelevant.

What is the maximum logical drive size
that will allow scandisk to run on his system?

That drive would be fine if standard cluster sizes had been used.

Would more ram help

Nope.

or does scandisk use conventional memory only?

Its more complicated than that. Its a 16 bit app which does
have a problem with not having access to enough memory
to handle all the clusters if a non standard cluster size is used.

Old December 21st 03, 05:07 AM
Daniel Prince

CJT wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:

A friend of mine runs Windows 98 SE. He has an 80 gig drive partitioned
as one logical drive. He can not run scandisk. Windows says he does
not have enough memory.

He says he has 240 megs of ram. What is the maximum logical drive size
that will allow scandisk to run on his system? Would more ram help or
does scandisk use conventional memory only? Thank you in advance for
all replies.

I dunno, but this machine runs W98SE and just finished a scandisk on an
80 gig drive partitioned as one big disk with only 256 MB of RAM. Does
your friend have a lot of programs open when he tries? Does your friend
have all MSFT's patches applied?

I am afraid that I do not know what MSFT patches are. I assume that MS
is Microsoft but I do not know what FT is.
Old December 21st 03, 06:02 AM
CJT

Daniel Prince wrote:

CJT wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:

A friend of mine runs Windows 98 SE. He has an 80 gig drive partitioned
as one logical drive. He can not run scandisk. Windows says he does
not have enough memory.

He says he has 240 megs of ram. What is the maximum logical drive size
that will allow scandisk to run on his system? Would more ram help or
does scandisk use conventional memory only? Thank you in advance for
all replies.

I dunno, but this machine runs W98SE and just finished a scandisk on an
80 gig drive partitioned as one big disk with only 256 MB of RAM. Does
your friend have a lot of programs open when he tries? Does your friend
have all MSFT's patches applied?

I am afraid that I do not know what MSFT patches are. I assume that MS
is Microsoft but I do not know what FT is.

MSFT is Microsoft's stock ticker symbol. So the question is whether all
Microsoft's patches have been applied.

Old December 21st 03, 02:25 PM

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:53:54 GMT, Daniel Prince
wrote:

A friend of mine runs Windows 98 SE. He has an 80 gig drive partitioned
as one logical drive. He can not run scandisk. Windows says he does
not have enough memory.

He says he has 240 megs of ram. What is the maximum logical drive size
that will allow scandisk to run on his system? Would more ram help or
does scandisk use conventional memory only? Thank you in advance for
all replies.

weird.

On the new Large drives bigger than 128Gig, the documentation says to
keep partitions to 128Gig or less for older disk utilities to work.

Old December 23rd 03, 11:10 PM
Jim

Are there any good free utils to use instead of scandisk. I have a 160G set
as one large data partition and would like to be able to check it.

Old December 24th 03, 12:20 AM
Eric Gisin

Why should there be? Windows 98/ME does not support that configuration. Get
a supported OS.

Old December 24th 03, 01:07 AM
Rod Speed

Eric Gisin wrote in message

Why should there be?

Because some may choose to use drives that large, stupid.

Windows 98/ME does not support that configuration.
Get a supported OS.

Just one way.

Jim wrote